Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Do All The Corvette's Have In Them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Got beat pretty bad by a pink one huh??? .... bwahahaha!

2. The pink ones are the worst. haha

3. Dennis D

Dennis D

Thanks. Haven't had one since '95 though. I damn sure enjoyed driving and racing them when I had one. The '65 especially. It's a shame people generalize others like they do. I listened to the same kind of crap on the British bike boards about Harley riders. Seems a shame a person couldn't like and have both kinds of bikes. Yes, I had both brands of bikes as well as some vintage Euro and Jap bikes at the time. Dennis D

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some great fun in the answers. True a hell of a lot of Corvettes got wrecked and the engines ended up in other cars. More got stolen and the engines ended up in other cars but here locally the local Chevrolet dealership sold about three Corvettes a year on the average in the 50's, 60's and 70's but in the 60's the parts department sold about three sets of Corvette finned valve covers a week on the average. I installed several sets for friends when I was in autoshop in Highschool. That is also why a guys sees so many Finned Corvette valve covers for sale at swapmeets, the dealership parts counters nation wide probably sold 30 sets of valve covers for every V8 Corvette sold up into the mid 70's.

5. sbin

sbin

Corvette motor might have been something other than a joke before the gm aftermarket grew.
    Now who cares anyone can get a crate motor or build a core motor with much more power and reliability.

6. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

that is exactly what I was thinking...

-W

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

All Chev V8 engines that are in other cars are out of Corvettes.
    Well, they're not in Corvettes, are they.

8. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

the '67 stingray I am building in the shop right now has a 2001 Camaro ls1 in it.

9. Do we really care????

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Actually, I think everyone is refering to "Vette Guy". Not every guy that owns a Vette. "Vette Guy" is the guy who thinks his Vette, is as fast as a F-18, his has "special" trim that only came on 2 other Vettes, his penis is bigger than all others. He wears Vette shoes, belts, pants, shirts and has a key fob with... Vette written on it. He only dates blondes (because they look good in Vettes), his Vette was once used as a test car by Chevy and the dealer let him buy it one the sly (top secret), he goes to hot rod gatherings and opens his hood because NO ONE has ever seen an experimental Vette engine. He drives through wealthy parts of town, so that when he emerges, it looks like he lives in the wealthy part of town (he shares an apartment with a dog named Vette).

Remember that ashoole guy in the Swartznegger movie with the '62 Vette? Yea, that actor is portraying a Vette guy. You are probably not a "Vette Guy".

Attached Files:

11. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Just like 32 fords for being made one year...You would think theres more 31 fords made hah................

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Huh?:confused:

13. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Back then, it was the opposite of how it is today; parts from the Chevy dealership were ususally cheaper than similar parts from Edelbrock, Iskenderian, etc. Corvette valve covers were about half of what a pair of aftermarket aluminum covers went for, as were the '56-'61 style dual point distributors that were standard equipment in the solid lifter small blocks. My older brother bought a Duntov cam and solid lifters for his '62 Chevy in 1969---the cam was $19.00 and the lifters were 96 cents a piece.

The days of "Corvette Guy" were way off in the future then. Even a new 'vette was roughly the same price as a loaded Impala, and within the reach of the average motorhead; my oldest brother's best friend bought a new '69 427 4 speed Corvette on his factory worker's salary. Guys who coveted Corvettes paid the extra money for higher horsepower engines, close ratio four speeds and positraction, not heated mirrors and sound systems that would hold 117 CDs. Having a Corvette engine in your non-vette ride was a status symbol and, if you couldn't find/afford one, you could fake it with a pair of affordable valve covers. As someone already stated, there seem to be more hipo 'vettes now than there were in 1966. In reality, the majority of '60s Corvettes came through with the same 250 or 300 hp 327s that you could order in your mom's full size station wagon. A kid that attends a car show today will walk away from it thinking that every Corvette came with the hottest engine option available that year, that every GTO was a tripower/4 speed/3.90 posi car, and that the only choice to make when ordering your '62 Impala was whether you wanted your 409 to have one AFB or two.

15. fish3495

fish3495

Remember that ashoole guy in the Swartznegger movie with the '62 Vette? Yea, that actor is portraying a Vette guy. You are probably not a "Vette Guy".[/QUOTE]

He said that Jamie Lee Curtis had and ass like a 10 year old boy.

