Register now to get rid of these ads!

History of the TLB/American Graffiti 1955

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Graffiti32, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

2. Igosplut

Igosplut

Very nice and very thorough work on the history of these cars. Nice site layout also. The people that own the cars should give you a thanks, as it really clears up the history of the cars..

3. springer99

springer99

Nice work mate !!

4. Nik

Nik

That's cool to to know a lot of the myths I grew up hearing were wrong.

5. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Thanks Guys. If it were not for the help of some of the original movie car owners help I could have never figured a lot of this out. It's dangerous but this makes me want a 55 bad, not a graffiti 55 more along the lines of a Two-Lane 55. I miss my old Rock Crusher! JH

6. Grafitti,
    So the question is the original fifty five in the movie had coil overs and a 427 in American graffiti? What was it supposed to have for the authenticity of the film? there was no 427 in '62, the options would have been a small block or a W motor, correct?

The reason I am asking is that I don't remember what was said in the movie.

By the way as usual I am on my way out the door and I only gave your read a quick skim. maybe later I can read it at length. Your stuff is alwasy well thought out and the most correct info I have seen from what I recall of the movie and the history of the cars.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Richard Ruth is a friend of mine. He told me a story about the '55, right when he got it running.

George Lucas called him, and wanted to see the car he was finishing up...Richard invited him over to the shop.
    George looked the car over, and Richard asked, "Go for a ride?"
    They got in, warmed it up a little, and Richard pulled out on the 4-lane street, around the corner from his shop.
    He lit the tires thru first, second, and was about to grab third...the car was not 'loose', but Lucas was screaming bloody hell. "Stop the car, PLEASE! I'll walk back!"
    Richard promised to drive back slowly, and did.

George said he was convinced he got what they paid for!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Wow! You sure put the time in, collecting all the info on the graffiti cars. Thanks...it fills in a lot of blanks.

A buddy of mine, Doug Stubbs, ended up with the 3rd 55, the roll-over car. It was given to him, minus engine, trans, and front sheet metal, as he was wanting to build a dirt track racer at the time to run at Petaluma Speedway. I contacted Walt Bailey several years ago, to fill him in on what had become of the 3rd 55. For those who think the 3rd 55 could still be out there, having been saved from the crusher, my buddy Doug says it ain't so. If the 3rd 55 has made a comeback, it's in the form of Toyotas or Hondas, as it was definitely uncerimoniously crushed.

Interesting history...
    Craig

9. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Very Nice!! Thanks Craig now I have a name to put with the story. Do you still talk to him??

10. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

See thats odd. I was told Ruth was not even invloved with the cars by the end of Two-Lane Blacktop. The cars went back to Universal Pictures. They bought them for Two-Lane so why would Lucas be at Ruth's shop? He didn't pay for anything?? Some big holes in that story?? ??? ??

11. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Lucas or did you mean Gary Kurtz That would jive. Lucas was a car guy he had raced, he had been in fast cars. Not that fast but I can't immagine George wanting to walk back????

12. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I talk to Doug Stubbs nearly every day. He lived in this area when Graffiti was filmed in Petaluma in 1973, but said he didn't pay much attention to any of it at the time, even though he knew some of the guys whose cars were in the movie.

Petaluma hosts an American Graffiti car show every year, and it's a good one. Some of the cars and stars from the movie often show up, as well as many clones of the cars.
    Craig

13. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Hi Jeff! Great (and exhaustive, in a good way!) update. Couple questions: Has anyone looked at the body tags of the two remaining TLB/AG '55s to see how the cars came from the factory (six or V8, stick or Powerglide, original color and trim, etc.)? And have any other cars from the movie been located besides the ones on your site, like the '55 Studebaker Carol was riding in, Curt's 2CV, Laurie's Edsel, the '60 Caddy sedan that got shaving creamed, or Bobbie Tucker's VW convertible? I know the T-bird's still around. Have you heard from anyone who said their car was an extra in the movie and can back that up?

14. naomi judd owed and owns the silverand white 57 chevy you see cruising around in AG

15. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Mike Famalette,Ken C, Glen S, and Dave D. have tracked down sevral of the other original cars. Most of them show up to the Petaluma show. I am planning on an article in the future. I am collecting information on other cars used in the movie. Most of them are the same owners that were with their cars during filming. Yes they can prove it. As far as vin tags No not that I know of with the history on these cars I don't think they care.

16. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

I have looked and looked?? I can't find it anywhere???:eek:

17. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Very Cool, thanks for the info. I have to be honest though, I prefered the TLB version, and am a little sad to see it get it restored to the graffiti version.

I'm gonna go check the valves.
    The Mechanic

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I always assumed that the 55 would have a new 409 and when I bought the large scale diecast model of the 55, the first thing I did was look at the enging and there's a 409. I guess 55 was suppose to have a mystery motor and the engine is never seen in the movie so I go with the 409.

19. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

The Car used in Two-Lane Blacktop has been restored to movie trim. (actually a bit better) The other car is the only Graffiti 55. It has to go "Back in Black":cool: