Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 DeSoto Touring Airsteam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Henry J, Feb 26, 2012.

1. 51 Henry J

51 Henry J

This is a barn find from 2010 in the Middle of Nowhere Montana. It was in a farm equipment shed since 1968. I was looking for a platform for a street rod, and I bought the car while it was still in the shed with all kinds of crap stacked on it and around it.
    After I got it out and loaded on the trailer, I saw just how complete the car was. Nothing was missing with the exception of the left rear taillight lens.

When the rest of our car clubbers got a look, it was made quite known that I would incur the wrath of the OLD IRON GODS, and most all of the Purists in the world if I so much as even thought, let alone did anything but leave it original. I succumbed to my better judgement and sold it for 2500 to a Mopar guru who promised upon a fate worse than death if he did anything to the car that was outside of a restoration.

These two pictures show exactly the way this car will look now and forever. The new owner will take it to car shows (driving the DeSoto not trailering) in Montana this year. It will be shown as a "Montana Barn Find".

After soaking the cylinders for over a month, clearing out the mice nests, and having all the glass replaced, this car runs, drives, and even carries herself at highway speeds thanks to the all time "magic" transmission. (full time overdrive).

The new owner found the missing taillight lens at a car parts swap meet about 15 blocks from his house. (OLD IRON GODS love this guy)

Yes Dorothy, there are still barn finds out there. Might not be in Kansas anymore, but definitely in Montana.

Oh, the only part that need to be replaced was the brake light switch. This car is a dream to drive, and has only 38,000 miles on it and does not use oil, or smoke. Starts right up and is so quiet. Unbelievable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

that's not the one in another thread getting chopped right now is it? ----------------Ha!
    some things don't need to be changed to be cool.

3. 51 Henry J

51 Henry J

No, the other car is our 51 Henry J, and it did not get a chop, it got a transplant. The roof on the Henry was so damaged it had to go. I had over 80 hours in just getting the sides above the drip rails back before cutting the entire center out and replacing it with a '41 Ford 4-door roof. Don't fret, the 41 Ford was a salvage car from a "bump n run" in the 70's.

4. Peterson32

Peterson32

wow that is amazing

5. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I have seen this car in person at a couple of shows and it is a true survivor and looks like a great ride.

6. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

Are you sure it's an Airflow? Looks more like the Airstream to me.

7. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, this Airstream body was produced after the streamlined Airflow lost sales due to its unusual design. You did the right thing.

8. 51 Henry J

51 Henry J

From what I read about this car, it is still the Airflow body and chassis, but the doghouse was changed on the line to the bulbous fenders and tall grill. Another unique feature and this one has it, is that the radio antenna is sealed into the roof insert panel. If you could see the top there is a panel sealed into a large roof opening about 3 feet wide, and 4 foot long, and in the seam the antenna wire is looped and sealed.

9. 51 Henry J

51 Henry J

You are correct, my faux pas. This model is an Airstream. The chassis and cabin are Airflow, and the dog house is an add on after the Airflow sales went into the toilet.

Again, I misidentified the model. Sorry, but good catch on the old iron!

Bill
    51 Henry J

10. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

That's way cool.

11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The Airflow is a unit body. The Airstream is a conventional body on frame. They are not the same body and only share running gear.

12. ezdusit

ezdusit

Your car is identical to my first car. My dad and I split the $100 price when I was about to get my license in 1956. It had just over 15,000 miles on the odometer and was pristine. I enjoyed it for many years and drove the crap out of it. It was bullet proof mechanically. You can see a write-up I did on my blog back in 2008. I sure am glad this one's getting preserved.

13. Wat_Tyler

Wat_Tyler
    from right here

I love it and am envious.

It also makes me wonder whatever became of my grandfather's 1931 SA roadster. That was a borderline car and would have made a great rod.