Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOT ROD TOPIC HERE! Mounting Shifter Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm mounting the shifter in my roadster.

whats the rule... mounting the shifter bracket to the trans or can the shifter be mounted to the trans crossmember?

I need to get it in the right location- where I need it it'll be set back a ways.

its for the side shift 39 lasalle

Tuck

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

ok---

ill post pics of my intake that I traded my edlebrock 6X2 for this Weiand from titus- it has the correct water outlets.

I spent 8 hours sanding out the nicks from getting bumped around- it was previously polished... I still have a long ways to go to get there where I want... but they'll look like jewels.

I cant thank titus enough he saved my ass with this trade.

Heres the pics...

now for my question...
    anyone know?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jerry

jerry

It really should be mounted to the trans or tailshaft to keep the linkage in alignment when under torque. Maybe you could get away with crossmember mounting if the motor and tranny ore solid mounted.

jerry

4. RoadKat

RoadKat

If you can mount it to the trans. it will be smoother shifting going thru the gears. Otherwise the linkage is likely to bind some when the engine torque starts moving things around under the body.

5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

cool thats what I thought-
    I can mount it to the trans ill just have to get crafty and make an extended bracket to get it where I want it-

Thanks alot...

Tuck

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yea Tuck, i'd agree... mounted on the x-member might be askin for trouble of the very least adjusting your linkage all the freekin time from flex/twist

tailshaft mounted is what i am going with for my '54 taking it off the column and putting it on the floor. modified indy shifter guts and some rod for the lever...FWIW :D

7. Radshit

Radshit

I have the same Hemi/ LaSalle combo in the HAG....and my shifter is mounted on the front of the tailshaft...on some kind of home made bracket...I could post pics if'in you need 'em...

8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm getting ready to change to a 50 olds short shaft lasalle....

I made a bracket and started to frame up the X member... then ill take this tranny out and swap in the olds with this new trans mount.

It should work slick and then I can make the bracket for the shifter.

Post pics if you got em... im curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuck

9. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

i have 2 pics of my lasalle with hurst shifter

but there seem to be some sort of picture uploading problem with the hamb, ill try later

10. Radshit

Radshit

Are those Hockey Pucs I see there??.............Canadians......geeshh!hehe

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

yeah the pucks are TEMP untill the speedway biskets show up- I think the pucks are gonna be too hard-

12. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

get those damn honda jacks out from under that hotrod!!!! :eek: ;)

i mounted mine to my tailshaft but thats a th350 but same thing just less linkage and shit but mine works flawless. i just kinda looked thru the speedway book and stole the design from one they sell and just made it my self for 4 bucks in metal and conduit:D

13. skyspop

skyspop

I'd look for another alternative to the speedway mounts,or maybe it wont be so bad for just your tranny,but the ones I got from speedway for the cadillac motor flattened out like doilys,theyre weak as shit...