Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Mercury Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, May 18, 2011.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I also got the rest of what I needed to put my engine back together...or so I thought. I got sent the wrong main bearing and rod bearings. The main bearing they sent me were for a 312 Y-block and the rod bearings were 010. over...I needed standard. Hopefully the replacements will be in by next week.

Attached Files:

2. mdapperdan

mdapperdan
    from Az.

Great car. Not crazy about the chop? Maybe the "B" pillars need a forward slant with less removed from the "A" pillars? Just my $.02 Have fun

3. Arieldouglas

Arieldouglas

Really? I mean, Really!

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Last night I did not have much time to work on the Merc..Since I didnt get off work until almost 8. I did manage to remove the mounting ring from my cap. It was an easy process. I just had to drill out the 2 rivets and pry apart the ring a little and it came right off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Looking good. Interesting build. Hope to see it at one of the local cruise nights.

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Last night I drilled and Tapped the spindles.

Attached Files:

7. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

You will see it as soon as I get it going....It will probably be close to the end of summer.

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Yesterday I finished painting the frame. Then I started on making a roll pan for the rear. I had to cut off part of the lower valance panel. I then tacked the roll pan into place. It is sticking out at a funky angle right now..i did it this way so I can roll it down and get a nice transition in the upper part of the panel. I also took a few mins and started forming some 1/4 rod into the shape of the tail light housing. I hope to have both the roll pan and tail lights finished this weekend.

Attached Files:

9. Kage, your car is coming along well! Also some good news on my part. If all goes well...My car shoulf be coming home in about 2 weeks. Yo keep asking about mine and I have no updates. Well here you go haha

10. gatz

gatz

Newbie here.

great build Kage. Always loved the 56 Mercs.
    You guys amaze me with your expertise at body work, fabbing, and figuring things out.
    (got about 14 threads subscribed to..)

What were your plans for the steering wheel?

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of reducing the OD of a steering wheel for my 40 Chrysler.
    What material works for replacing cut-out sections of the hard composite stuff?

I've done some build-up and crack filling on a steering wheel for a tractor using a 2-part epoxy (PC-7) and it's coming out fine, but didn't know exactly what should be used.

Again, great build. Dog's OK too.

Gatz

11. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I'm using a 2-part epoxy myself. Ill get some pics of the finished wheel up soon.

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I finished painting the frame and reassembled the suspension. I also reangled my pinion angle and finished adding my floating hubcaps to the car.

Attached Files:

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

looking good bro!

I may have to pick your brain a little on them floating caps :)

14. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I have a tech thread on hear about how to do them. but feel free to ask any questions...Ill help all I can

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

thanks bro!

you coming up for auto fair or shady side????? :D

I know some rad dudes that might put you up for the weekend if you do ;)

16. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Not sure yet...all depends on work...what are the dates

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

auto fair is the weekend of april the 18th I think and shady side is in may. not sure on the date, I wanna say the 25th but you should do a search to verify.

both are a damn awesome time!

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

No big updates right now. Im still waiting on my engine bearings to come in. I moved the frame into position to get it back under the body here soon. I also got my new body mount pads in.

Attached Files:

19. Lookin good. Cant wait to see it together

20. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Last night I wasnt feeling the best so I only managed to weld up the holes in my firewall.

Attached Files:

21. Atleast it was something! So you plan on smoothing the whole firewall?

22. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

No....It will be mostly stock....the previous owner had drilled a couple of holes in the firewall...I think he was trying to get to the top 2 transmission bolts. I was just filling them back in.

23. Cool. Im doing the same. All stock linkage and all! Just modified to the tri power.

24. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

My engine bearings came in today....I should have the motor together tomorrow...but tonight its Party time with my Hooligan brothers!

25. Awesome! Now you will have a power plant.

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Almost got the engine back together. Still have a few small things to do. I changed the engine color to match the paint job that will be on the car. If everything goes good the Motor and trans will be dropped in the car this weekend.

Attached Files:

27. RI5KY

RI5KY

Brads old Merc. Looking very good!

28. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Yep...Brad is a cool guy. Ive been keeping him updated on the progress of the build.

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I had to replace My crank shaft end bolt....and you can see from the pic the original bolt was about to snap...it was stretched and getting thin in the middle.

I also started sanding the inside of the roof and the floor boards down. I will have a coat of paint on them this weekend.

Attached Files:

30. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Great build. I really appreciate the fact that you modified the stock suspension to run on bags rather than clippin it or using a MII crossmember and arms.
    Thumbs up!