Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting a '42-'47 Ford Truck to a '40-'41

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Feb 20, 2012.

1. I'm going to get this this weekend; want to swap out to '40-'41 fenders, grill, and hood. Any tips?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. henry29

henry29

3. Thanks, I think I can get it locally for scrap value.

4. Stu_Norman

Stu_Norman
    from Wisconsin

I am guessing a 1938 International Harvester, or close to that.

[​IMG]

5. Clark

Clark

Rear should be an open banjo....highly desirable!
    Clark

6. Looking at the frame, its a 42/47 ford 1/2 ton.

7. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'40 to '47 are the same for all practical purposes. Maybe there is a technical difference in '42 up, but if so, it is very, very small and matters not for a hot rod build. '40/'41 sheet metal fits all of them.

International ????? WTF ! :)

Ray

9. He has already scrapped the bed with original wood(bastard), and cut the frame in half. He may still have the fenders. If I get it, I'd swap out for '40-'41 fenders. Like I really need another fucking project!

10. I talked to my buddy, looks like i'm going to pick this thing up this weekend. I guess I need to be on the lookout for a '40 Ford front clip. Are car parts the same?

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

WRONG!
    This has been discussed many times on the HAMB
    The frame is too long in front to get 41/41 fenders on
    car fenders are NOT the same
    If only the HAMB search function worked you could find all the previous info!

I have a 42-47 that we will z the frame front and rear to 40 specs and swap in a 40 front crossmember. It should be interesting

12. Frame mods are no problem.

13. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Nice cb pick up a 35-40 car or 41 pick up frame- Drill some fender mounting holes... Damn if you wern't so far down in tx I would give you a hacked 40 pu frame ( has a weird back frame graft ) and I would let you use my spare cab for a drilling template. But if you ever get up to northwest ok ..........

14. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Oh Yeah you need pick up fenders and hood.
    For sure .... Still It's worth the bs

15. Id want to try to put a 38 standard car clip on it. But im a goof ball

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I never said car fenders are the same and I was referring to cabs, not frames. Didn't occur
    to me to consider the frame. My reference to '40/'41 fitting was in regard to truck fenders, as I thought front end sheet metal is what was under discussion here.

However, the '39/'40 car fenders are the same from from the lower front all the way up and over until they meet the cab sides and then the truck fender flanges are 'flatter' where they lay against the cowl. And they are a different contour where the running boards meet the fender. They can be used with modifications, especially to the running boards. The only
    incentive to do that is the greater availability of good car fenders vs pickups.

As for the search function...didn't need it at this point as I have already spent a lot of time working on this subject. I have a '35/'40 frame, a '46 cab, pass car front fenders, truck hood.......all in my shop and mocked up.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  17. Hey Ray, thanks that is the info I was looking for. Got any pictures of your project?

18. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

42-47 Ford cabs had the fuel filler on the right side behind the door. The 40-41 didn't have the filler tube as the fuel tank was on the frame.

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

what's the question here?

20. I would fill the hole and mount the tank on the frame.

21. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

A friend on mine put a '40 DeLuxe front group on a '40/'41 cab. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but wasn't all that tough either...basic sheet metal fabrications skills are all that's needed. But that's not what the OP was asking....

'40/'41 truck front groups are, basically a bolt on to the later cab.

I've seen some later cabs with the early fender bolt holes already drilled.

Ford loved using up old parts supplies.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  22. henry29

henry29

The original question was to ID the cab.

23. aldixie

aldixie

Hi Richard,
    Come over and visit on the weekend, have beer in the fridge. Mine is all mocked up on the chassis. You can take measurements.

Alex

24. Sounds like a plan Alex.

25. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

....... Where are you putting this one!?!?!?

26. Back yard with the rest I guess.

27. Got the truck home yesterday. Had to weld the frame back together. Took hours to get it on and off the trailer with come-alongs and chains. Still worth it. Scored a big Reed vice mounted on 6" pipe too.

28. I've modified the name of this thread, to cover all the changes needed, not just hood and fenders. I understand there will need to be frame mods. I believe the early('41-'42) had a transverse front and rear spring, is this true? If so, are there any benefits/drawbacks to putting in wishbone suspension? I want to get it low but still use it for light duty as a truck. I plan to put in a 9" rear and a modern engine(I'll keep the hood shut!). I have welding and fabrication tools and skills.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So far as I know, the '41 pickups used the same frame as '35/'40 pass & pickup and the same front sheetmetal as '40 pickups. The hood trim was more elaborate in '41.

I believe the '42 up frame/leaf springs are too long to get the running gear under the front fenders. You could use an MMII front end (or other IFS) on the '42/'47 frame and bob the front rails to minimize frame issues.

Ray

30. Any more info on front leaves? Also, I will probably run an automatic, small Chevy with A/C and definitely a mechanical fan. Any ideas? Crossmember problems?