Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single carb tunnel ram setup help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950Gasser, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

Heay guys, I'm running a 406 sbc with an older (1972). Single carb edelbrock tunnel ram. I'm going to be firing it up soon, but before I do is there anything I can or should do carb wise before hand. The carb is a newer edelbrock. I believe it's a 650 cfm. I'm also running a medium cam.

Im just being proactive to fix issues now. Thanks for any advice!

2. I recomend a holly 750 dp with 4 corner idel circuts. It will help you tune that puppy better

3. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Ran a 283 with single tunnel ram, used cheapo 600 Holley and it worked well.

4. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

Not that holly is a bad product but I figured that I can rejet the edelbrock that I have. Just thinking about saving some dough.

5. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

You might not have to do anything to the Edelbrock carb if it's new or hasn't been sitting around if it's used. I like them for easy setup and tuning options . I run 2 500s on a tunnelram with a tired small block with no problems. Get it running first, make initial adjustments and go from there.

6. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Keep us posted with your experience. I have a single carb Weiand and a Carter 750 on the shelfes, and it shall go on my 350 later this summer. Never had run a tunnel ram before so please keep the posts coming.

7. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

Will do, I started running the wires, won't be home till next week though. Looking forward to it though!

8. Weasel

Weasel

Running a Weiand tunnel ram with a single top and an Edelbrock 1407 600cfm out of the box on this built (ca. 420+ hp) SBC with TH350 and 4.10 Detroit Locker 9". Runs fine and gets reasonable gas mileage too - you should be fine....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

If it's just a street car your Edelbrock will run just fine, If you plan to drag race it or scream the mill at high rpm on the street most often, then will the larger Holley will work better. Save your money and use what you have.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  10. Weasel, that looks like the intake i polished and sold a few years back....built my blown vega wagon mainly by polishing intakes and such...radius all the edges with dies...inside and out....only a handfull of manifolds done so throughly............

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure a single 600cfm anything on a 406 SBC will be ideal. It will probably be a little small and starve for fuel at higher rpm's. Be sure to set up your accelerator pump linkage for a maximum shot so it doesn't lag on lowend throttle.

12. fortfun

fortfun

With your displacement you should be OK. The Eddy won't lean out on you at higher RPM if tuned properly, but could limit airflow if you are trying to make over 400HP. Even then you won't lose that much top end.

You are definitely going to want the larger pump shot setting, as someone else noted. You have a big plenum there, and need to shoot in plenty of fuel when you open the throttle.

These things tend to run the back two cylinders lean at part throttle, and even the front two, due to the distance from the primary venturies to those runners. 6 & 5 tend to grab the fuel that you would like to get to 7 & 8.

Do you have an automatic? Hopefully you have some stall speed.

13. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

I do have an automatic T350

14. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ

It fired up today for the first time in months! Ran smoooooth all the way through the power band! It took all of 2 seconds to fire up.

15. 1950Gasser

1950Gasser
    from NJ