Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Speedway Motors Smith Collection Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Feb 15, 2012.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

It's good to have great friends. Last weekend 6 of us from the Salina area in the middle of Kansas made the three and a half hour trek up to Lincoln NE to go on a tour of a couple of amazing collections. The first one was the Smith Collection at the famous Speedway Motors, the second was a private collection in a secret location and no photos were allowed. Thank you to Gasserlouie and GrouchySS and everyone else involved in getting us up to see all of this automotive awesomeness!

Normally if you arrange a tour here you have a tour guide to take you through the 3 floors of automobilia and the tour takes about 3 hours. The group that showed up Saturday morning was so large that they basically just stationed the guides near certain areas and let us roam around at our leisure.

There were more motors in this museum than there are in most parking lots, all of some historical significance from Indy racers, to experimental engines from the big 3 to many MANY flatheads and 4 cylinder Fords with all manner of speed and power equipment installed. All were beautifully detailed and all of them elicited a "cool" from nearly every passerby.

As part of the display showing different Indy500 engines there was this very cool Miller DOHC V8.

[​IMG]

There were a variety of vintage hot rods and racers on display.
    [​IMG]

Even some Bonneville rides
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Indy display was impressive
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Speedy Bill's personal racers
    [​IMG]

Not a hot rod or a kustom but Tuckers are still kool in my book.
    [​IMG]

Not the original but a very well done tribute.
    [​IMG]

A 3 plug per cylinder flathead
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inline Dragster :)
    [​IMG]

OKay that's it for this time. I'm not even scratching the surface of what I shot, which didn't even scratch the surface of what the collection contained. I was told the displays go through a minimum of 250 changes a year to circulate items so that each time people come through they will see something different.

Thanks again to our friends from Lincoln for taking us on this wonderful adventure!

Back to the day job for a few hours...

See you at a show,

Travis

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Pretty cool! That museum is on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see the rest..

3. chevy59409

chevy59409

That was a great time

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh dear I'd kill for that Bell Engine Crankshaft Special!!! Very cool stuff in there and thanks for taking us along!

5. 36tbird

36tbird

A friend and I are brain-storming a trip for this year on the way to Bonneville. Straight up 35 to 80. Turn a bit east to see Bill's museum. Then west to Wendover. Any interested in a convoy, chime in.

6. We tried to see the display on our way to the west coast, but it doesn't open till 10, and Nebraska is on the way to somewhere else, so you really have to spend the night there to see it. I'm sure it's worth it, but we couldn't wait and had to hit the road.

7. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

thanks for the pics on my bucket list

8. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Thanks for the photo tour Travis. I really need to get out that way, it's not too long of a drive out there. I will definitely put that on my to-do list.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

pretty cool place. 3 of us from Indy went last year

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You just barely got my old Plymouth engine in the edge of your Bonneville car picture. But thanks for that. I miss the thing.

11. stan292

stan292

Guys-

I'm fortunate enough to be one of the Speedway Museum's volunteer staff, and as a "retired" drag racer, Bonneville, and open wheel circle track fan, let me assure you Bill's "Museum of American Speed" is world class all the way. Certainly it contains the world's largest collection of rare and exotic racing engines, and what has to be the biggest bunch of flathead speed equipment in one place. The tour lasts about 2 1/2 hours, and most say they were only able to scratch the surface in that time.

Having been interested in race cars, hot rods, and even toy racers, all my life (I'm 67 years old), I've been to car museums all across the U.S., and a few in Europe while in the service. This place rates with any in existance - and well above most.

If you plan to stop by, be sure to check the tour schedule (posted in any of the company's catalogs or on Speedway's website). It's not just a walk-up deal. From May through September, weekday tours are given at 2:00 P.M. During October through April, they are only on Fridays. It's closed weekends and holidays. If you have a club or other large group, special arrangements can be made by contacting Speedway.

Here's a great tip. The standard tour fee is $10 - and well worth it - but you get a free pass for two people when you make a purchase.

12. Take my word for it...If you have not been to speedybills place you owe it to yourself to take the time and do it. It is outstanding. Something for everyone and your wife will love it also.

13. chubbie

chubbie

my smith collection ticket stub hangs on the office wall above my puter screen great time!!!

14. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks everyone for checking the pics out. I forgot to mention above click any of these photos to see the entire gallery of what I shot that day.

Stan292, thank you for volunteering, the volunteers that we met Saturday were extremely kind and knowledgable and made the experience all the better.

I cannot stress to people enough that these photos do not hold a candle to the real thing, it is an impressive experience beyond my vocabulary.

On to part 2.

When last we left the adventure we were looking at a inline powered FED.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hmmm a v16...
    [​IMG]
    Eye candy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna see some flathead manifolds?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to leave the watermark off but I've been seeing a lot of my shots on other people's sites. I leave it on so everyone knows where to go to look for more cool stuff to look at. It's free to view any of the almost 27,000 photos on the site. Thanks for looking, I'll do another part later tonight and I'll start another thread on the KC World of Wheels show that I attended on Sunday.

See you at a show,

Travis

15. RPL

RPL

For anyone traveling this summer that will be passing near Lincoln, NE, the Speedway Motors - Bill Smith Collection - Museum of American Speed is a bucket list must see. There are 135K sq. ft. of H.A.M.B. friendly displays. Tours are Monday through Friday at 2:00 until 5:00. This isn't nearly enough time to see even a portion of the collection. There are over 600 engines on display documenting the history of racing and performance in America.

I've driven though Lincoln more times than I can remember and was shamed into stopping by the owner of Gratiot Auto Supply. He was right on! This is an amazing gift to us gearheads, as much as The Henry Ford is to the country.

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thanks for posting those shots. As much as I whine about old Bill's business practices, he sure has a great museum, and he wouldn't do that unless he really loved the history involved. Will stop and see it myself some day.

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

It's a truly impressive collection and I really want to go back.

- Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My wife and I went there last summer on the way home from a trip south.
    I stopped in to bring home a few parts for the RPU.
    We were taken on a private tour as there was just myself, my wife and one other fellow there for the tour that day.
    The museum collection is not open to the public, they give daily guided tours at 2 PM.

I was impressed and in the time we were there, we didn't have time to truely see it all. I could spend days there looking over everything.

I also seem to recall that we were told at the beginning of the tour that taking pictures was allowed, but we were asked to keep them for our own use and not distribute them.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Travis...your pix are always "killer" stuff ! I was at Tulsa in 2008 when Speedy Bill was inducted into the National Rod & Custom Car Hall Of Fame and got to meet him there.

Our schedule's didn't work out so we weren't able to do an Interview...but Bill said that if I got to Lincoln we get it done there. I REALLY want to see the Museum too...so, hope to get there by the Fall.

Really want to see that Tucker in person !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  20. Great pics!
    I went years ago in conjunction with R&C Americruise, and it looks like it has at least doubled in size! Did you get to see the pedal cars and the tether cars? He had pallets, in racks, of "stuff" not yet ready for display. It's beyond words, only pictures bring it into jaw-dropping comprehension. It's a national treasure for car guys. Thanks for posting.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the photo tour! Got to get there some time. Bob

22. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

As long as I'm not selling the photos I've been given written permission to post them here and on my site. :)

- Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!