Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Ford F1 Build S10 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eghatch15, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mlagusis

mlagusis

I looked at F-1 with a 65-66 Buick front clip, motor /trans and rear end and it looked like it fit pretty good.

2. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

On my 48 F1, I'm using a Jag XJ6 front subframe, with an explorer rear axle on leaf springs. It was easy to do and pretty cheap. Plus, the body fits back on the frame. You could do this swap without pulling the truck completly apart, but it looks like you have already. Search jag ifs on this board, there's a build thread going for an F100. Check out ford-trucks dot com, the 48-56 section. Several of us over there have done this swap.

3. Robza

Robza

As the old saying goes "Just because you can doesn't mean you should" ;)

It's your truck so do what you want but save yourself the head ache and keep the original frame and put a Jag front end in it. It's been done a million times and Hot Rod builders swear by it - why? - because it works!.

It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll get your truck on the road quicker so you can enjoy it. :)

4. ill chime in again and say these guys are right man, you will totally spend more in the long run

5. MonteSS

MonteSS

Nice history. Good luck with the build.

6. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Got the cab set up on the frame
    [​IMG]
    Looks Good
    [​IMG]
    2010 CTS-V wheel
    [​IMG]

7. studebaker46

studebaker46

if the s-10 is done right it is as good as any thing else the guys telling you to clip probaly have never done either one a clip is the easist to screw up you really need a long bed s-10 and right in the middle is a welded joint grind that loose and adjust it either way longer or shorter wheelbase. the front end is the same as late 70 to early 80s malibu do it the way you want to. tom

okndnx likes this.
  8. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

thanks studebaker46.

9. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

please tell me those are not the rims you are going with?

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

11. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Hey man, I'm digging the truck. I always wanted to do a s10 frame swap. I was going to do it on my 52 merc. I ended up just doing the front clip because the s10 frame kicked up too high and id loose me back seat. Build your truck the way you want. Looking forward to updates

Ryan

12. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Got alittle work done over the holidays
    [​IMG]
    Had to cut 5"s out from inner fender and it dropped down and looks great
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to figure out if I want to do a tilt front clip or not. Any ideas on how to do a tilt front clip.

13. Bitchin story about your granpa and you getting the truck!
    S-10 frame swap works well on these trucks. Clark and co has done a few of em with great results.
    I wouldnt do a flip front, your asking for chips galore in your paint... and theyre hokey

-Shiny

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

sigh...

Yes. Huge.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would put 15 x 10 slot mags all around with some fat tires. I love my 1993 GMC "S-10"... those trucks are a good platform and they made them forever so parts are all over the place.

16. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Thanks 29EHV8 and 49ratfink it has been a fun project so far. Im excited to drive it out for the 1st time.

17. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

29EHV8 who is clark and co. I have never heard of them and do they have a web site.

18. charger

charger
    from manitoba

19. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

.... A reboddied mini truck is still a mini truck!

sko_ford likes this.
  20. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

I havent been able to work on the truck. Me and my wife just had a new baby boy. I will get started on it again in the next couple weeks.

21. 52lomofo

52lomofo

need more pics

22. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

That's hilarious.

23. ...on the other hand, here's a pic of a buddy's S-10 framed F-1.
    [​IMG]

okndnx likes this.
  24. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

25. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

Cool photos, I have a 48 f-1 with a jag. Let me know if I can help with any info. Mine still needs tons of work cause I'm lazy... Anyway good luck with yours.

26. mixmaster-meat-wad

mixmaster-meat-wad

Congrats dude on builder YOUR truck YOUR way to make it YOURS and make YOU happy. Its looking great so far.

I got a F1 with a heidts mustank II IFS, 71 ford 9'' rear, sbc 350, stock frame.

By the time I installed my new IFS, modifying my rear end to pull my gas tank and install an aluminum one behind the rear end, installed new longer hanger straps to flip my rear end, intalling trans and engine mounts, boxing the frame rails.... what is really left stock on the stock frame? The frame rails and 2 cross members I think is all. Hell I think you did good bud. Unless its a more stock truck without a ton of mods I think you did good.

27. eghatch15

eghatch15
    from NC

Rusty 1 your buddys truck looks great. Do you have any build pics of it.

28. rrayne

rrayne

i see you guys posting about dont put the s-10 frame, i see eghatch say he is going to anyway. it see you guys type how good it looks, etc... but i cant see the damn pics that i assume he is posting. eghatch15 is posting pics right? WTF i need to see this truck. lol. seriously i want to see it. 49 ford, s-10 frame, 2010 caddy wheels. LET ME SEE IT!

29. Sorry, I don't have any build pics and doubt the owner does; but he said it went together real nicely without any major concerns. He knows what he's doin and all his builds are very nicely done. He drives this one everyday.

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sounds coool...wonder if I should put my F-1 on a Datsun frame?

NAAAAAHHH!

Hmmph. Ryan gets the site fixed and the kids are rolling Jap & Chevy stuff under F-1s.

Worked on a Chevy S-10 a few years ago. Couldn't imagine anybody paying someone to own that thing, worse yet being seen in it.
    Then, when it told him in Chevytalk it was through, the nimrod paid me to fix it!

I wore a mask on the road test... If it had an F-1 body on it, nobody'd know what it was.

But I would.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012