Register now to get rid of these ads!

I would like to see Flathead engines painted in gold color.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Mar 4, 2012.

1. I would like to see how a V8 Flathead painted in gold color will look. I cannot make up my mind if I want it Red or Gold. I am planning to paint my track T gloss black with the engine in gold as i have seen them before not sure if it was the later Lincoln or which model had them painted gold. thanks for the help. Or would it be better to paint it red.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

How about metalic maroon

Attached Files:

3. Not very good pictures, but the flatty I pulled out of my '34 was black painted over gold at some point. When I rebuild it, I'll probably paint it a gold similar to what is shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

Ziggster likes this.
  5. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

And another

[​IMG]

Ziggster and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. jazz1

jazz1

Gold looks good,,I just never used another colour 'cause I got a crapload of high heat blue for nothing I gotta use up. Last engine someone asked why it not orange,,"cause I don't have any orange" Again,,the gold looks sharp,,only ever seen gold heads on the flatties..

7. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Here's mine. Dual intake coming on next.

[​IMG]

8. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I appreciate everyone feedback on this. Now I have an idea how it would look.

Thanks
    Frenchy

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

First picture is two colors of VHT. One is called Gold Flake, the other is Burnt Copper. I really liked them both. I went with Burnt Copper, as seen in the pictures, but it's pretty close to Gold Flake.

Attached Files:

10. zep058

zep058

^^^whoa! All that color packed in a spray pack?!?

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sears-Roebuck used to paint their rebuilt engines gold. When we were 14 and 15, we'd look for these engines in San Jose junk yards...
    I found a factory relieved 59 AB Sears rebuild in a '36 Five window Coupe that had been rolled.
    (Tex's Auto Wreckers, on Mabury Rd.)
    Tex gave me the engine complete with fan, crab distributor and clutch, $40.00.

I couldn't wait to get it home and paint it red!!! LOL

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  12. That's pretty funny I painted a red merc flatty gold once. :D

13. Thanks for the pictures I like the color I will have to paint my engine the same with the a corn nuts.

Frenchy

14. sfeldma

sfeldma

What paint brand/color is this? I Want it.

15. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

It's a Suburau (sp) mighty brown is the colour.

16. Dave50

Dave50

Thats awesome LMAO :D:D:D Nice color.....

17. alchemy

alchemy

That's funny, cause the flathead in my '40 is painted a Subaru color of blue. Looks a lot like later "Ford Blue".

18. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

I LOVE GOOOLD!!!! Damn Kiwi Kev. That color combo is righteous.

So yeah this is a highboy roadster that was painted by me for a fellow Cheaters club member Tim Walker and we decided to go with a custom single stage enamel gold/copper for the flatty. I think it really pops on the washington blue. This car was totally finished with interior this winter. Gold for sure gets my vote.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Props to Cheater Jack and LuckyLilly Studios for the pics. This whips going to be at vintage torque fest with it's all finished interior.

19. daddio211

daddio211

20. Combinations of gold & dark blue or gold & maroon are allways nice to see.

21. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Wow I just found this thread hope you are able to enjoy this . I bought these EAB-B heads they been sitting outside on a rack with many other Flathead heads for many years and just about all had been sold except these and they were unrecognizable except that they were EAB-B and rusty but surface still has copper gasket attached . I lightly wire brushed them to remove the layer of rust and found a light blue spray paint then brought them back and dry polished them with a polishing barrel on a die grinder and that removed most of the light blue someone had spray painted years ago and gold started to show and thought of the copper heads from 1951 but saw that these are not copper but gold so I googled to find knowing that the gold paint was not spray paint it some real tough back in the day engine paint with lead in it ! So came up with this thread so here are the heads from find to finish except the milled surface I will use an oil stone to clean that ever so lightly . So Sears rebuild ? Wow that great to know glad to have found their history thank you

Attached Files:

22. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

I may have found a pair of heads from a Sears rebuild . Perhaps you can tell me if they are . Thank you

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sears used local rebuilders in bigger cities. When I worked for Sears in the 60’s the long blocks were metallic blue with red rocker arm covers. Flathead (any manufacturer) same blue blocks with red cylinder heads.
    Piston Supply in Los Angeles painted their rocker covers dark blue and the block/heads gold. Any flathead was all gold.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Flathead Freddie likes this.
  24. The OP hasn't been on the hamb since 2014. HRP

Just Gary likes this.
  25. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

That's great and I thank you for the true history I've seen many boxes marked Piston Supply they must have had a great reputation . I know the paint on the heads is good for another 70 years and from what I can tell from the surface of they were milled they did use an oil stone like the factory used . Oh yes Sears may have used Torrance Auto Parts where my first flathead was rebuilt . That was in 1975 it wasn't a Sears rebuild but that's where I remember the boxes from I'm guessing they were engine parts . Torrance Auto Parts had a full machine shop then . When we were around 7 to 10 years old a bunch of us kids thought the red rockers were cool . Lol us kids we were into Hot Wheels back then but seems there was Hot Rods everywhere Torrance was like a rolling car show for us . Oh I did make it to an Artesia/Hawthorne Show and will be there again this Saturday . Thanks for the show tip ! and have a nice evening

26. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Ok