Register now to get rid of these ads!

BB in a 49-52 Chevy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jkane, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jkane

jkane

Getting ready to start a project and would like some advice from someone that has already done it. I am going to install a big block into a 52 Chevy. any photos of your project,or advice, other than don't do it?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

2. squirrel

squirrel

do it! It's been done, I don't have any pictures handy....but it'll be fun.

Make sure you put a big radiator in there. And support the front of the body properly.

3. jkane

jkane

Thanks for the support. I plan to run a good aluminum radiator. Any photos, or anybody done this to a 49-52??

4. jkane

jkane

5. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Hah ok one last question...what does bttt, or ttt, or bump mean? Could never figure it out!

6. Rogueman

Rogueman

To the top or Back to the top.

7. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Woops didnt mean to post that on this thread but thanks for the answer anyways!! Haha

8. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I did it in early 70's might want to consider a front motor plate if it's really a hot BBC, The top hat frame is kinda weak to weld motor mounts onto it. I ripped my driver side out twice. I installed a chain the second time and hit the guard rail at the 1/8 mile track in Lawerence ks, end of broken motor mounts...end of car!
    Have Fun

9. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Dont do it!, just kidding. I heard alot of that with my bbc plans in my model a. If I can stuff it in an "A" frame, you can (and should) put in your 52. However this choice of motor will cause you endless headaches and mental torture and will be sooo worth it. Good Luck!

10. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I had an ol' timer tell me years ago when I was a teenager trying to put a 392 Hemi in my '40 Ford coupe --"You can put any engine in anything if you raise it up high enough and drop it hard enough." Go for it, it will be fun.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these cars have V8 swap troubles on the drivers side as far as exhaust manifolds and steering clearance with the stock parts. A big block probably doesn't help much in that area.

12. My buddy is running a 572 crate motor in his 52 Coupe. It has a Camaro clip. CRAZY FAST!!! 2nd gear will snap your neck!! Go for it!! The only real issue he had with the 572 is he had to add a vaccum canister for the power brakes to work properly. He had a 454 in it before the 572 and did not have that problem. Todd

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

jkane, I am considering the same with my 51. are you running the stock front susp or have you swapped to something else. I am not sure you can get one to fit with the stock susp without having a set of custom built exhaust manifolds. the extra width will make it tough. I plan to do a MII front susp next winter and will probably try to install the BBC then.

here is a picture of what I think might be the nicest chevy of our style with a BBC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What I personally like best about this car, is the chrome reverse wheels, with 55/56 Chevrolet dog dish hub caps; the black centers (55) would go better than the white (56) ones, and black walls also. I'll bet it snaps your neck! Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

Here's a cool one i saw a couple years ago...

Attached Files:

16. jkane

jkane

How do I get in touch with him? I would like to see what he did abot the firewall, frame, headers, etc.
    Jeff

17. He doesnt do computers. No firewall mods, Camaro clip. I believe the headers are custom Todd

18. HrdNox

HrdNox
    from utah

Don’t know if this helps being this is a 53’ and it has a full frame but it (572) fit like a glove.

Attached Files:

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

jkane, you never said if you are attempting this with a stock frame and steering, MII, clip or aftermarket frame. I know with anything but a factory steering it can be done..

the only difficult thing is then the exhaust manifolds but those can always be customer fab'd

measurement wise, a BBC will fit between the firewall and radiator support

20. jkane

jkane

I am going to do this in a 52 Tin Woody. Currently it is a stock frame but I am going to go with a MII, unless I find something better. Does anybody know why Chassis Engineering only offers their kit with a manual rack? I want to give them a call and also talk to Fatman. Walton Fabrication has BB engine mounts, trans mount and a power brake pedal and brake assembly. Keep those pictures and suggestions coming you Hamber's!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I had a Fatman in my 53 wagon. I used PS but not sure I would do that again unless the rack was set up to work better with a chevy PS unit. the steering was very quick (unsafe) until I installed a inline restrictor but then it was still quick. (did not feel comfortable to have new people drive it). that was 7 or 8 yrs ago now so maybe they have better racks. Fatman is my choice for MII as they offer a ultra slam crossmember which gets it down another 2inches I believe lover everyone else..

I just install the Walton motor and trans mounts in my 51 (just updated the post this morning). I went with them because as I noted before, I am thinking of installing a BBC once I do the MII conversion next winter.

22. jkane

jkane

All good points on the MII w/ PS. I want to talk to Chassis Engineering to find out why they do not offer the PS rack. Maybe it is not necessary? I am thinking that heavy BB is going to need PS. With the Walton motor mounts does it move the motor forward, thus you have to move the radiator forward? Do you have to notch the firewall?
    Jeff

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

the same mounts are used for SBC and BBC for walton. actually the measurement from the motor mount to the rear of the motor is the same for a BBC and SBC, its the distance from the motor mount to the front of the motor that is different.

I have a Fatman MII under my woodie project (it has a BBC in it) and I planned to run power rack because of the weight. I am not sure the walton motor mounts will work with a MII kit now that I see how the mounts attached.

24. jkane

jkane

Thanks for the measurement info. I did not know that. So all I need to do is trim the seams on the firewall and there will be room for the HEI? Did you buy the Fatman front stub set up or the individual components? I was wondering with the front stub if it came with all of the mounting holes for the radiator mounting holes and the bumper bracket holes, etc? I think thye make a very good product and I was at their shop about 2 years ago.

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

for the 49-54 it is not a stub (maybe they have started to make them??) , I am only aware of the kits for them being a MII crossmember and tophats. as for the firewall you will need to trim the virtical seams. Not sure if HEI will fit (but I would never run one due to how big they are, I would go with a Pertronix set up).

take a look at the other thread for 49-54 chevys, there is a picture on the last page of a BBC in a 53 and the tubes run inside and outside the frame rails.

26. jkane

jkane

The latest update: I have ordered the Stage III w/ps kit from Fatman, they said shipping would be in 3 weeks. They do not make a stub for the 52, which is OK. I ordered the Walton power brake assembly and the trans mount. What a great guy Todd Walton is to talk to. He also told me about www.ride411.com which is a resource website for car guys. Ordered the Chassis Engineering rear spring kit, so I am moving forward with the BB project. If anybody knows where I can get the replacement upholstrey for the Tin Woody I would appreciate. I would like to keep it looking original on the inside.