Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Help UN-lowering 55 olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VintageVoltage, Mar 7, 2012.

1. VintageVoltage

VintageVoltage

Hi guys,

So I'm new here (did my intro :D) as well as new to the hobby. This is my 55 olds that I bought earlier this year. For the most part stock but at one time all but one of the rear leafs were removed from the springs to achieve the staring at the sky stance it has now. My fiance is helping me make this a mild custom, and we've been trying to track down new or used 55 olds leaf springs to add back to the pack. So far this has proved a major challenge. What I want to do is just un-do that lowering and raise it back up to achieve a better ride and stance. So is there maybe another vehicle or leaf set up that would work under this car? Or another alternative altogether to bring it back to stock height or close? (no bags)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks:p!

[​IMG]

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I would contact Detroit eaton springs and have them custom make you some new springs. That way you get the ride height you want and they can also match up shocks for you.

3. batt69nova

batt69nova
    from OR

4. Ole don

Ole don

Remove the rear springs and take them to a reputable spring shop for rebuilding. They should come in less than a hundred bucks each including new bushings for each end.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All but ONE one of the leaves removed? That must be a joy to drive. What are some people thinking!?

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

That's the problem these days...most simply don't think...!!!

VintVolt...most stuff those years interchange...find a junker and have them removed...

R-

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I'm a cheapskate. Measure the width of the springs, side to side. Should be like 1 1/2 or 2 inches. With tape measure in hand go to a Pick-A-Part and start measuring GM springs. Cars, pick ups, what ever. Can't find GM's? Try Mopar and Ford. Buy two complete leaf springs take them apart and take what you have apart. Add, subtract as needed to get what you want for height and ride quality. May take a try or two, and you may need to drill the center bolt hole out a bit. But leaf springs ain't complicated. You can't do any thing to make it worse than it looks now.

8. squirrel

squirrel

hollander says 51-60 olds all use the same rear spring. It does not interchange with buicks or pontiacs, though.

9. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Have you looked in your yellow pages for a spring shop? If you take the original down they could probably fab up a new set.

10. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal