Register now to get rid of these ads!

200 4r metal converter cover

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamed40, Feb 5, 2012.

1. flamed40

flamed40
    from NE Ohio

Good friend with no computer needs new metal converter for 200r4 on small block. Can only find cheap fit-all covers? Needs to trim for gear drive stater. Building nice 40 ford pickup. Thanks for any help.

Don

2. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked for a new converter cover for a 200R for over a year. Even tried the local GM dealers. No luck. Hit the salvage yards. I don't think they made a metal cover. All the ones I have seen are plastic.

3. I was looking for an aftermarket oil pan for one. They are also hard to find.

4. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

I have some metal ones here someplace. Let me do some digging . :cool:

5. I have a 200-4r my bro-in-law gave me waiting to go into my '56, and have been keeping my eyes peeled for a metal converter cover as well. I did see an aftermarket aluminum(?) oil pan advertised in Super Chevy or Chevy High Performance magazine a couple of years ago. My memory was it was spendy, like $200-$300.

6. mj40's

mj40's

Same problem here. I need one for a 700r4 that I need to alter to go behind a 401 Nailhead.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

I know what you are saying. Installed a 200 4R from Bowtieoverdrives. They sold me a universal inspection cover made of plastic thaat you have to trim to clear the starter. BTO said metal covers are not available. A major problem is the plastic cover rubs the torque converter. I ended up taking it off. The tq converter creates alot of heat. So it may be a benefit not to mount the cover because it contains the heat, and heat is a transmission worst enemy. Still, I worry about running over a hefty bag or something that can jam up the flex plate and tq converter.

8. fortynut

fortynut

My first reaction was to wonder if any vendors on HAMB have the facility to do a short production run for these, maybe out of aluminum. And, then I thought, 'These are car guys, who should either know how to find something they can adapt to their use from another transmission', and then I said to myself, 'What ever happened to making your own'? Or, making a adapter plate to use one of another model? 400's have metal covers. And, I've seen valve cover adapters used to run older Chevy valve covers on Inline motors, or to clear rockers on V8's. Anyone with a mill could whip one up, I would think, thin enough not to put the cover too low. And, my take on using one is they keep dirt from attacking the engine rear seal, the starter gear, and the trans front seal.

40 Coupe Since 69 likes this.
  9. flamed40

flamed40
    from NE Ohio

Thanks to everyone who answered. Never thought they were that hard to find. He's a good fabricator. Guess he'll just make up something or run without!

Don

10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Has anybody looked into using one off a 4x4? I used to be big into offroading and my 700r4 in a 83 GMC had a metal one. Might be worth a shot

11. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Ok I found some.. Ill post some pics later after lunch :cool:.. 700s used a plastic one. 200R4s are metal.

12. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I found one at a pick a part off a 200 trans on a Buick I think. It fit my 200r4. It was metal.

13. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Ok here are some pics. :cool:

Attached Files:

14. MCPO

MCPO

Sleeper_6, you want to sell one for a 200R4?

15. Sporty45

Sporty45

Sleeper_6 was last here just over 3 years ago. Not sure he will see this, but worth a shot I guess. Maybe someone else will see this post and have one for ya, though ;)

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I had a cast aluminum cover for my 700R4 that came from four wheel drive, gave it to a friend when I changed to a 2004R. Plastic on the 200 and I hate them, on my second one.

17. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I used to think not using a cover would let the converter cool better until I went through a gravel parking lot and got a stone up inside there and it gouged the converter. It didn't leak but I knew it was just a matter of time. I ended up replacing the converter and putting a cover on it.. They were a dime a dozen back then..

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have a cover that looks like what sleeper6 posted. Don’t know what it fits, don’t remember what I pulled it from (note to self: write what it came off of on the part...). Definitely doesn’t fit a 700R4, though.

It’s yours if you want it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. MCPO

MCPO