Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I agree, horror movies that is. I still love ''the Texas chainsaw massacre''the original one from the 70's.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Because people can turn on the evening news or click on the internet and see real horror. We've gotten used to gore and movies can't come up with new "shockers".

My parents took me and my siblings to see Psycho at the drive in when we were young. I still take a shower with the door locked. Kids today have seen classmates shot at school and all sorts of other crap. What used to happen only in the movies, happens everyday in real life and we're just used to it. Kinda sad, if you think about it.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Ever see the movie "Heavy Metal" on that stuff????..:eek::D

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

purple haze, micro dot, white or brown. id freak if i did that today. but oh boy when i was young!!went trippin to see fritz the cat.had to go back a few days later to see what i missed. all i remember from the first time when i saw it was ai laughed so hard my side hurt for a week. wanted to see if it was the acid or the movie that made me laugh so hard.and it was window pane that nite.didnt much like the hippies either. liked the girls though.lol free love. oh yea.i ran with the bikers and a few hot roddersand loved to fight.kinda gettin ot here sorry ,just flashing back or is that having a flashback.lol

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, I saw a LOT of things on purple microdot...;):rolleyes:

6. While it wasn't a horror movie, I think it was '72 or '73, my friend Larry and I (were like 9 or 10 yo) snuck into an afternoon showing of The Sting with Robert Redford & Paul Newman. There is a scene in the movie where a hitwoman gets shot in the forehead. You see the entrance wound for a brief moment... A woman in the theater seeing the movie stood up 12-15 rows ahead of us, let out a blood curdling scream and then ran up the aisle past us covering her mouth with her hands. Larry and I thought it was the neatest thing we had seen in our young lives... To this day, it is one of my favorite movies.

7. I remember these things!

Attached Files:

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

As a child of the 70's, I remember all my brothers and their friends having their cars jacked up in the rear. That is also where my love of Cragars came from. Still have a soft spot for that look. Certainly looks better than the way they do muscle cars now with 20 inch wheels, etc......at least to me anyway.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Ya! Just stay away from the brown stuff... ;)

10. Loved The Sting remember getting the album of the score. Also the Great Waldo Pepper a movie you hardly ever see.

The one that scared the bejeebers outta us was Jaws. When that head popped out of the boat, man we jumped! Good times!

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Was the Amityville Horror in the 70s? Sure scared the crap out of my young ass!

Speaking of scary, remember Levi's Gremlins? Ugly cars with denim!

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

As a child of the 70's I was heavy into AFX and Tyco slots, dad's old Lionel train set and zip cars made by Kenner. (What were they called)? Had a flywheel and maybe sparks?

13. Deuces

Deuces

I thought the Levi's option was cool!!
    I wish Ford had that option for my Mustang... I would had ordered it that way....

14. [​IMG]

and in recognition of the bicentenial, the "sprit" nova made an appearance ... God Bless America

[​IMG]
    And Ford, not to be out done did the Mustang Shelby in '76 ... no more horsepower ... just graphics!

15. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

I think they were called SSP CAR -
    they had a "T" handled zip-tie sorta thingy to rev er up
    Boss... Def

16. I don't know if this was universal, but I remember cars in the 70's in my area would have have those little green, yellow, red, and blue evergreen air-freshener trees hanging from the vent knobs on each side under the dash. Some guys never threw the old ones out. I remember seeing in some cars big clots of them hanging from each vent knob. Was that just the 70's... or 50's or 60's, too?

17. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Those helped with mask the stench of spilled bong water..

18. Deuces

Deuces

Feathered roach clips hanging from the rear view mirror... :eek::rolleyes::D

19. Master of None

Master of None

You guy's remember the toy cars called clutch popper's? They sound similar but they had a button "the clutch" you had to push after you pulled the T-handle. Think I still have my older brother's somewhere.....

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I used to buy a hundredlot of red dragon and do the four corner hits in one sitting...WHOH NELLY!:eek:

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Think that was NW thing, it was real popular around here too. They were about the only thing that would overpower the smell that you really didn't want the cop that had just pulled you over to smell.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Used to be a Levis 401 AMX in my home town. I would bet that was actually a very rare car.

23. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purple Barrel
    Blotter

Panama Red
    Dirt Weed
    Columbian

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Close but that's it. The Kenner SST cars

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

26. Skirv

Skirv

They were in fact "SSP" cars, not SST.

[​IMG]

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

So I tried it,.... Thought I was gonna' Die !!!! (Alka-Seltzer Commercial)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  28. Harms Way

Harms Way

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Ah yes, the 70's, when many went muscle car crazy! (including myself!) In the early 70's I had my '55 gasser that was my fun car, but my daily driver was a '71 Camaro 427. One way up high, and one down low!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  30. Harms Way

Harms Way

And there was the other stuff ,...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]