Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC 327 Oil Pressure Sender Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rgrhoward, Mar 4, 2012.

1. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

Did some searching and i want to make sure i have it straight.

I know i can run my Oil Pressure Sender behind the Distributor, or down my the Oil filter on my application. 1968 327 SBC.

There are 2 plugs by the Oil Filter on directly above it and the one that i used. The one directly above is going to need some heat to get out, thats why i went with this one.

Can some one shed some light on this for me? Will it work fine where i have it?

Pics below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure what the difference is but what's the reason for not putting it up on the block behind the manifold? outside of the fact that sender is huge and may not have clearance at the firewall that is.

3. rgrhoward

rgrhoward

I was going to run it there but as you said its a very tight fit. I picked up a 90 degree street elbow to try and make it work but i will have to take my Intake all the way off to spin it in. Not really wanting to do that at this point but i may have to.

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It should be fine there. I think if you ran a wire in the hole you have the sender in and another wire in the hole next to the distributor, they will touch.

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I may get ragged for this but isn't that hole threaded for a clutch ball????
    I have always used the lower one(1/4 npt)? Start the car and see if you have pressure.

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I assume it was pipe thread or the sender wouldn't have fit and the hole wouldn't have had a plug in it. Isn't the hole for the clutch pivot ball in front of the filter? It would be the white spot on the left in the first picture.

7. sy1356

sy1356

Im with 26 roadster on this. The oil pressure sender needs to go in the next hole down. The one directly above the oil filter. That hole is for the clutch ball bracket.

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i thought it was the lower hole also. now curious about exhaust clearance? may have to add extension and elbows to clear. i would try different sending unit. just my .02 cents

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yeah I think thats the clutch ball spot. Sorry if I'm giggling a bit.

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I run mine next to the dist. with a 45 degree adapter not a big problem to get to and the wire runs over to my engine harness and thru the firewall, all in one group.

11. Use the other hole just below and foward. This is used to plug the cross drilling from the outside of the block over to the blocks upper rear main saddle and it intersects with the verticle { clean } oil filter pressure flow out. Think about your header clearance possibility issues, TR

12. Dave 39

Dave 39

I had the same problem, found a 45 degree street ell. They are available in brass or galvanized. Worked for me. Dave

13. speedy383

speedy383

14. rgrhoward

rgrhoward