Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions on buying steel in St. Louis Area

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JPMACHADO, Feb 25, 2012.

1. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

I am looking for a good place in the St. Louis, MO area to buy steel (tubing, plate, sheet) for my projects. I know how to use google and other searches, but I would like to find a place that has good customer service and prices, and those things are not listed when a search is done.

I've been to several places in other areas and having a shop that understands hobbiests' needs can make a big difference. I hate dealing with places that make it uncomfortable to come in and buy what you need.

Thanks for any help.
    John

Also, I did do a search on here, and I saw a thread about a guy starting his own welding shop in his garage in the St. Louis area. However, that thread went in a different direction and was not much help.

2. pool

pool

I've had pretty good luck with shapiro but I bet you'll end up with more than just steel if you look around.

3. ferret2

ferret2

x2 on Shapiro. Not your normal steel supplier as they have much more to offer - overstocks, weird alloys and parts, etc. They are unique enough to have been featured on the show American Pickers. If you want mainstream suppliers then there is EM Jorgensen and Ryerson but I can't vouch for their customer service. My factory buys from EMJ so that must say something.

4. studebaker46

studebaker46

exactly what part of st louis are you in i deliver steel to suppliers and fab shops tom

5. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

St Charles County.

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

It pays to shop around Most the bigger suppliers don't cater to small orderers. Check around some of the fab/machine shops in your area especially those that do shearing,bending and burning. Those are more likely to have "drops" or "rems" that they are willing to deal on. No sense in buying a 4'x8' sheet when a couple square feet will do.

7. Scotts1929

Scotts1929

Eric at woodsmith steel in jefferson county, Big or small, he cuts it for you, he sells it all, Nice guy and open on saterday till about noon.

8. mlbeil

mlbeil
    from Arnold, MO

I agree with Scotts1929, Woodsmith is good, the price is right, and I am lucky enough to live a couple of miles from him. Always nice to help out the little supplier on the block. I would also 2nd Shapiro, they have all kinds of material.

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Shapiro is where I go. The owner is very nice and they have good prices.

10. ironpile

ironpile

I vote for Shapiro,plenty of inventory and many strange pieces lying around.

11. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

HASLAG Steel, just outside of Washington MO is very user-friendly. Family owned shop. I stop by whenever I need material cut or sheared, and they ALWAYS treat me like a million dollar customer. Very nice people.