Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's wrong with my roadster's proportions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky77, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Well one way to test your body location measurements would be to hang the long rear bumper bracket back in place and see if it matches the two small bolt holes in the rear body rail . Thats the rail that holds the spare wheel bracket. Plus hood fitment ofcourse.

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

If you're going to fit that Flattie in there, you're probably going to have to move the rad forward 1-1/2" or reverse the firewall.

If the rear tire is centered in the wheel opening, then try moving the rad & see if that balances things in your mind.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I agree with this....

4. F&J

F&J

x2, put it outside if you can. Then take a few pics.

Looks like a nice original body, so I can't see how you had it bolted too far off....unless iit had no subrails before.

5. I would measure a roadster that looks good to your eye and compare it your rod, my .02

6. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

The body sitting high makes it look "stubby and chubby" to me.

7. Lucky77

Lucky77

Okay, here's some pre-apron bobbing pictures so you can see that the body is in the correct spot. In the side profile picture it does look like the rear wheel is too far back but it's a perspective thing. I just did a frame height step in the rear and the spring is sitting directly on top of the rear axle, it is centered in the wheel well. Oldcarfart nailed it, the car looks stubby and chubby. The bigger front tire thing may be the answer.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

A full hood will fix things, that and a 2 inch drop front and rear. I like to see the top of the rear tire just below the wheel house bead. Nice looking car. Bob

9. Front tires for sure.

10. Is that a '42-'48 rear? Maybe the rear wheels are too far out and away from the body. Could throw the
    perception off a little. I think the picture with the hood and stock aprons looks OK. Just saying.

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

im no expert but taller tires in front should put it back lookin right. sure dont look like you got much room for a engine in that hole.lol

12. 41 C28

41 C28

Thats the first thing that I saw.

13. Bilt

Bilt

I like the look of it. Stubby and chubby for sure but it looks awesome. Not a cookie cutter car!!!

14. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Looks a bit "short" to me with the aprons adding "weight" to the center of the vehicle visually. Maybe lengthen the front end to stretch the look a bit????

15. Can you throw the fenders back on to see where it's "out"?

Part of it for me is the transition from the curve of the rear wheel arch to the vertical rear edge of the splash apron - makes a somewhat abrupt halt to the flow of the arch.

Steve

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

For the "hood's too short contingent, it'd be interesting to get a measurement (from the rear of the grill shell to the firewall) of Cactus1's incredible ride compared to yours. It does look a tad short to fit anything other than a four-banger. Then again, it could be an illusion. I think the rear wheel thing is an illusion of the camera angle. Really, I like it.

17. To clarify, the pic I posted is not mine. It is one I drool over frequently! I believe it is/was "Loudpedal's" car.

18. Blackie

Blackie

That wheelsbase in the drawing is stretched to 106" rather than an A's 103"

19. Anderson

Anderson

Get some factory skirts and bolt them back on in the stock location. I don't mind the look at all, kind like it actually...but to me the reason they were ever left on (back when) is because it was easier to pull the fender alone and just leave the skirts. I imagine if anyone thought of improving the look of the car, they would have just removed then instead of modifying them or moving them around. Snoochie boochies!

20. jimbo121

jimbo121

This is what I was saying before. Looking at the pic showing the rear quarter, that axle does look quite wide, ie the wheels stick out quite a way from the body which may cause the illusion the wheel is not centred in the arch. Looking good though, and I like the tudor too.

21. charlieb66

charlieb66

Measure from the "front" of the front cross member to the body bolt at the firewall, should measure 32". Wheelbase should be 103.5". Anything different an something is wrong. BTW the Wescott site has a detailed drawing for the Model A frame.

22. iamben

iamben

I agree with the37kid. There should always be a hood on an A grille when its on an A frame. It looks more "right" to me. As far as the rear wheel goes take a straight on of the rear wheel so it will show your true wheel position. It looks like all of the picks are at an angle so its hard to tell where it is sitting in all of the pics you posted. Very sweet looking ride!!!

23. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Nice build.

Whats the measurement between the grill schell and the firewall, it looks short.
    I'm sure if you tried to drop a motor in it, it would tell you real fast.

Once the motor is end Im sure it will lower the front an inch or so to give it a nice rake.
    The body line for the rear fenders dosen't match the rear wheel either maybe move the body back a bit and it would correct both issues.

MrC.

24. Looks Good to me!

25. Lucky77

Lucky77

Thanks for all the ideas guys. It is a 1938 rear axle not a 42-48. I will check the wheelbase when I get home but it should be pretty close to stock. Like I said, all I did was step the rear the height of the frame. I think I have a 6.00X16 wheel mounted up at home and I will throw it on the front to see what it looks like. This weekend I'm going to try to drop the ass end a little and see what it looks like with a bigger front tire.

If you guys still don't believe me here's a shot of the car with the body bolted on, full hood, grille shell, and the flattie from Autorama Detroit 2010:D

Attached Files:

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

SCOTT !!!,.... SNAP OUT OF IT !!!!!

(slapping you twice to bring you back to your senses :eek:,.. and a couple more times just for fun :D:D )

Your back in Michigan,... people don't wait on you here, they don't bring you pink drinks with little umbrellas in them,.. or towels,.. your not in the tropics anymore !,..... Here's what you need to do,.... Now,..Listen to me very carefully......

Stand where you were when you snapped this picture.
    [​IMG]

Are you still with me Lad ?!?!?!?!
    Take one step to your left,... so your looking across the firewall,... and stand up a little more so your looking across the tops of both doors.... (DO you understand what I am saying to you ?!?!?!:rolleyes: :D:D:D). Now take the picture,.....

And take one more so your looking across the top of the doors,... with the rear tire centered in the wheel well,.... and post.

I know this time can be difficult,... But soon the memory of sunsets, tropical breezes,... and the sound of steel drums will fade from your memory and you will be back to normal. (well,.as normal as you can be, anyway :cool:) There is nothing wrong with the proportion of your roadster,.... just the way your looking at it.

I hope this helps,... but if it doesn't,.. I would be glad to slap you a few more times. :D

27. If these are the same car, and I believe that they are, and nothing has been moved around besides the apron (?) , it looks like camera lens trickery like a fun house mirror. Same camera ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The outside pic even looks a little fat and heavy in the middle, like a fish eye lenses or wide angle.
    The garage pic looks like there is no way a hood will fit, but there it is in the ouside pic.

Does it look off in person too? Try a different camera.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  28. Lucky77

Lucky77

I just spent a week of R & R in Cozumel if anyone is baffled by what Mr Harms Way is talking about :D. I will try to get out there and take some pics like he suggested. The garage pic was taken with my iphone 4S, the outdoors pic was taken with a cheap digital camera. Look at the pic from Autorama, the hood does fit. The garage pic is just some kind of weird illusion.

29. The garage pic, or Wierd illusion is whats wrong then. Not the proportions of your car. I bet your car looks great in person. Maybe a tad high in the back or a couple inch taller tire back there to get an inch closer to the arch. Do you have vern's book?

30. Lucky77

Lucky77

Yeah, I pretty much built the car with that book in hand. I think where I screwed up is by using the exact same size tires that Mike's roaster has on a car like mine that's styled a lot differently.