Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1959 Ford F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53olds, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Wags66

Wags66
    from Montana

Great build kid. Being a Mopar guy, Im digging your motorvation. Keep it up. I will follow.

2. Well spent a full day wrenching on the truck with my girl and loving every minute of it. We both had greasy hands at the end of the day.

Took the core support off, moved the steering arm down so I could drop the oil pan..see the dipstick broke and I wanted to see if it was in there..well didn't find it so maybe it was already broke..dunno...anyways here's some pics.

Attached Files:

3. Pulled the engine out tonight. Going to start cleaning up the engine with some Ford red engine paint. I got as far as removing the exhaust manifolds then had to go get a cough cough valentines gift.. ;)

Attached Files:

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You need something for that cough young man, just be careful, the remedy can be more expensive than a hotrod! Just kidding Jon, a honey that will help you on your project is priceless. Good luck!

6. Holy crap, just set back and am now wondering what the hell I'm doing..ugh

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ahhh, just take it a day at a time. No sweat man. If she's willing to swing wrenches alongside you thats a good thing, not enough of those types of ladies around, but if she can beat you at arm wrestling, look out! :eek: :D

8. No I'm not talking about the girl. I'm talking about taking my engine out. I'm so close to having it driving and now I gotta get an oil pan gasket and ughh, just wasting time/

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh okay. lol As for the engine, you've done so much other work on the truck, taking care of the bottom end and making sure you have it right is the right thing to do, no matter what a pain in the ass it may be. It'll make for fewer headaches down the road.

10. johnboy13

johnboy13

He's right. Just stay on track and in no time it'll be a driver and you won't have to pull it off the road for nothin'. Like you, I wish I had left well enough alone, but when it's finished (if I can ever find the time and the money) I'll be happier.

11. I guess so.. lol, I just wish I would have thought about that before. Now I have to buy a new intake gasket kit. I'm just wondering since I am taking stuff apart and repainting, should I remove the intake to or just leave it alone? I did buy some chrysler red engine enamel.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If the engine ran good before I'd suggest not messing with the intake, just put the engine on a stand, install your pan, then clean and paint the whole engine. It can also be a bit of a p.i.t.a but it'll be worth it if you take your time. When I paint an engine I stuff clean rags into the ports, fuel pump hole etc to keep overspray out.
    Another thought, port sealing is important but just scraping all the paint off the flats leaves exposed metal and looks kinda crappy. I've set a gasket in place, scribed round it and scraped off just where the gasket has to seal with a single edge razor blade. This can be tedious but it'll insure a good seal.

13. I slapped the engine back in! Still gotta buy a pan gasket and do all that crap but it's not hard to do while underneath.
    Alot deeper red in person..

Attached Files:

14. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

That's some skill you have there, for a 15-yo guy.
    I'm 20 years older (i know, time flies) and I can't do a 10th what you can on a car. Keep it up and in a few years you will be one of the go to guys here.

[ok, i'm cr*p on cars and bikes but i'm good at building houses. it's easier, but it still makes me happy ;-) ]

15. Thanks alot man :)

Not much of an update but I snagged a brand new battery off of my sisters honda that decided to toss a rod..so hopefully it'll work.

16. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

17. Well yesterday I started taking panels of the truck down to bare metal. I did the door with an 80 grit flapper disc on a grinder..works good..and my girl was there to learn!..:)

Also on the door only found two dents and a little rust hole in the bottom corner..all good.

Attached Files:

18. Today we sanded down the fender and primed, then the splash pan..busy weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  19. A Rodder

A Rodder

Looking good Jon!

20. Thanks Joe!

21. After school today it was really freakin cold and rainy. So what do I do? Go out in the garage and work! haha I sanded the door down and my girl sat and watched..I made sure she was warm and she was happy :) Gonna have her try the grinding in a couple days..

Attached Files:

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Good job Jon, on a side note I praise you on the safety glass, but with all the dust and paint particles you should really consider a particle dust mask of some kind. There cheap and your lungs will thank you..

23. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Jon, love the truck. Not a lot of guys your age have a good eye and the skills to boot. Can't wait to see how she progresses. You inspired me... I'm gonna go do some wrenchin' today.

24. Yeah I gotta find my respirator. I know it's in the garage somewhere. I'm feeling it in my sinuses today for sure..

25. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

You're right there. I have a respirator too, use it for anything that involves sanding of any kind. You just have to work for 30 mins without one, then blow your nose and see the cr*p that comes out to know it's good to have, even if you DO sound like darth vader wneh you have it on.

26. Yeah I can not find mine. So I bought some dust masks. On a side note I picked up some Air Craft paint stripper in a can and have been scraping paint/ bondo off....fun..and my laptop crashed so have not been able to get on here as much.

27. 510madmav

510madmav

Right on man !!!

28. Funny you replied as I was sanding bondo off my roof and drip rails I was hoping it wouldn't look like yours did..haha

29. 510madmav

510madmav

dude you could stick your whole head through my old roof

30. cgc1958

cgc1958
    Member Emeritus
    1. 1957-59 Ranchero's

Nice truck! I helped restore a 59 a few years ago, they are so cool. I remember it being the biggest victory finding a radio for it on epay.