Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why can't I find a 1950's childs car seat ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wayne mcMichael, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Ain't that the truth!

One of my cousins was standing on the front seat facing his siblings in the back seat. They were goofing around and he ended up falling backwards, hitting the column shifter and knocking it into reverse at 65mph. Nobody got hurt and even the hydramatic lived through it.

2. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Then quit being so damn fussy and make one. A trip to Home Depot and Goodwill should get the raw materials; you may have plenty of grandchildren but only one great granddad and the clock's tickin'...

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I guess you never heard of photoshop either. Check it out, some pretty good stuff.

4. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Good story and true about the sissy stuff...
    Similar thing happened to me when i was about 6.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This thread brings back a lot of memories. I rode around in one just like this, a little metal bucket for my butt and a strap as a lap belt.

The steering wheel was broken so my dad made a replacement steering wheel out of wood for it and even painted the Ford V8 emblem in the middle.

Wish it was still around. :)

Attached Files:

6. Dear Scarebird Thank you for the advice! Will I take your advice.....no !!
    I am not looking for the Volkswagen model of car seat and that is why I am not buying the ones on ebay and elsewhere. I am looking for the Cadillac model and I will find it but it may well take time ! As Desoto says if the thread is kept alive long enough I will find it. You can see by the reaction to the thread that more than 6000 hambers have read it and that was my goal. Get to the people that know or may know and that is what I have accomplished !

7. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

My point is you may not have that time as 91 is the far end of the human longevity bell curve.

8. Yes and you are right, I agree. What we have done is we have taken pictures with what we have to work with so we know for sure we have the 5 generations. If we can get the genuine seat it will make it that much better. Thanks for the clarification.

9. spitzbohunkel

spitzbohunkel

Wayne. do you have a mailing address in the US? I will loan you mine till you can find one, dave pm your address

10. Dave That is very kind of you. Although I do have a Michigan address I am very reluctant to loan something from that distance. There are too many unpredictables such as lost or stolen or damaged mail. Again I thank you as that is very generous. If you change your mind to sell please let me know.
    Best Regards, Wayne

11. Buy it from him, and then sell it back.....;) This is by far the best offer you've had yet.

12. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I want one of those too!!! They are just hilarious!!

13. hemiboy

hemiboy

Hmmmm. 125 on the speedo, me hanging over the back of the front seat, toes barely touching....those were the days! yikes! (it was a '50 Olds coupe with the "export" kit plus a little more....dad was an Olds mechanic...it was red...what memories)

14. Bob I looked at the one on Craigslist. It is a car seat but not one that I want. I think it is made out of an old lawn chair. Wayne

15. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Awwww thats to fucking funny. Cuz Im only 25 and I remember doing all these things. I remember being 3 or 4 and sitting on my dads lap letting me steer the car. I was thinking about doing the same for my daughter. Then I realised. If I were caught. I could end up in prison.

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

What do you care how much space its taking up???? Is it costing you money some how???? Or slowing down your computer or somthing???? Grow up. Stop tryen to get a job running this place. No one cares. crawl back in your hole!!!!!!!!!!

17. Thank you everyone ! Sevewral people were going to send pictures of car sears they had for sale but none were received. So if they are still for sale please email pictures. Thanks Wayne

18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to sleep on the rear package tray, but you may remember a "Quantum Leap" episode where they bought a wicker laundry basket to use as a child car seat!

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Can I get a "HELL YES!" for lying on the package tray behind the rear seat back? My folks had a '60 Catalina bubble top, and that huge rear shelf was MY favorite place to ride!

20. Deuces

Deuces

Do you count beans for a living???.... :rolleyes:

21. there are 2for sale on ebay, right now.. look under, hate to say the word, but rat rod

22. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Who would have thought, two years of searching before posting this thread, then nine pages later...:rolleyes:

23. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Tried to ID mine on the AACA forums... but no luck.
    Label:
    AUTO GO BYE
    Baby auto seat
    Mfg. by the american national co.
    Toledo ohio Made in U.S.A.

Measures (seat) 12.5"h x 13w x 11.5D (hooks) 17h x 5d
    [​IMG]

24. from 1966 J.C. Whitney catalog...

Attached Files:

25. I care because it's a detriment to the information. If you take the time to actually read the posts then you see that the same exact thing gets said many many many times by people who just want to pile on. If it's just a neat little story, or opinion, hey that's cool. But, when it's the same old "It's not very safe" or "Get a new car seat" over, and over again it is obvious that the person didn't even take the time to read the OPs message, and means that their opinion is uninformed, and USELESS. Don't take it so personal man, go actually read all the posts, and then tell me I'm wrong. There's a solid 3 pages of parroting from people that obviously didn't take the time to read what was written before them.

26. fatheroz

fatheroz

Sorry I just found this thread today, but I saw one of these yesterday in Denton Texas at the Downtown Mini Mall II, 118 N. Locust St. , phone (940) 387-0024.. You can ask, but I doubt if they ship because it's run by a bunch of little old ladies. (Not that there's anything wrong with little old ladies). I can't remember what they were asking... maybe $100?. I don't recall seeing the seatbelts though, and I tried honking the horn but it didn't squeak, but it's just like the one in the picture.
    Your best bet is probably to negotiate and pay for it over the phone (if they do that) and then find a HAMBer that lives near there to pick it up for you and mail it. This place is huge and full of stuff, so the best I can recall it was on the main floor, towards the front of the store, up at eye level on top of a cabinet on the north side of whichever aisle it's on.

There's also a Downtown Mini Mall at 108 N. Locust. That's not it. Good luck.

27. fatheroz

fatheroz

Oops, I have to try the pic again. If it doesn't show up here, it's posted by someone else on page one of the thread. It's the Kiddie Drivette box.

Attached Files:

28. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I thought this thread was a joke, but apparently they really did exist. Weird. Reminds me of one day when we got pulled over in my '57 with our 8 yr old in the front seat.

Cop: "Why isn't she in a seat belt?"

Wife: "because we don't have any"

Cop: "oh"

Cop: "do you have your historic vehicle log?"

Me: "No, they don't do that anymore"

Cop: "ummmm...pretty sure they still do"

Me: "Nope, look it up"

Cop: "you sure?"

Me: "yep"

Cop: "you folks have a nice day."

And that was the day that the kids learned that old cars good for more than just being cool.

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

I'm going to take a nap now...
    Wake me if anything really exciting happens,... Thanks,

30. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

You're gonna be ass leap for a while.