Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957 chevy task force p/u suspension discussion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamsrotors, Feb 6, 2012.

1. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

since recently buying/riding/building a bobber, the smell of gasoline and oil & grit under my nails made me finally step into what I always wanted to build...a rod.

so, I found the p/u right here in the classifieds on the HAMB and the rest is history.

[​IMG]

it's pretty far along and great start of a project to jump into...got a nice deal on it too.
    handles/trim/fuel are all shaved with a pretty sweet flat red paint job...
    it's been c-notched with a stretched front axle and mono-leaf.
    cokers & smoothies...has a 454 in it with a lokar floor shifted 3-speed turbo 400.

I'm already in the process of redoing the interior...it's actually in paint right now. new upholstery, carpet, glass, rubber, gauges, etc.
    I'm going to refinish and stain the bed boards (has a raised bed for the notch) and am adding a roll pan.
    I redid the exhaust with glass pack turndowns, blue dots, pin-stripping and some other odds n' ends to make it mine.
    it's a strong runner, but after buttoning up the motor/tran/rear end leaks/seals, I'm onto suspension.

my question is this...
    I think I want to keep it's balls and embrace the baddass rod it is and retain the rigid suspension, but just swap in new parts.
    I want to first re-enforce the c-notch but also get a new axle in and swap leafs/shocks, etc.

I'm not too familiar with the "stretching" of an axle, but does it serve the same purpose of drop axles I've been seeing for it?
    also would fresh shocks and new mono leaf help at all? just get everything new, tight, unbent, and ready to roll?
    it's not a smooth ride at all, but also not terrible...I just noticed a bent tie rode and some other hack-job type stuff underneath and want to go thru it all.
    an IFS seems nice, but a lot of cash/effort for something I feel the truck is not. should I reconsider? is there and EASY way to do it? how about affordable?
    adding front disc brakes is on my agenda to get our product on her, so maybe I should open up to the idea? was hoping to get a discussion going about it.

rear suspension, leafs...they look to have been heated up for the drop...how many leafs should go in to replace it? buy a kit?

as for the reared, it has a 10-bolt now...what came on this from the factory?
    thoughts on re-gearing? its leaking so I'm going to take it apart and reseal...anything to consider when I'm in it?

thanks in advance...
    -a

2. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Nice truck, did you happen to get it up near roseville off catlett road? I could have swore I saw this truck sitting out there last year. As for the rear leaves If they have been heated I would get rid of them and get a kit for it. They will break if they have been heated. And yes stretching is actually dropping the outside ends of the axle. I think you can still get springs for the rear from posies, That is what is under mine purchased from R&B's obsolete but they are no longer. Show us some more pics of the notch and front end.

3. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

^ thanks...

truck was picked up in sac near arden. guy may have lived there I'm not sure.

I plan to get better pics next time I'm under it.
    the notch is ratty, but it does the job...I just want to grind it down a bit and run some fresh beads over it.

as for the leaf springs, I think I'll be doing that and a new front mono.
    ...if you had to guess, what drop/count/kit should I pick-up for the rear to retain that ride height?
    I'm thinking about picking THIS up for the front.

4. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

whoa...actually check THIS one. thoughts?

and HERE is the drop axle.

5. pinky49

pinky49

nice truck! i have mono leafs all around on my 57 gmc. it made it low, but the ride is poor. i had another 57 that i did a dropped axle & only had 3 leafs in the front pack & it rode quite a bit better.
    good luck, ed

6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

AS A GUESS I would say the rear has a 3" lowered spring and block combo to reach that height, I dont know if you could do it with just springs. Probably a 3" block. I cant remember what mine are but I also have 3" blocks on them. Im not a fan of those axles from cpp, I installed one on a buddies truck and we had had a hell of a time with the king pin bosses and the alignment. If you already have a dropped Ibeam stick with it. As for the mono leaves I have never done a set personally but have talked with people that have them and they ALL hate them. Very poor ride and I have also heard of them breaking at the eyes. Im sure you could find a spring shop that could make you a leaf pack for front and rear that would be better than those monos. Check with posies too.

7. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Depends what you want to do with it; mainly superslab straight lines? Stick with a beam axle in front. Want to autocross or canyon carve? Go with an IFS. Rear leaf/lowering kits are available from CPP and other sources for around 500 bananas. Add an anti-roll bar along with the IFS and it'll handle like a sports car. Been there, done it, and lovin it. :)

Great looking truck, btw.

8. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

^ that just made up my mind...straight axle it is.

I need to upgrade my shocks/springs/tie rods and call it a day.
    thanks for all the help guys...now to figure out what kit to use.

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Don't forget to rebuild the kingpins and upgrade to modern tie rods. Without the kingpins being right, it won't matter what else you do, it'll handle crappy...even for a straight axle.

10. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

^ exactly...any particular companies you recommend?
    I think that alone will help me a bunch...

*edit: looks like CPP has a kit, and a nice DIY.

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Try Rock Auto.com

12. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Actually, if I'd come back to this thread quick enough I'd have made the same recommendation!

13. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

14. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

^ thanks but...meh.
    I'm sticking with monos.
    ordering 3/6" drops from POL, less the shocks...doing bilsteins.

also, inspected my drop axle and it's a beast!
    super lower and solid...keeping it and overhauling the rest.

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Cool post up some pics after you get it all done! I like the thought of the warranty that they are offering too. Good deal man.