Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flathead okie

flathead okie

exactly:d

2. Saw so many Fords with these shackels, I thought that was stock from the factory!!-MIKE:eek::D

3. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I gotta admit that i really like this. as far as it is from stuff i usually dig

I say this all the time. funny pic.

4. Actually they drafted a very low percentage of our graduating class. My draft lottery number was 364, I enlisted (long story).

It is funny the difference a few decades make, we came home the dregs of the earth, didn't matter what we had done. The modern soldier can be the cook and come home a hero. This is not a complaint I think all those who protect my liberties no matter what it is that they do should have the utmost repect. It is just an observation.

The '70s were a complex time. I like to dwell on the good times and everything was hunky dory, but there were things that went on that were not so hunky dory. I did get seom free fuel from a tanker out in the middle of nowhere in my bike. I don't know how true it was but the fella told me he was just supposed to dispose of the fuel. Being the bobo that I am I still think he was just being a nice guy and trying to help a road bum out.

Interesting that no one mentioned the first gas crisis. Even in the midst of it there was still a lot of us building 'em balls to the walls and cruising like there was no tomorrow.

5. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hey pork, I agree with you, I tended to remember only the good times. My Dad was a WWII Army Air Corps vet and always told me --"Son, sometimes there are wars you need to fight, and somtimes there are wars you don't, and Viet Nam is one we don't." So I didn't, but I am damned proud of, and have the deepest respect for those of you that did. Thank you.

6. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Funny I can remember countless times being the kid mid-air on the Big-Wheel. Lol!!

7. I appreciate that.

I really was just making an observation of the difference a few decades can make. That and just adding the '70s did have its down side for those who were not around.

Its funny every time I see one of those threads about the dreaded energy crisis I remember the first energy crisis that I was privey to. I think it would do a lot of the fellas that are worried about cruisin' and gas prices to take a look at this thread and remember that we had a big energy crisis in the '70s. It didn't stop any of us it was game on baby.

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Yeh, I agree. My wife was pretty cool about my hot rods, racing and cruisin'. She used to help me sand on the old Willys before we were married. Still have her -- my wife, not my Willys. She would just shuffle the budget around so that I still had gas money for my addiction.

9. My lady has always been good at that as well. Our first real date was on a Norton Atlas that I owned, but our first date had to do with her showing up at my place with a pair of coveralls to slip on and helping me get my door slammer ready for a weekend on the track. Her and her dad showed up in my pit on Sunday morning with a habachi pot some hot dogs and a thermous of coffee. That was spring of '70 I didn't win that weekend but it was a good weekend for damned sure.

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i think this thread rocks . the '60s & '70s were the best of times . great pix .
    "ASS/GRASS/GAS - NO ONE RIDES FOR FREE" ............... STEVE

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Crazy, man. Just crazy."

[​IMG]

13. .... so does the term "paraquat" mean anything to anyone? ... that was about 1975 .... damn gubberment!

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. That shit they sprayed on perfectly good weed. Ruined my whole crop.

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ha Ha - this thread just keeps getting better !!

16. 1971-2 high school car. Bought for $600 with original 389 3X2 that was smoking bad.
    Installed a junkyard 421, added the tri-power and headers. It was a tire fryer.

Traded it in on a low mile 68 Camaro SS/RS 375/396 in 1973. The GTO + $1000.
    Wrecked the Camaro 2 days later after too much Annie Green Springs.
    Cured me of drinking and driving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  17. 55driver

55driver

My high school ride in '76

Attached Files:

• n1.jpg
      n1.jpg
      File size:
      259.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yes, at the urging of an L.A. FM radio station campaign, I sent a Telegram to the Whitehouse expressing my objection to the spraying of Paraquat on the Marijuana crops.
    Pretty sure that put me on an F.B.I. watch list...:eek:

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

you could have really made out big if you had bought shares in the extended shackle factory.

20. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

You can still get Extended Shackles from J.C.Whitney,

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-shackle-set/p2031542.jcwx?filterid=u0

Adjustable Shackle Set
    Shackles are approximately 10" long with 4 1/2" bolts. 7/16" or 1/2" dia. holes in shackles.
    This shackle set helps eliminate rear tire clearance problems.
    Easy to install, heavy duty extenders are adjustable to three heights.
    Ideal for street use.

[​IMG]

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

10''? please. i said extended! i need to completely eliminate rear tire clearance problems. also so my white painted rear end will show.

22. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

10 inches, all I got...

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

And look crappy.

24. flathead okie

flathead okie

2 of my classmates were real good friends. One had a 66 Chevelle 396 4spd ss. He and his Dad put some good fast in it. Well the 2nd guy told him he could beat him with a smallblock. So the 2nd guy and his dad built a 57 2 dr ht with a 283 4spd., also it stood high on all corners.
    I don't know the make up of either of the running gear, but when they lined up and raced, the Chevelle beat him only by a fender length. The 57 ran awsome and looked wicked as hell............Man I miss those days

25. you can buy extended shakles at advanced auto parts stores for under 20 dollars

26. gdub

gdub

Being a good west Texas boy, I had a baby blue western cut leisure suit for church and other dress up occasions. Bought this 52 F-1 the week I turned 16 for $175. As seen here I had spent my senior year getting it repainted and put in 352 with an automatic and a 9".

Attached Files:

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

70's were good years for us young rodders. I had just finished building my first gasser, a '55 Chevy business coupe with a well built 283. Unffortunately some A'hole liked it more than me and it was stolen not long after. My Dad felt sorry for me and started looking for a replacement car I could buy to fill the gap. He came by my house one day to tell me he had found a nice car I should look at. We took a trip to a local Chevy dealer and on the used car lot was this '71 Camaro my Dad had spotted. I'd had a couple '57 Chevys and the '55 prior, so a Camaro was definitely not on my short list.
    We walked up to the car and my Dad popped the hood. To my surprise it had a 427 big block in it. Salesman came out and showed us the paperwork from a dealer in Southern Ca. for the original owner who had the dealerhip swap in the 427 when he bought the car new. We ended up buying the car in 1973 for $2335, and it's still sitting in my garage today. Raced it every weekend for 16 yrs., and then restored it from 2000-2011.
    Lot of hotrods have come and gone since '73, but somehow the '71 has hung around. Don't drive it more than once or twice a year anymore as my heart just isn't into the muscle cars, and the old Austin gasser gets all my driving time the last year or so.

28. Spork!

Spork!

Paraquat Kelly?

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Playing with my trucks on the dirt pile in the back yard.

30. I remember those days well myself. I was in high school in the 60's and we had all our cars jacked up in the front then. Nice flash back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.