Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead valves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flyinsolo71, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

So I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. I pulled the heads off of my 51 Ford. One of the valves had what I am guessing to be a seal loose and hanging under the valve like a ring. I managed to tap it back into the block. I am guessing the valve was stuck and the seal popped out when I started it. It had not run since 1990. Will it be okay or do I need to replace it?

2. do you have a pic? it almost sounds like you are describing a valve seat

3. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Yes, sorry. I believe it is the seat. It is a ring directly under the valve.

4. ya that is the valve seat.you might want to peen the bolck in four places around the seat or their is a good chance it will pop out again and also check the face of the valve for any irregularities

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Clean and inspect area VERY carefully...loose seat is often caused by a crack, usually the dreaded valve-to-bore crack.
    If block is good, Joblot may still have some of the slightly oversize dry-ice fit repair seats. And peen for good measure. Valve may be junk from its seat hitting against the loose block seat...