Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody hot rod- a step down -hudson?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damagedduck, Jun 18, 2011.

1. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

Got pics?

2. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Ok... quick Bic pen sketch on copy paper, shot with a camera... but it gives you the basic concept.. Yes.. looks a perfect lead sled project to me.

[​IMG]

3. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

You have to keep the hood ornament and little chrome bits on the nose, because a Hudson is just about as bitchin' a car as you can show off. I would clean the grill out, smooth up the bumper, maybe trim the headlight chrome a little, but other than just chopping and smoothing and lowering it down, you already have a GREAT basic car!

4. 51hornetdude

51hornetdude
    from denver

I would try to get a Hudson motor/trans. They are much better than you would think. Are you going to win a stoplight drag against a SBC.......no. Who cares. It's still cool. I live in Aurora Co. You are welcome to come drive my 51 Hudson super six with original 262 w/overdrive to see if you like it. I also have a decent supply of Hudson parts and motors for when you need stuff. Here is a picture of my 51 Super.

Attached Files:

5. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I have a 51 wasp 262 that runs good stock, but has clutch or converter problems. I also have been thinking what motor. top of my list right now is Buick nailhead 401 or 425 torque monster. Second choice jimmy 6 - 270 or 302 anything else would be an injustice. But thats my opinion. good luck jim

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

thanks guys,
    trailerguy thanks for artwork,hope ya don't mind but i stole your art work for my collection.for the record no matter what i do to my car i won't change it to much. i wanna keep the hudson look-not a merc clone.i don't see myself chopping the top,waaayy to much work/drama &i have a very limited budget,limited tools,i wanna get it being a daily driver first,then do things as i go along,rounding corners,filling seams.
    so thanks for the info/thought/suggestions,i know it may never be restored,but who know what the future holds,one thing i know for sure this car WILL be in my family for rest of it's life,my kids know how much this car means to me,i spent a crap load of time reading the panty dropper post,& others
    this site is freaken great! no real issues,i like the idea of everybody throwing suggestions out there,please keep ideas coming,i've already started getting plans for getting it in my garage,i have it stored at a friends house.geez i wish i had gotten it here, before all my exta parts got stolen, thanks again ---chuck

7. zarbtime

zarbtime

Right here in river city we have our own living legend [a legend in his own mind] 51 Hudson owner...Using a Hudson 6 he has a nitrous oxide system...and that's just the tip of the iceberg....I will give more details in my next post...Ford 9 inch ,special Hydramatic treatment, the list goes on and on....His name is Uncle Bill and more later...PS I have a bone stock 51 that I plan on leaving bone stock...

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Bruce Crower put a big Chrysler in one years back

9. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

hudsons are super cool, I love the trucks most.

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

more detail please.

11. studhud

studhud

12. Greetings from Montana,I have a 1951 Hudson Coupe,with a 308 with Nos 6 port Nitrous system,Kicks ass on the small blocks all day long! Anyone can put in a chevy in a Hudson,it is easy,lots of room under the hood! Uncle Bill

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

well after 2 month away from this post,i finally found the motor & tranny i'm gonna use..THE LEANING TOWER OF POWER! a 1970 slant 6 :eek:
    let the hate start.....:mad:

Attached Files:

14. you wouldnt be the first one ot put one of those in there. here in australia we are lucky enough to have the hemi 6, if i was to do a non hudson swap it would be my choice of engine. do they ever get them cranking, and the swap looks fairly straight forward (at least for us right hand drive owners)

15. i love those hudsons! i'm gonna own one one day:cool:

16. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Did a full upgrade on a 54 sedan over10 years? ago using an Australian 265 Chrysler Hemi 6 cylinder and Auto. Fitted a Jag front end and Centura rear as well.
    A great riding car that went hard.
    Have photos somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  17. captmullette

captmullette

father has the 49 and the son has the 47 9 sec car...both hot rods

Attached Files:

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is a Hudson 308 bored out to 312 and using the Twin H system and it turns in 12 second times now in the Quarter mile drags.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

19. No Fords

No Fords
    from Texas

By the late 50s these cars were popular, particularly in California, with Olds or Caddy engines. At that time, the SBC was considered not torquey enough to move a big Hudson. This was all before the BBC Chevy.

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Normbc9 & No Fords.
    Thank for breathing some life back into this,between life sucking the the LIFE out of me & work -haven't had a chance to even look at my car,2 steps forward & 3 steps back for the stepdown!:D

21. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

keep at it my friend we have all been there. keep us posted. i am looking for a huson myself. think they are absolutely terrific looking "rods"!

