Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 Chev Impala 2dr wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by al37ford, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Ok, this thread will get some flak as a friend has found a '59 Chev 2dr wagon. The owner claims it is a real Impala as the military ordered some for it's higher up's that year..so COPO's. The others were Brookwood's but how to tell the difference as trim swaps are easy?

2. this thread is totally useless with out pics military vehicles are almost allways strippers so im doubting the impala

3. Damn, thats nice, but I'd like to see it when/if military.

Attached Files:

4. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Definately not useless.

Nice looking car, I dont know if i'd beleive its really an impala never heard of a 59 Imp 2dr wag but who knows. very nice looking wag !

5. I brought up the very same car on another thread here recently and most said I was full of shit .... I have saw that wagon before listed on e-bay in the past and the seller was going with the very same story there and if I remember correctly he has the original purchase order and delivery invoice to back up his claims .... sure is a nice looking wagon.

Knowing the military train of thought I guess its possible but I would sure like to see the validation.

6. b-bop

b-bop

7. Deuces

Deuces

Don't you mean a Yo-man.... Man???

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

If it was a real impala (nomad), gm would have put chrome trim around the windows. the "impala" trimmed 4 door wagons were called nomad, not impala. all the wagons had different mames than the passenger cars, brookwood shared the biscayne trim level,parkwood ,the belair, and nomad ,the impala.There were no nomad 2 door wagons.
    it is likely that the original purchaser ordered some impala trim and installed it himself, because he liked the look.... It is even more likely that whomever restored the car installed it because they thought it would be neat , and now it is "real" because it exists....

notice the chrome trim around the windows of this real nomad....

Attached Files:

9. Squablow

Squablow

Also the jailbars in the tail lights, note the 2 door car in question doesn't have them. And even if it was the real thing, it's been all street-rodded out anyway, ruining any collector value it might have had if it was real, which it isn't.

10. cheveey57

cheveey57

agree with the rest that isn't real. but it is nice.

11. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

I'd like to see the vin numbers on the car to see what it shows up at...Notice I said numbers? Anyone can do a quick vin swap with a rivet gun but what do all of the the vins say?

12. Shit, all the crap that gets added/subtracted to the new cars at the dealership I work at, I wouldn't have a doubt that some dealer added Impala trim to a wagon and sold 'em as 'Specials". Eye candy to draw in the unsuspecting.

And I bet I could come up with a better story than the 'military' one.

Cosmo

13. Those "jailbar" taillights were standard on Nomad wagons (only made four-door) and optioned for wagons and ElCamino .... my question would be did it come from the factory like this or added later .... putting two door bel air or el camino trim on a parkwood (2-dr wagon) is not that uncommon (read this http://www.streetrodderweb.com/feat..._impala_biscayne_brookwood_wagon/viewall.html )

.... like I said earlier, nothing surprises me from the military but I would want to see documentation to know if the car was ordered this way.

14. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

People need to understand that without proper documented proof a story is just a story, true or not.

15. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I was just going to post pics of my old Nomad Jon. I had "experts" telling me constantly how my 59 wasnt a real Nomad.
    That said, after hours of searching when I owned that wagon, I never came across any mention of a 2dr wagon being called a impala wagon.
    Just my .02

16. b-mauger

b-mauger

who cares if its factory it looks good and its mildly hot rodded so leave it at that and run the hell out of it. i have seen a 59 utilty sedan with 348 factory air and grill gaurd with factory paint. it was untouched. so you never know what they did or sold. also had a brookewood wagon with bumper steps with all factory paint looked to never have been touched up or hit in anyway.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wasn't the Kingswood the wagon equivalent of an Impala sedan? Biscayne/Bel Air/Impala vs. Brookwood/Parkwood/Kingswood? I didn't realize there was a 59 Nomad.

18. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

The kingswood was the 9 passanger in 59 and 60

19. Swifster

Swifster

I've learned with old cars to never say never. BUT, I'd need to see the cowl tag. That would end all debate.

20. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i was in the military staff cars were just that cars or jeeps.

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the Nomad was the top of the line wagon and the most expensive base price car. $42 more than a convertible.

They must have sold them by the pound :).

<table class="table_data" border="2" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="6">Impala Series 1800 - V-8</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td>69</td> <td>4 dr Sedan - 6P</td> <td>$2,710</td> <td>3,620 lbs</td> <td rowspan="4">Note 1 </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="23">18</td> <td>39</td> <td>4 dr Hardtop Sport Sedan - 6P</td> <td height="23">$2,782</td> <td height="23">3,670 lbs</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td>37</td> <td>2 dr Hardtop Sport Coupe - 6P</td> <td>$2,717</td> <td>3,580 lbs</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td>67</td> <td>2 dr Convertible - 5P</td> <td>$2,967</td> <td>3,650 lbs</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="6" height="23">Nomad Station Wagon Series 1800 - V-8</td> </tr> <tr> <td>18</td> <td height="23">35</td> <td height="23">4 dr Nomad - 6P</td> <td>$3,009</td> <td>3,975 lbs</td></tr></tbody></table>

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

23. flat top austin

flat top austin

It went Th nomad the kingswood parkwood and brookwood Ive heard of and actual Impala wagon before my neighbor said he had one that wasnt a nomad but an impala!