Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 International Pickup build "Little Hustler"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miss-B-Haven Speed Shoppe, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Here is the current progress on the pickup: I lowered the pickup back down to where it was originally, made a lower profile oil pan, and am now running 3 1/4 inches clearance from the ground, and 7/8 from the hood hinge. The front carb has the choke horn milled off, and I will make a super low profile open back air cleaner to cover both carbs. Thank goodness for plastic mock up blocks, with out one I would have probably thrown in the towel on trying to conceal it all. Here are a couple pics of the mock up block and all the goodies in, and the base structure of the motor mounts with the tranny mounted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
    exterminator and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Love the 30's Internationals and yours is really coming together. Good to hear you dumped the "shotgun" scoop.

3. ty johnson

ty johnson

Awesome, I really dig these old IHC's.

4. I have been really busy on everyone elses stuff, so not much time for my own, but here is a pic of the motor complete and starting to put all the accessories on. I found out that due to the motor sitting so low in the frame rails, I will have to run an electric fan, which I am not too thrilled about, but I have designed a really kool idea for the air cleaner/ scoop. I am currently working on it, but basically it will be a reversed ram air system utilizing the cowl vent. I am also picking away at the front suspension now that I know how much the spring is going to settle with the weight, since my clearances are so tight. B
    [​IMG]

5. silversink

silversink

On my Int. I cut the bottom of the Radiator suport out and gained 2 inches which will make the difference between the stock fan or an aux. fan. I just cut the sheet metal under the radiator. Next time your out this way stop by.

6. I will stop by for sure, but the center of the crank shaft bolt is about 2" below the top of the front crossmember, so thats not gonna work for me. I have already cut up a fan trying to make it work, but the radiator sits right ontop of the frame rail, and the motor sitts down 6" inside of them.

7. Have been super busy on everthing but what I wanted to work on, but the bread and butter has to come first. I am really glad I have a dry erase board in the shop to quick draw my ideas as they come to me! Here is what I came up with for the taillights on the pickup. They are 62 Impala lenses and trim rings with the front part of a 58 Apache fleetside box recurved and a base made and molded to hold the lenses frenched in 1.5 inches.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. jreeder41

jreeder41

Those taillights are sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 35's are nicer to work with since they don't have a wood framed cab!!

9. Actually the cab is wood framed. They didn't go to steel framing until 36'.

10. The last couple of days have been fun time in the shop with my youngest son. I finished making the taillights, we made the front brackets that weld onto the axle for the transverse spring and radius rods to mount, and set up the final height with all the components on the frontend. Pics will be coming soon....

11. spooky30a

spooky30a

i dig the tales

12. Update.... pretty excited I finally found a really nice grille shell emblem, and both side panel emblems on ebay that I was able to purchase tonight! Now if I could just find a damn tailgate off an early scout close to where I live, I would be in business. I am wanting to cut out the INTERNATIONAL lettering to graft it into my new one.

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Great truck... I'm looking forward to the finished product.

14. JJTF

JJTF

Cool tailights!
    subscribed

15. silversink

silversink

Have you gone to Old IHC's website and ask there? They are all about Scouts there.

16. I read it just for the articles too.

17. Ok, so some of you have been wondering where the hell the pictures are? Today I got the doors rolled up on the shop, and got some decent ones for ya. Keep in mind that I prefer to get everything all mocked up and securely tacked together for the look/fit and then it will be taken apart and final welded. This allows me to also change my mind if I dream up something I like better without too much work. Some of the parts you see (radius rods, nuts and bolts,ect.) are for build purposes only, and not the actual ones being used. Radius rods I have yet to make them due to an issue with the side panel latches being so close to my original design. You will see in the motor pics just how tight the tolerances are on this pickup to get the look I want, and proportions right in my opinion. The hood hinge will be cut down a little to allow for an air cleaner to sit ontop of and partially over the carbs. The steering wheel I found out of a 40's runabout wooden boat that I am going to refinish in the custom orange metal flake color I came up with one day while dabbling in the paint room with some colors for the truck. This will also be the color or the body lines with an ivory pinstripe top and bottom. The final color for the truck is a heavy metal flake (almost like boat flake) silver. I am also thinking of making a cowl steering setup out of a 58 chev pickup box, but no final decision made yet. Thanks for looking. B

18. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice work, I never did see how you mounted the front axle. Personal opinion the bed looks a little long.

19. Ok after about an hour of F%^$ing with my computer, it is about to get the cutting wheel also!
    The box is 26" shorter than the original one that was on it. I tried one even shorter, but I thought it looked stupid with a real short box. The frontend looked unproportioned.

20. computer won't let me load pics? Not as simple as just cut it and re-weld

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But but But I like the long bed, oh well it could have been a tad shorter than it originally was.

That truck just grows on me every new photo of it I see.

22. jazz1

jazz1

I really like those taillights,,something original! Nice build overall

23. Cool truck!
    I like the build

24. Finally pics!!!! The tolerance on the motor is 3/16 from the hood hinge to the front carb, and 3 1/2 from the floor to the oil pan. Frame is Z'd 10" in the back, and taper cut in the front. Box is 60" long

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  25. These pics suck because I had to really downsize them to be accepted. The picture of the cowl is without the body line reworked to come together as one, and the pic in grey, is with it coming together. I know, I know, it's and International, and that is how they are supposed to be, but it just looks unfinished to me to not have them come back together as one down the hood. The other is of the steering wheel hub I am going to use for my column, and my youngest boy thought it would be funny to put this sign in the windshield.

Attached Files:

26. Any of you that are building, or have built a 34-36 IHC used the stock guages and converted them to 12 volt?

27. 60 ford

60 ford

Awesome truck, I sold two IH trucks a couple years ago. I guess I should have kept them.

28. maybelene

maybelene

I would be intersted in that too. My '34 gauges are pretty decent.

29. silversink

silversink

I thimk the guages are the same as the ones I have in the 48. you will have to drop the voltage by useing the drop off of an old Ford guage set(1956 to 1978). Ford uses the same guage co. Go to old IHC.org and get ahold of wild bill, he has done two of his Int. to 12V. I know you will have to adapt your sending units to make these work. I went to aftermarket guages because it was easier. Look up King Seely Guages on google as these guages were used on a lot of different guages.

30. Here is the most recent update: steering wheel is almost done, just have to add a little pinstriping, and clear it again.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.