Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another barn car 3W..sat over 1/2 century

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mecutem, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

That is the 1937 Dictator. In '38 they changed the name to Commander because "Dictator" seemed to always be in the news and refer to that nasty fellow in Germany.

That car is my dream car. Look at the style. Damn lucky kid. You should get him on the HAMB so we can ruin him. :D

2. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Steve,
    I have a similar orphan car that does run=(34 Hupp 3W)
    Same color infact. The car is cool.Great lines, I can't wait to see what goes on with this Stude! Tell him to keep it as long as he possibly can-(just like grandpa) someday he may be able to give it to his grandson one day.
    The info suggested is very well provided. SDC will be a great source of information as well a parts sources

3. That's nice, I was pondering a pair of them at a swap meet for $12k one was
    salvegable and the other was junk.

4. warbozz

warbozz

First they gave them a bath in acid to get the grease/grime/rust/carbon off, then they cut off the side electrode and welded a new one on. Oila! One almost new spark plug. Civilians couldn't get new plugs during WWII so a few enterprising people started factories to do rebuilding.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...suckered me in with the title, din'cha?...:p I do like the car

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ahhhh, another Stude saved...nice one...

They do make very kool old sleds...to wit:

R-
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. Amazing, I just love stories like this, cool find!

Get that kid on here, let him in on what he is missing! And keep us updated....

8. wow how cool-i inherited my grandfathers 53 f250 truck he bought new in 53 sat in his barn since 1984 i just got it when he died in july,but him and i start bringing her back to life last summer,iput 200 miles on it since july. has a flatty 8 4 spd,all i added was glass packs and strait pipes-and my truck will NEVER be for sale

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

10. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

My (x)-father-in-law has one.
    It was *almost* mine........

[​IMG]

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe it is a Dictator coupe. For obvious reasons this name went away in 39 or so with all the crap going on in Europe. If the dash is stock you should post some pics of it, probably the best example of art deco design in the business. Lots of similarities to the Coupe Express pickup of the same era. Studebaker made some great looking cars during the late 30's and early 40's.

Check the Studebaker Drivers Club for parts resources.

And here is a link you may find helpful;

http://www.studebakerswap.com/swap/showads.php

12. jetmek

jetmek

yes the studebakers drivers club mag TURNING WHEELS is an excellent reference for parts vendors. also the all stude swap in york pa. is where i found a lot of nos stuff for my 53...

13. jetmek

jetmek

who's that old coot sitin next to it? big bad bob?

14. mecutem

mecutem

Its been a few years but the ole stude lives again. Still much assembly but the shiney stuff is on. I thought I should post update pics for those of us who like to a see a derelict 75 year old car become good as new once again.

Attached Files:

15. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes That is a Dictator coupe! Word to the wise! Studebaker Club very good for parts & they will want you to join & its worth it! They also have a Journal you can post pics & ask questions & ask for parts! They will never help you if you say you are doing anything to car but returning it to stock!!! Again the best source for these cars! I have a 3 window 1934 Dictator Coupe That has been off the road since 1954 We call it the 34 DICK! Studes get a ton of attention & very very cool cars! Their body lines are unreal! Good Luck & great rare car! I have been looking for a 37 Dick Coupe for over 15 years! Tell your customer he is a very lucky man! Heres a few pics of 34 Dicks if you have never seen one! I'm having same problem I want to cut it up! hard to do on such a rare car! But I remember the first Rocky movie " Cut Me Mick" I like those words! Tks for showing the Dick! Bill

Attached Files:

16. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

And how. The back window has a certain funkiness going on but it kind of grows on me.

17. Wesley

Wesley

SWEET! awesome work. keep us updated as progress continues.

18. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

my dads 37 dictator looks very similar except it a 4 door. unfortunatly she burned pretty bad inside his shop just before christmas.

he is trying to restore after the fire, but parts are non exsistant.

completly destroyed interior, but lucky all the sheet metal survived.

Attached Files:

• tn.jpg
      tn.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
    • tn 2.jpg
      tn 2.jpg
      File size:
      3.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Try here for parts and information. Antique Automobile Club of America forum...http://forums.aaca.org/f126/

Actually, the coupe express is this...

Attached Files:

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think the 37 3W coupe shares the body with the 36. I had a 36 Studebaker 3W coupe project once upon a time. It was a 6cylinder originally and had a Planar crosspring suspension which had a deformed spring, common for this style of suspension. The triangular rear window opened as well. It looks like the 37 didn't.

21. Nighthawk756

Nighthawk756

The lines on that stude are amazing! For the first split second seeing the rear, I think hmmm, that's strange looking but just as quick I get that warm and fuzzy feeling. The rear lines/window and the front fenders are just....well....beautiful!;)

22. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

they had a couple cold ones a friday oops its upside down ahhh scew it its alreddy welded in !:rolleyes:

23. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Actually parts are not that hard to find.Between the Antique Studebaker Club and the Studebaker Drivers Club most anything you want is around.There are still a few in the junkyards around here good for knickknacks and such.

24. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for keeping us updated. Looks like he decided to go Hot Rod instead of Kustom?

25. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

thanks for the update,really like the color

26. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

that is one really special car. wow!

27. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I love the side view of tht car! I think the back should go up just an inch or two. Love me a raked car!

28. redroaddog

redroaddog

what a cool car!!! i thinkin mild custom.....270 jimmy:cool:

29. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

[​IMG]

Looks awesome man. I can't help but wonder what it would look like with some of the deck/quarter area sectioned, maybe two inches. And the rear window flipped.