Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID these wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RyanPartridge, Feb 28, 2012.

1. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Hey fellas, can you help me ID these wheels? They came on a 1968 boat trailer.

Attached Files:

2. 15"-16" what bolt pattern would help?

3. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

14" wheels. I don't know the bolt pattern, I sold the wheels with the trailer...

4. cakes

cakes

then why the hell does it matter?

5. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

I'm looking to replace the wheels I currently have on my boat trailer with the same style it originally had.

6. he wants a set for his hooptie.

Thnse are crhome wheels, from the chorme wheel family. The one on the left of ferd and the one on the right is nerd. They are twins born 3 months apart. But I don't recall which one was born first.

7. Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Measure the bolt pattern on your trailer and order some new chrome OEM style wheels that fit...I guess.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

They're 1968 boat trailer wheels of course.

9. Wheelkid built me some, commonly called "chrome reverse" even if they aren't actually reversed.

10. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Years ago I swapped out the trailer and wheels for a better trailer for my old boat project. The project is done but I don't like the wheels I have on there now so I'm looking for wheels like the originals.

The size I need is 14x7, 5 on 4 1/2, 4" backspace.

I thought the wheels I'm looking for(pics posted) were smoothies, but all the smoothies I'm finding for sale come with multi bolt patterns...

11. Rally America, Bear Metal Customs are both Alliance members and sell these. Wheel Vintiques, etc. also have them, very common. NOT the smoothies with the multilug. Search "chrome OEM wheel".

12. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Thanks Richard, but the OE steel wheels from the sellers you listed all seem to have thin cutouts in the wheel. They're different.

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Those are either old school chrome reversed wheels, where they actually took a stock wheel, took the center out and put it in backwards..."reversed" then they chromed them..or old chrome baby moon or smoothie wheels being run without the hubcap...either way you should have kept them..

14. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Thanks man! Yeah, I wish I kept them...

So no one sells these anymore?

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

If you can find wheels that are intended to use baby moon hubcaps...they used to call them "smoothies"...you can run them without the cap and they will look like your old ones...

16. Larry T

Larry T

Kinda makes me shudder to think what lake water would do, coming in the extra lug holes and standing inside the hubcap.
    Larry T

17. I think you got sopmething there .... probably freshwater rims ... the saltwater ones usally came with a rough texture!

18. Try "Stockton Wheels" ... they usta sell them but the whole scene changed with change of ownership ... maybe they still do.

19. Ryan,
    Those thin cutouts are called vents and are more desirable to some of us than smoothies.

Your wheels are what is commly called a smoothy wheel. You can get smoothies from any of the above mentioned venders as well as the late style vented wheel.

20. squirrel

squirrel

When my twin sons were little, Kevin was noticeably bigger than Gary. When people commented, I'd say that Kevin was three months older.

They usually figured it out after a while.

The wheels...just generic chrome reverse wheels you could buy anywhere in the 70s

21. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Thanks for the help. The trouble I'm finding is, no one makes a smoothie like these anymore, with a 5 hole lug. Every modern smoothie seems to be a 10 hole multi lug pattern. No big deal if I run baby moons, but if I don't, I got those extra holes uglyin' up my setup...

22. squirrel

squirrel

They don't make stuff like they used to.

You might be able to get a set made, try wheelkid here on the HAMB

23. Ha, my little brother was actually my foster brother, we were 3 months to the day apart. When someone would come around that didn't know us they couldn't grasp how we could be brothers and be 3 months apart. You would have thought that they could figure out that we were not biological brothers, he looked about as much like me as Willy Nelson. :D

I have twin nephews, one is a chunk the ohter is a stick. The one that is a chunk looks just like his dad the the stick looks just like his mom. In school one was always saying that the other was adopted. My sis in law still has a note from their second grade teacher saying how nice it was that they adopted a child with the same b-day as ther other child.

OK way off topic.

You can get those wheels not in uni-lugs but you will have to pay for them. For whatever reason multi lug pattern wheels cost less.

You may look at the local trailer sales and service place.

24. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

I appreciate the help from everyone.

But there seems to be two different opinions regarding these wheels being either chrome reverse or smoothies. Can anyone confirm?

They appear to take baby moon caps that snap "inside".

25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

F.G.Ferre auto parts in Salt Lake City sold them in the mid '60s. They were made by Rocket Wheel, and were made from '49-'53 Chev centers cut down to weld into new 14'' rims anywhere from 5'' to 10'' wide. One drawback was that the only hubcap that fit was a '49-'53 Chev or Cal Custom baldy, but back then few people ran caps on chrome wheels. None of the currently available wheels are the same.

26. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Thank you!

27. Smoothies could still be reversed. The smoothy just describes the center, they would be a pre mid-50s type of a wheel as opposed to the later style of wheel.

28. squirrel

squirrel

They are chrome reverse smoothies. Both, not either/or

29. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Gotcha! Thanks again!