Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Hemi Is Pinching Plugs Closed...Help Needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MR. FORD, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You'd need a LOT of carbon built up on the piston dome to close a plug's electrode.
    There's something in there floating around.

If it hasn't been noticeably hammering while you're driving, you can be optimistic that the piston isn't trashed.

This is exactly why I like spending the extra money on forged pistons for a vintage engine.

-Brad

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is it possible that the valve timing is now off (chain skipped) and that a valve head has hit the top of the piston and is bent enough to hit the spark plug? Just a wild thought.

3. yardgoat

yardgoat

Thats good to know,cause when i pulled a plug from my 241 it had a gasket (metal ring) on top of the plug tube.Thanks for the info.Still it might help him ,haha.......................YG:)

4. cracker head

cracker head

Blah, blah, blah. Pull the head, something is fucked.....

5. That's the bottom line, if I was close to the OP, I'd go over and do it for him! We want to KNOW!

Bob

6. 31Slim

31Slim

I'm interested to know the issue here, I'll follow this.
    73RR & TRwaters would be two people that would give great advice on this issue.
    Slim

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I might be able to borrow a bore-scope from work if you didnt want to pull the head.. And I can definetly let you use my timing light.

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So? Head off yet?

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is it? If yes, then tell us what was found, if no, then take the head off and inspect.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If a valve was bent that much, there would likely be some interesting valvetrain clatter to go along with it.

11. Andy

Andy

It is very easy to see in the cylinder with the $2 Harbour Freight light I mentioned earlier. I would have a look inside for no more money than that. You shoud be able to see any damage on the piston top.

12. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Did a compression test yesterday. Zero compression out of the culprit hole. Im heading out to the shop right now to pull the head. I did a flashlight inspection, and the top of the piston that I can see looks the same as all the others. No obvious gouge marks. I can definitely hear some strange valve clattery noise when I crank it. All the other holes had good, consistent compression. Anyway, ill post some pics and news later tonight. Thanks for all the response guys. And it is cylinder number 3 on the driver side, not 4 as I posted before.

13. 8-Track

8-Track

If you pressurize the bad cylinder you will hear the air coming out of the crank case it is bad rings, if the air comes out of the carb it is bad intake valve and from the exhaust means bad exhaust valve.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Been there broke that^^^^^^^^^ didn't hurt it too bad, spit it out and never any more problems.

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is it the actual #3 cylinder (which is the second cylinder from the front on driver's side) or really #5 (which is 3rd from front on d.s.)?

16. deto

deto

17. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

So the head is off, and it was very obvious what was wrong. Clueless as to how this got inside my motor. Looks like it used to be a nut. Cylinder wall is still fine, piston got munched but is not cracked or broken. Bent a valve. Taking the head tomorrow to the machine shop.

Attached Files:

18. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

It is the actual #3 cylinder, yes.

19. Wow, some us us were subscribed to the piston coming apart but the valve makes more sense now that there is evidence of a nut bouncing around in it.

I bought an Olds years back and someone dropped a carb stud down the intake (bought it les the carb with the holes unplugged on the manifold... i was 18...) and it punched a hole through the piston top.

Bob

20. Ouch! That's a bummer. What does the cylinder wall look like?

21. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

We had a similar problem in our dragster in the 60's. It turned out to be the exhaust valve that it had spit out of the stright pipes just before the top eliminator run.

Ps, it diden't matter, we won anyways!

22. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Ouch. That is a bummer. Hope the repairs can be made quickly and inexpensively.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awww man! Bummer. :( Well, at least the machine shop can take care of the head and valve portion with a few bucks thrown at it.

What are your thoughts on the piston? Wondering if all those craters are going to cause you some undesired stress risers around the perimeter that might lead to a failure down the road.

Anything metallic squeak by to the pan?

24. this is a lesson for everyone - keep your nuts out of the motor!! :eek:

25. charlieb66

charlieb66

You haven't been fooling around with the neighbor's wife, have you? That nut hasn't been in the engine very long. Either you or someone drooped it in the carb or open manifold.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

In pic #1 it looks like the object is near the end of the head. Is that where it was when the head was removed? Seems weird it was there and not near the actual cylinder in question.

I would take the carb apart and make sure that it isn't coming aparton it's own.

27. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

And the winner is Rusty Otool he was the first one to call it right Good Job Rusty, It looks to me like I might pull the piston out of that hole to take a look see!
    Hope it all goes well.

28. LabRat

LabRat

Just sitting there for the pic , it has a shadow ...

For what it's worth , that nut may have been jammed somewhere and only recently worked its way free .

Many nuts and places to hide ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  29. I wasn't going to say nothin'.... I'd still like to believe that it wasn't an act of vandalism. One reason I'm a bug about sealing up my open motors.

Bob

30. titus

titus

Damn, that sucks, any idea where it came from?

it could have been a hell of alot worse.

JEFF