Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craigslist Find; 1959 Pontiac Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Panther, Feb 14, 2012.

1. von zipper

von zipper

2. robertsregal

robertsregal

looks like a solid project car!

3. billys54

billys54

4. Great score! I also likes the long roofs, got a few myself. Looking forward to regular progress reports.

5. There was a thread on here awhile ago about a guy who had a wagon with that kind of patina on it. It was even the same color.

He washed the whole car with CLR rust remover and after several days, brought back the original paint. I think he then cleared the whole car. It was cool.

Let me see if I can find the thread...

6. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

7. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

wagons are so cool and almost non existent anymore.. good luck with this project.. so may ways you could go with this..

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

LOVE 59 Ponchos..Kool Find!

9. swe64

swe64

good for you
    save the wagons

Attached Files:

10. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I had 60 and a 61 safari best drivers put about a zillion miles on the 61 sold it to a good friend she would still be on the road if some dope would not have rear ended it and totaled her trully great cars !! good find

11. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I'll chime in.

Nice ride and a great find. Keep that roof rack or let me know if it is for sale...you gotta keep it!

I think all the 59s look great in that gold color, especially the wagons. It will make a great swap meet car, you can put lots of junk in there.

12. Damaged1

Damaged1

Nothing in Wisconsin that OLD is that SOLID for that PRICE. Very nice find!

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Wow...checked out that thread on the '61 wagon and the CLR and I must say it worked great...I think it will work better on the Safari because it isnt quite as bad as the '61 in that thread...

14. Sauli

Sauli

WOW!!!Cool Car and what a save!!! Beautiful color, too! Wagons don´t get much more handsome than that! Why anyone would strip something like that of its drivetrain is beyond me, but luckily they had the good sense to stash the remaining roller indoors for all these years. You sure don´t see something of that vintage having survived the last 50 yrs in that kind of shape every day.
    Just a week ago I was watching the 1959 footage of Mickey Thompson at Bonneville, and interestingly enough he was using a 1960 similar-model Pontiac for push car with his "Challenger I" land-speed record car! Just like someone else suggested already, that would be a neat look to go for with this one, fix it up like a push-rig/parts hauler from back in the day; the push bar, mag wheels, (maybe) some lettering down the sides...(?)

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

It's gotta have a roof rack.....It's for strapping down the spare Top/Fuel slicks! Oh, and it needs a wooden bumper on the front.:D

16. eeluddy

eeluddy

Attached Files:

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

The latest Hot Rod magazine has a pretty good article about a more door 59 that some guys drag race. Exterior is about the same patina as yours. I'd be awful tempted to stuff in a 421 w/ a 4 speed ;-).
    Nice score.

18. Thats gonna be one bad ride when its done. Great find!

19. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

that was a great find, it will be a great cruiser. Abomb's plan sounds like a good one

21. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Looks like a great car!

The 8 lugs should go right on but you'll need a set from 1964 or earlier. 1965-1968 front drums had 1/4" wider brake shoes. This website has good information on them (there are several pages, go to the bottom and click on next page.) http://www.teufert.net/pontiac/8lug/8lug.htm

Reproduction drums are available from Arrowhead Components: http://arrowheadcomponentsinc.com/ If you have money to spend, Roush Racing has developed a disk brake kit that uses modified 8 lug drums, there's a link on the Arrowhead website.

Reproduction rims are available from BOP Engineering. www.bopengineering.com/pontiac_full_size.shtml

22. Congrats! Cool car. Instead of the 8-lugs, I'd love to see some radirs w/ whitewalls on it. Lookin' forward to seeing running & spiffed up.

23. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad idea.

Great idea.

24. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I love that year. Friend had a 4-door that would fly down the freeway 75-80 all day long. Do that drive train swap, put some period mags on it and drive it! We nicknamed it flat top. Nice score.

25. I'm happy for you sir. What else could you want? You got a Pontiac plus when you go cruising there is about a zero chance of pulling up beside another one. That's what I like, something different!!

26. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

27. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Here's a '59 Pontiac Wagon in an upcoming June Auction.

Attached Files:

28. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Did you do anything with this project?