22. xoticcustoms

xoticcustoms

I know you already found your drive train but here's what I'm doing with my 48 hudson commodore 4dr. I took a '94 Cadillac seville and cut the bodys off of both and merged the hudson body onto the cadillac floorpans, interior, suspension and drivetrain. I own a shop and usually stick to pre 64 parts but I didn't have the time or money for my own project to build a reliable cruiser with original parts. Almost done with it. Got maybe another week of nights to finish the hood latch and door hinges. Way cheap and easy way to make your hudson reliable and a daily driver while looking like it just got pulled outta the weeds. I have bout $2500 into a '48 hudson that i can turn the key and do 80mph and get 23mpg. Going to drive it from Lincoln, NE to VIVA this year with air conditioning, heat, heated seats and a huge back seat.

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

why not a hemi?

24. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

2 reasons no hemi & no $$, i can pick up a 241 Red Ram hemi for $300 but i still would have work it over & find a tranny. my budget is tighter than the school budget!
    I talked to Press Kale again last night,the man is a fountain of information,if i was in Cali my ass would over at his house & all over his Hudson,:D

25. There used to be a local Hornet that had a 225/auto that ran great! Had air and cruise in it. Car would do 80 mph all day long.

I see you've talked with Press Kale, who HAD the K-Gap Hudson parts store before he sold it off. He has a 225 and auto in his '49 Hudson Super Six. Literally, he drives that everywhere! He has many thousands of miles on that car with that Chrysler engine in it. He is a super guy to talk to and deal with.

Attached Files:

• Kale.jpg
      Kale.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  26. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Press is one hell of a great guy,i talked to him a few times,would love to see his car in person & ask a million questions, i feel like a stalker when it comes to his car............chuck

27. Dino

Dino

I have a '53 Hornet, and I have to say it's a really great driving car. The stock motor is badass and I'd keep it if I were you. In addition, these cars really look custom from the factory...great handling and looking cars.

28. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

49 Has a 318 in it.[​IMG]

29. chrisnben

chrisnben
    from wisconsin

Just jumping in here...I'm scooping up a 54 Hornet twin-H coupe with a 392 hemi in it. Plan on a full resto and getting some power from the Whale 425/500. I'm looking for sugesstions/parts venders on upgrading the rear end and front suspension. She'll also have a 4-spd A518 tranny (mopar) or a 700r4 Chebby, haven't decided. Apparently it was owned by a life 'er Hudson guy, Pat Meehan in Cali. Whadda think?

30. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

rear end info:: from different guys on different sites::::
    You could just make the bolt-in swap with a '52-'54 Hudson axle. It's a Dana 44, with a wide range of ratios available. They've been used in several recent cars, including both Ford and Chevy,------Park W

I agree with Park, the 52-54 Dana 44 would be excellent. But if You are wanting a Ford rear end, A lot of the Granadas had 9 inch rears. Especially the ones with the 302 small block and many of them came with 300 ci sixes and also usd the 9 in rear......Bob Hickson

i was also told that Jeep Cherokee,ford ranger/explorer, lincoln versailles will swap in also

http://www.classiccar.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=152&Itemid=152

front disc swap::::::HUDSON DISC BRAKE CONVERSION
    PARTS LIST AND INFORMATION SHEET

ROTORS:
    RAYBESTOS Right #6045 Left #6047
    NAPA Right #85802 Left #85803
    These rotors are found on 1975-1979 Ford Granada/ Mercury Monarch

CALIPERS:
    RAYBESTOS Right #RC4043 Left #RC4044
    NAPA Right #242-2015 Left #242-2014
    These calipers were originally used on 1969-1974 Nova and 1969 Camaro

BRAKE PADS:
    RAYBESTOS D-52 ORGANIC OR MD-52 SEMI-METALLIC
    WAGNER 728A (same as D52)
    The RAYBESTOS calipers above come loaded with MD-52 pads.
    Organic pads have been used, and seemed to work well on the HUDSONs.
    Uses WAGNER Pad clips # F73102-5

BRAKE HOSES:
    WAGNER or PRONTO #F80027 (Best choice)
    RAYBESTOS #BH38160 (Will work but have to be modified to fit the frame bracket)
    Use Lawson Hose retention clips for frame bracket.

BANJO BOLTS:
    RAYBESTOS # H 5373 7/16 X 20 X 1.346
    NAPA #82701

WHEEL STUDS:
    NAPA #641-1578 10ea. Pressed into hub
    WAGNER #8D61269
    Use NAPA #641-2026 Lug Nuts

BEARING RACES:
    BCA #09195 (Pressed into rotor hub)
    BEARING RACES continued,
    BCA #15245 (Pressed into rotor hub)

WHEEL SEALS:
    NATIONAL #482253

CALIPER BOLT:
    WAGNER # F76075-S

if you wanna do a sub frame swap..i could post that info also??

WOW!if i had stopped to think about what i did. would i have done it?????:eek: