Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Blacked out customs? yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EvilOlds88, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

painted chrome, stick-on portholes and an S-10 frame ~ good times, man.

2. Dirty54

Dirty54

Not my car just given an example of no chrome but thanks for the concern didn't mean to cause an tears from the traditional police

3. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

My two cents worth..... I'd never want a satin or flat black car nor would I want painted bumpers. However since you are gonna paint the car flat or satin black, I think high gloss black bumpers and trim would like awesome. Sorta a black tie kinda formal look. But I'm not too sure about the red wheels...maybe black with red rings

4. gump

gump

Guys what about chrome spray paint......... Hehehe kidding maybe

5. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What he^^^^^^^^^said. I've yet to see a car with painted chrome, whether it be trim or bumpers, that looks good. Sort of comparable to mullet hair cuts:D

6. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I hate painted chrome on classic cars....especially bumpers...

7. TheSatchmo

TheSatchmo

^^^

8. EvilOlds88

EvilOlds88

I was tinkering with it earlier and the more I looked at it the more I think the painted trim and bumpers would be kinda weird lookin. The bumpers are huge chunks of steel that would probably look like black shapeless globs on the front and rear. The chrome gives them definition and style. If it had thin body lines like a 70 nova or 66 mustang I could get away with it and look cool... not the case here. I figure some ATF fluid and scotch bright will go a looooong way. I notice alot of people seem to not care for the red wheels and I see where yall are comming from. Around here you don't see but mabey one or two rods with that color steels on them. But in the event I hit somthin in the citys and wanted to be a little "out of typical" would gloss black wheels do her? Maybe gray?

And what's so wrong with mullets? haha

9. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I think that black 54 says it all, don't do it.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im happy you came to your senses about the painted chrome. bad chroe always look better than painted over. ALWAYS!
    If you really wanna go black, maybe satin or semi gloss would be better, and black wheels w/ trim rings and bullet lug covers.
    Those 58s are awesome machines, especially when slammed on the rockers. Too bad nobody seems to care about them.

11. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I say give it a try. If you like it, you like it. If not, acetone or aircraft stripper will take it off. The problem with asking that sort of question here is that everybody is extremely concerned with fitting everything tightly and compactly into a little box labeled "traditional". If you feel the need to limit yourself by choice or otherwise into theis catagory for the sake of a definition, you should follow the fairly ambigous rules that everybody thinks they know.

If you want to be a little different and satisfy your own visions and mind-play, Do what you want and don't post about it here. Could you imagine how boring life would be if everybody fit the same mold? You can't be a pioneer by following somebody else's footsteps. The only way to know is to try it for yourself.

12. 46jimbo

46jimbo

this is a "traditional" rod and custom forum, thought that was made clear from the begining, and if your posting here, its because your aiming for the traditional style.

13. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Further solidifys my point. It makes sense to use it if you are aiming for traditional.

If you aren't aiming for traditional, then just don't post it...... Just like it says in the last post.

14. Special Ed

Special Ed

WTF? If you aren't "aiming for traditional", why would you even bother with the HAMB? :confused:

15. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

Doesn't really need to hi-jack a painted bumper thread to debate the use of a forum. Fact of the matter is that just like anything automotive; parts, methods, practices, and other things automotive cross boarders.

For instance. If I am looking for info related to a carb issue, how is a carb issue on a "traditional" car any different than a carb issue on a "non-traditional" car? Therefore some people may actually use the forum to trade experiences even if they aren't (gasp) traditional related.

Information is information. You don't have to be married to the traditional style to want information that can apply to anything. Traditional is a label that is applied to a certain style. It's like saying I that you like jeans. You may like boot cut or you might like straight leg. In the end they both have zippers and cover your junk.

This website is a traditional style website. Agreed. I've been a member here for several years, it's not news to me.

All I'm saying is that it's fine to dabble in non-traditional style cars (apply whatever label you want to them). But if you do, just don't post about it.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I guess you mean this car: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=9440 I have seen this car in person and it is even better than pictures can portray it,Joe did one hell of a job on his build.(kinda helps He is a body shop manager :D)

17. say! whats wrong with red wheels. Some of us had them before von dutch hats and the term ra.....ra.... well you know what I'm saying

18. A `58 OLDS Need's That Chrome To Shine, just rechrome as the money allows
    drive and have FUN. TWIAA JMHO

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

It seems as if "traditional" means different things to different people,if you were to build a car along the lines of what you owned in the 50's and 60's does that equal "traditional" ? Lets say in 1963 you had a car that was lowered all around with Lancer hubcaps and a mirror muff with your high school graduation tassel hanging from it with a matching furry package tray and other J.C. Whitney "goodies" is that "traditional" or what if you went to the drags and came back and built a car with a jacked up front end sans bumper with 5.60X15's up front and 820X15 Atlas Bucrons on the rear which is "traditional" ? Since both styles existed "back in the day"

20. Special Ed

Special Ed

"...if you were to build a car along the lines of what you owned in the 50's and 60's does that equal "traditional" ?"

Of course those are both traditional. Who says they're not? :confused:

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

thanks !!! :D

22. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Just wanted to throw it out there, since somebody mentioned chrome spray paint.... I've totally used this stuff, and depending on what brand you use (I like either ACE or Krylon) it can work awesome!!!! We fixed up a 80s Ford Ranger in my shop class to sell and it had rusty bumpers. Hit the bad spots with 120 grit on the DA, painted with the chrome stuff, and buffed it out. From 5 feet away you'd never know the difference, and from across the parking lot on a sunny day they looked brand new!!

Also, as stated, stainless polishes up easy as pie, as does chromed pot metal. The window trim, headlight and tail light bezels, headlight visors (witch I thought were beyond help at first), along with some dash trim all look like brand new thanks to a couple Brilo pads and some Never Dull. The side trim I did as previously stated and shaved of and sold. Looks better smoothed out and money in my pocket.

And this is coming from an 18 year old with ZERO budget...

23. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

Also, I think red wheels look really classy with full hub caps so you just see a ring of red arouf them. A lot of cars came from the factory that way....

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Oh God No....I thought we made it out of the 80"s.........Although, by a few cars pictured some are still stuck there....

25. Nay. '58 Olds' do need to shine. Poll?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  26. 46jimbo

46jimbo

agreed spoggie, to much pretty chrome there to hide it