Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a torsion bar MoPar.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jack Thomas, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Thinking of lowering my 59 Fury. Rear lowering blocks, no problem. As for the front, adjusting the torsion bars seems simple enough. What effect does that have on ride, handling, tire wear ? Probably drop it about 2".

2. terry48435

terry48435

The tires will tilt out if you lower it. I'd get a front end alignment after you lower it. Did that with my RoadRunner.

3. Bob of Pauls clutch

Bob of Pauls clutch
    from whitman

First let me agree with the alignment. Let me add that Handling will be an issue as you may find the dar will understeer and tend to roll and be slugish on response.

4. mtpockits

mtpockits

on my 61 took out the bars and put them back a notch or 2 back, tighten them back up to full tension , it was lowered and normal ride.

5. F&J

F&J

You might run out of caster/camber adjustment. Then, the alignment guy will need to bring it up a bit to get back in the spec range.

A Mopar site covered all this, and some guys were making the upper control arms longer to compensate.

6. terry48435

terry48435

I think they make ball joint spacers you can use. A friend had them on his '65 chevy.

7. it will ride like a truck bottom out too easily get some drop spindles and do it right

8. BrandonS

BrandonS

My 65 is lowered with the torsion bars and the bump stops are cut about 1/2 in the front. The back has 3" lowering blocks. I put bilsteins on to try and help a little, but it does bottom out a lot on larger bumps in the front. The back I don't think bottoms out very often. Another thing that concerns me is the angles start to get funky with the ball joints. I'm considering raising the front towers the top a-arm sits on to alleviate that a little.