Register now to get rid of these ads!

fender welting...do i gotta?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Feb 19, 2012.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

with any luck i will be bolting my '40 ford together in the next month or so. i have new welting for the fenders. but i dont like that look. what have some of you other guys had any luck using in place of the welting? thanks gene

2. BJR

BJR

There is black welting with a black bead, and I have seen it with a chrome bead also. Or just use black rubber with no bead between the fenders and body.

3. fordor41

fordor41

All the welting and fabric strips between fenders and inner fenders reduces a lot of squeeks. Maybe some thin fabric/vinyl or rubber would keep the noise down and be unnoticeable

4. TheBurnoutsCarClub

TheBurnoutsCarClub
    BANNED
    from US

Unless you're really determined to retain the original look, fender welting can be omitted. Gotta make the metal fit good though. I was like you; I hated the welting look so much that it was worth it to risk the squeaking. I never heard any.

zombiecat likes this.

5. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thanks for the replys. know i dont have the metal straight enough for a metal to metal fit. going to look around for some rubber. also a buddy of mine said he used roofing paper. but i am afraid of possible black oily junk on an orange car. let you know if i find something. gene

6. They used to make a cloth welting without the bead. I never was a big fan of the bead myself.

You can sue the welting that goes between the body and the frame of a car like an A or a duece. it comes in rolls, I have used it in the past, it works real well and is invisable when the car is bolted together.

7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about rubber at the joint, then finish with a paintable seam sealer to blend the intersection of the body and fender together? I've not tried it, but they make some great sealers now.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I tossed mine and just went metal to metal. No squeaks so far.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I am pretty sure you can by orange colored welting. I think Juliano,s sells it.

10. Weasel

Weasel

I am going with thin nylon washers between the fenders and the body....

11. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I think I know what you are talking about...My 51 welting for the front fenders was this big thick stuff. I used the thinner rear fender rubber welting on all my joints......smaller, looks neater. You could cut the round piece off if your fit is good enough and all you would see is a tiny bet of rubber in there

12. sawzall

sawzall

if you can hear the squeaking over the engine.. something is wrong.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. On My 35 Willys coupe which was painted a Magenta color they used Naguahyde Raspberry vinyl and they sewed a piece if cording inside the vinyl to make the bead. It matched the paint perfect. QUOTE=sawzall;7477564]if you can hear the squeaking over the engine.. something is wrong.[/QUOTE]

14. 416Ford

416Ford

Ford used friction tape between the upper and lower fender on 41 Fords. It was suggested since the car is not a restoration that I use the next best thing. HOCKEY TAPE, found it at the local sporting good store for $5.00. This will reduce the noise and chances of chipping.

15. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I've never run welting on my 37 coupe,and it's been on the road 30 years---I can't hear any squeeking, but I can't hear shit,anyway!

16. Ruddchevy

Ruddchevy

Have you thought of frame welt theres no bead and it has adhesive or with out adhesive just a thought good luck

17. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

think i found something, will know more tomorrow.

18. i use black electrical tape when i don't want to use welting.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Ford used black friction tape between any panels that bolted together. By the time most are dismantled it is dust or a fine woven pattern in the corrosion between the panels. Fender welting was used between body and fenders to even the panel gaps to the eye of the customer.
    Even with a good fit a tape of some kind should be used for squeak prevention and to protect paint from rubbing through and rust running down the fender.

20. Old School Fix..... Use Tar Paper ( for roofing ).

21. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Cut strips of clear PVC [ the type that is normally used as windows on Caravan Awnings ]

22. ken1939

ken1939

I have not had squeeking issues without welt on anything I have built. However based on Weasle's suggestion here is another one, messy but can work to.

Dip washers into that stuff you use to coat tool handles. Gives them a rubber coating. We used those on a friends 37 Club coupe, on the frame and fenders and worked pretty well.

I believe they used welt to also hide the bad fitting panels of the day..

23. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

You might be able to use speaker cover material. It's thin and should compress nicely to be invisible. Usually pretty in-expensive too. It's kinda like a cotton gauz, but black/gray in color. Most fabric stores carry it. Worth looking into anyway.

24. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Small rubber washers work great. Can buy at the hardware store, I made my own out of an inner tube.

dolsen37

25. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

C W Moss sells the stainless welting. Looks good and lasts forever. Comes in 8' lengths

26. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

had more info. lost it in my pile of papers. i think? will add it.

27. joel torres

joel torres

why cant you use the welting backwards installit with bead inwards and crush i8t with the fenders no squeaking and no bead

28. Weasel

Weasel

^^^Too thick and gives you too big of a gap....

29. Roadsire

Roadsire

I use edpm rubber roofing cheap and good for tons of stuff like this

30. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012