Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 Chevy/700R4 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick66, Feb 5, 2012.

1. I've decided to run a 292 Stovebolt Six and a GM 700R4 OD trans in my '46 Hudson. Since I'm leaving the stock Hudson rear under it (4.10 gears), my overall drive ratio will end up being 2.86:1...great for the highway, and still have decent acceleration. The carb on the engine is a propane/gas carb, and came out of a mid-70s Chevy pickup. I thought very briefly about going propane on the car, to be different, but decided against that.

What I want to do is find a decent two-barrel aftermarket intake and headers for this, along with the appropriate carb. Any suggestions for an induction system that will meet true daily driver needs for this combination? The engine itself is going to remain stock for the foreseeable future, so something that works with that will help a bunch.

Thanks in advance.

2. You can find 2-barrel adapters for Offy and Clifford intakes still...those would probably be your best bet for driveability and performance without spending huge chunks of cash.

Exhaust side, I'd recommend langdon's cast manifolds. But headers do show up on EBay and the like from time to time.

Full disclosure: I'm running a stock internal 292 with the stock 3-speed, HEI, Offy with a 4-bbl, and Langdon manifolds. Love it in my '63 Chevy!

3. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

If you're look for something cheap, then TransDapt makes a one-to-two barrel adapter. I used one of these on my 292 and put a Rochester 2G on it.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I may be mistaken in my belief, but it seems to me that feeding a two barrel carb through the stock single barrel manifold either completely defeats, or at least significantly limits, the potential improved flow the two barrel carb offers.

I am interested in this very issue as I have a couple of 292's from which I want to build a good one. My thought, if not fuel injection, would be a four barrel manifold and a small to moderate CFM four barrel carb. It just seems that would offer greater gains throughout the range of operation. Am I missing something here?

Ray

5. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

You are correct, but I am cheap. The one-barrel on it was junk and a new carb/intake was more than I wanted to spend on the build. It runs great with the adapter and 2G. Is it optimal for performance? No. But like I said, I'm cheap. :D

Someday I'd love to put an intake an 500 CFM Edelbrock on it.

6. i have run my '82 292 with '70 head and intake with a one barrel carb off a chevy 235 from the mid '50's for almost 100k miles of daily driving. i remember experimenting with changing jet sizes and cutting power valve springs but it has been so long i can't remember what i did. the carbs that came on the late 60's early 70's sixes were junk!

7. Cool, thanks for the inputs.

8. phat rat

phat rat

PM BobK he runs a 292 in his convert