Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do i need 46 ford disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rokhound, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Rokhound

Rokhound
    from iowa

yes this is a newbie question but what do i need to mount disc brakes to a 46 ford car axle. I no order the kit from speedway yeah got that. But here is the down fall when i bought the axle it came spindles and new 5 lug rotors(5 on 4.5) that i was told that was for a mustang. So i have some parts and dont no what else i need.

o and a huge thanks to Oliver for the sale on the front axle.

searching i did find the front bracket i need.
    http://streetrodfab.com/index.php?p...category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

So what bearings and what not do i need to finish up the instillation.

2. Rokhound

Rokhound
    from iowa

ok so now i am really confused over my corn flakes???!!!???

So some more digging and like 3hrs on searching on the net and searching THE H.A.M.B i think i have this down but i dont no i hope some one on here can point me in the right direction.

Ok first off i think i figured out what rotors came with my axle i was told it was a mustang 2 rotor ok not an issue there found out i think its a 1974-1980 pinto, bobcat, mustang 2 rotors 5 on 4 1/2 good matches my ford 9" that i am running in the back.

Ok now here comes the part i need help on form someone here to explain this to me because its as clear as mud to me right now.

Ok if you click on this it takes you to speedways diagram of how to install there disc brake kit cool got that.

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/910-31945.pdf

but the part i dont understand is note #3: Remove the inner bearing race from your rotor and replace it with the bearing race (#5) supplied in the kit

ok now with my rotors i went to the part place and got 2 bearings 1 for the front and 1 for the back they fit inside great just like they should so why would they (speedway) want you to remove the bearing race just to put one back in??

ok now to some pics as this could and might as well turn into a right up of what parts and what not your going to need as i never found one. well i guess that's not 100% true as i did find this thread and it helped a bunch.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-377418.html

ok so now on to some pics and see if i can get this figured out.

ok back of the rotor, duh

[​IMG]

bearing # for the back that i am using is L68111

now see how it already has the race in it so why take it out plus in this pic you can see it fits like it should.

[​IMG]

now to the front. on this instructions it show that you should install this once again my rotors have the race already in it?? Pic of the bearing in the hub fits like it should.

part # LM11949/LM11910 this is the set bearing and race

[​IMG]

so there is what i have come up with so now all i need is the brake brackets and bearing adapter and the grease seal and i should be good to go.

Long read for really nothing but hopefully its right and well help some one else out.

So i guess the real question is there any reason this should not work??? And is there any one on here that sells the brake bracket, and the bearing adapter besides speedway?? Well anyway that's what i got.

any more info would be great

thanks Rok

3. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Question did you purchase the brake kit or are you just reading the instructions for reference?

Low buck brake kits like the instruction sheet use 11" rotors, Mustang are 9" rotors so the parts are not compatible.

Low buck brake kits usually require an interchange of the inner hub bearing sometimes this is done by adding a sleeve spacer to the spindle, some done by exchanging the interior bearing race. This depends upon the kit, which did you purchase?

4. Rokhound

Rokhound
    from iowa

no i did not buy a kit trying to piece it together. I need to measure the rotors as they could be 11's and yeah i am using the instructions for reference. should of just bought the kit i guess but hey if i ever need to rebuild or it or replace any part in the front end i will no what i need.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The brake kits for 37-48 Ford spindles using the 4.5" bolt circle commonly use a Chrysler product rotor (Volare, Diplomat, etc), not a Ford rotor. On those they use the stock bearings, along with a bearing spacer.

6. You just caught me at the right time and I said yes! Glad your happy!!