Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone besides Eaton make custom coil springs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I am looking to get lowering springs for my 60 Belair. Some of the parts vendors sell lowering springs. BUT, when I looked at my manual I see there were 6 different springs based on the engine/trans combination and model of car. I would think it would be best to get a set based on this info rather than a "one size fits all" set. I see Eaton springs can make them. I was just wondering if anyone else makes them. Thanks, Todd

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Go to your local auto parts store and ask to see their Moog Spring catalog. Springs are listed in the front by application. BUT, in the back part of the book you'll find listings and explanations of terms by type, wire size, spring rate and free height.
    Find you stock spring number then go to the back and check the listings to find the specs. You should find a number of alternative springs with shorter free height which will give you a nice drop.
    Don't forget to check the shock absorber catalog for shorter shocks if your drop causes a bottoming problem with stock shocks.
    Moog springs are very reasonable and should be used to give a factory ride rather than mushy 50-60 year old springs.

3. Although I haven't used them now in years Betts Spring in Santa Fe Springs, CA made springs for me in the past.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you tried Eckler's? I know they sell 3" lowered springs for my '58 Biscayne.

5. I did see them in Ecklers. But what I was concerned with is that they only have one 3" lowering spring. The springs installed at the factory were based on the size of the motor and trans I have.

6. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What engine do you have? I'm willing to bet there isn't too much difference between a 235 and a 283.

Why don't you just cut the ones you have? (cut off wheel, do NOT torch them)

8. lucky53

lucky53

Todd,

Maybe try Jamco.

I got 3" lower springs for my '54 from him.

I know He's been getting some bad press on the H.A.M.B. lately.

But every time I used them they have done me right.

Plus Jamco is an Alliance Vendor.

I don't know.... Worth a shot. :)

9. I have talked to Jamco. They has exactly what I want. BUT... You are right. All the bad press lately has me really concerned. I don't know if I want to take a chance. I am 100000% in favor of supporting those who support this site but it still worries me when it comes to my hard earned $$ Todd

10. The thing with Eaton is he will garentee the ride height you want and you can send the springs back until he gets it right. e-mail him what u got and he will get right back to u .

11. csimonds

csimonds

Hey Tugg, Did you try Palmer Spring in Mass?
    Chuck

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Coincidently, I just talked to Eaton about making me some custom coil springs for an O/T Fox Mustang I am building. Instead of lowering it, I am old school and want the whole car to sit just a tad higher than stock, plus I am putting in a heavier motor.

The guy I talked to was extremely helpful and quoted me $ 189.00 a pair for the fronts and same for the rear set. He said about 1-2 day turnaround. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone needs custom ones made.

He asked me a lot of questions like what engine, does it have ac, how much I wanted to lift it, etc, then he did the math and came up with a part number.

Don

13. Don, Thanks for that info

Chuck I will do a google search for Palmer springs and see what pops.

Thanks, Todd

14. x-shift

x-shift

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Here in NJ, in Newark, we had a couple truck spring places, that would make springs up for you to your specs. I'm sure there are others across the country, probably some close to you, as well! Nice having someone local do it.

16. csimonds

csimonds

17. Thanks chuck!!!!