Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T coupes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sakelley22, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

just wondering why it it that nobody builds T coupes earlier than a 26 is it because of looks or because there just not many around or what I look on here all the time and can never remember seeing one at a show:confused:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Way too much wood!

3. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

I have one in my shop now that doesn't have a rust hole or dent anywhere what should I do wood is decent in it but should I fab metal braces or forget about building it

4. Neat cars when built and quite rare to see one rodded. Wood is the problem. They consist of a complete wooden framework with metal skins tacked to it. If your wood is good, just replace the bad pieces and build it. Pat

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Take a bit of time and do some metal bracing as you thought. Talk to some one in the old house restoration biz, 'cause they use allot of resin type products that soak into old wood and rienforce it. Thing is with old wood, you think it's great, but you start driving the car and suddenly things start moving around, and then it starts to fall apart. Honestly, if it was mine (and I wish it was!) I would pull all the wood, tack the skins together and with 16 ga. tubing and sheet build a structure from steel. Much better deal.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

termite cars... big time.

i'll jump on the "keep the good wood, replace bad with steel and brace the whole thing with tubing" bandwagon
    :cool:

7. S.F.

S.F.

Its not entirely because of the wood, there just impossible to find as well.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Forget it. Not worth the trouble. Load it on a pallet, and ship it to me, and I will dispose of it in an enviromentally responsible manner.:D

9. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

I was kinda thinking along the lines of need louvers, when this thing was found it had been inside an old semi trailer for about 45 years its actually pretty amazing doors still open and close windsheild crank still works

10. And no one is that small. :eek:

If I had a solid one I would consider building it. I would not use the old wood for anything other than picture frames. Either build new wood using the old for templates or built a metal skeleton and attached the sheet metal to it.