Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 6cyl

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54hotrodder, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

alright i need help my car starts up fine but then after i drive it for a while and shut it off it does not start back up at all my battery is a little so im going to get a new one has anybody had this problem at all is the coil getting to hot or what please help

2. coil is a good thought, is the spark weaker when it is hot?

3. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

i maybe but how would that be any clues

4. Snarl

Snarl

6 or 12 volts? points or HEI?

when you say it does not start back up, does it crank and crank without firing? or does it sometimes sputter then die? need a little better info really....

too much timing can cause a hot start problem sometimes.

poor wiring connections, especially the battery terminals, if the battery is weak or really cold outside...

the carb could be perculating and dumping fuel into the carb, causing it to flood out.

ignition coil could be getting hot and cutting out.

5. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

ok in cranks but dosent fire

6. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

6 volt with points and i will be replacing the battery

7. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Change your coil, that should fix it straight away, or mount your coil on the firewall instead of on the engine block.

8. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

its a fairly new coil and i wil have to put it on the firewall i hear thats a commin problem

9. 51stylelinedeluxe

51stylelinedeluxe

if it starts and runs but doesn't restart when hot,you may wanna look at your battery cables. 6 volt systems require a large cable,like #1 you DON'T want #4 like a 12 volt system takes. they sell new cables already made up @ tractor supply. there heavy duty and reasonably priced. my car did the same thing and it fixed my problem. o yea when that happened to me i did a search on the hamb and found that info;) this is a great site! good luck and keep us updated.