16. Boy this must really have been true, back in the day. In 2007, I was visiting my folks in Arizona, where they were wintering. My dad is not a 'car guy', but does know year & models pretty well. My dad, uncle and I went to a car show south of Mesa, and my dad asked a number of guys, in so many words 'what did your motor come out of?'. We came across a guy (about the same age as my dad) with a fresh black '55 Chev 2dr post with a motor out of an early 90's Corvette. I could tell my dad was impressed, and he talked to that guy alot longer than he spoke to anyone else. I'm not ragging on my dad. I learned something about what he thought about hot, modified cars, that day. I learned that a motor out of a Corvette was important to my dad for making a hot rod, street rod, etc. I was having more fun watching my dad and uncle at that show than the cars.

17. Drive Em, just the title of this thread made me chuckle!

When folks ask about my 54 I just tell them itsa smallblock. No need to candy coat it.

Our diesel mechanic (who is not a car guy) just redid his 74ish Vette. BB car that he put a smallblock in (don't worry the BBC is in a pals 40 Willys ;)). His sone who is also our mechanic got in a little with a pissin match with a Trans Am, the clincher is the kid with the later model TA was bragging about his CORVETTE MOTOR in his TA. There is some subtle irony right there.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have a feeling that a lot of people bought vetts that didnt know how to drive them, so they got wrecked and the engine is all thats left of it, so they got parted out, and guys that built hot rods knew what they were looking for (able to run the numbers and know what to look for)

the others that "say" its vette engine with out proof, wouldnt know one if it jumped out of the hood and bit em on the ass

I met a guy that runs a shop that works on most of the newer vetts (the ones with aluminum frames) he says more novis drivers wrack those cars up than anything he's ever heard of..( he is one of the very few shops licenced to repair the aluminum frames once they are wrecked)

19. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

My car has an engine not out of a vette but a Nova!:D The original 275 horse 327 is waiting for rebuild. It is a #'s matching factory installed holley carb. LMAO every time someone says "They never had holley" then I show them the optional carb part # in the assembly manual. I'm sure no one gives a darn about me or my car but it is fun to drive and know my father inlaw bought it in 68. :cool:

20. Hello my name is Randy (not SAM dummy) and I own a OT vette. ... and a chevy OT Muscle car .... and a OT eurotrash 4-door ... and, of course my traditional totally bitchen 59 sedan delivery .... and I love them all, is that wrong of me???

There I said it.

21. Dennis D

Dennis D

Remember that ashoole guy in the Swartznegger movie with the '62 Vette? Yea, that actor is portrayinga a Vette guy. You are probably not a "Vette Guy".

No, never been him with any of my toys. I do confess to have been a numbers match and finish on parts guy though. I found that the nicer and more factory correct I made my '65, the less I would drive it. Always worried about something happening to it, especially after having the '66 I had at one time stolen. This part of me makes it hard to build my coupe. I find myself wanting to make it "like the factory" and I have to force myself into doing it how I like it. It's glass car and it will never be "like the factory" so I have to keep telling myself it's ok to modify it. I know if I had a Henry deuce I would be afraid to drive it all the time for fear of it getting hit or stolen. I can fix/replace the glass car, hard to do with real steel. I am getting close to retirement and intend to drive the crap out of the one I am building. It will be my daily! Dennis D

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No. And thanks for not calling everybody rude.

23. i once put a vette motor in a vette( a 1964 365hp in a '60)

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I always thought corvettes had nice looking ladies in them,

25. Too right! my brother used to say the difference between a cactus and a Vette is the cactus has pricks on the outside (except 1st gens).

26. Deuces

Deuces

Ummmm......... I care!... :mad:

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Googling your information produced this, which was interesting reading!

http://reocities.com/MotorCity/downs/3000/matchnos.html

28. Deuces

Deuces

I like that "True Lies" movie..... ;)
    One of my favs!! :D:cool:

29. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Ok, let's get technical! Of the 10,000+ 1932 Fords that exist that Henry didn't build, all of those came standard with corvette engines. There, that answers all the questions!

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I was just thinking about this very thing today. We went to a car show today and while I was looking at a nice 64 Impala with a 327 in it I remembered the 64 Impala convertible I had in 65. It was a 283 but the first thing I did was go to the local Chevy dealer and buy a new set of valve covers with 327 on them, then I bought a four barrel intake and carb, and topped it off with dual exhaust and 327 flags on the side.

Yep, I was a poser, but when you are making a buck an hour it was all I could afford. :p If I wanted to really lie I could have sprung for the $ 17 finned Vette covers. :cool:

Don