Register now to get rid of these ads!

Column drop ideas, help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well, I had to cut the original column drop off the Nash and I didn't like it anyway. The column is the old 1 1/2" tube. The shifter is on the floor, so no problems with that being on the column. Want to keep the original Nash banjo that I picked up.

I'm looking for ideas to fabricate a drop, will probably be 2-3". Do not want to use a chunk of aluminum! There are some expensive ones out there on the market, not interested in those and the ones on Speedway look streetrodish...

What do you got?

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

connecting rods from motorcycle? formed into V.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

model a connecting rod---modified of course! Gary

4. Fuel rod (connecting rod), you can usually find them from a thrashed engine cheap.

With a standard colum you use the big end and bust to suit on just an open shaft you use the small end with a bushing in it to fit it to the shaft. Make a coupls of tabe for a botl to go though cut the drop to length and drill it for a bolt to pass though the tabs and the drop it self aligns that way.

5. Testicle cuffs welded together,

Wait wat?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut out of a chunk of aluminum works if you paint it to match the dash.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

For the afternoon crowd...

8. I used a Ford Yblock connecting rod. The big end fit the column diameter good.

9. Energy

Energy

Can you use the base/mounting stalk from a taillight? Like 25-31 ford? If you had an extra taillight base from your nash that would be cool, if long enough! 2 together or with a spacer?

oarlock from a rowboat (maybe even in brass)?

:confused:

10. :)What I have used on my last two cars was the connecting rods from the engine on a refer trailer. If you can find someone who is a truck mechanic to grab one for you, the crank end is the perfect inside diameter for around an 1 1/2 inch column. I cut the pin end off just shy of the rod beam so you have a bit of a flare and weld flat stock on to mount to dash. I had the one on my Ford powder coated that shiney silver color so it "looked" like chrome.( Im a CHEAPSKATE) I think I ended up with about a 3 1/2 inch drop from the dash to the center of the column, worked out good . I am building another one for my Chevy truck right now. I have included photos of the one in the Ford and the one in progress for my Chevy. Mitch.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. I kinda like the 50 chevy car unit...used one in my old 50 chev delivery with a chevy van column.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I have no idea what a refer engine is, but it looks great!

13. L7

L7

14. Stevie, it is the small engine that powers the refrigeration unit on tractor trailers. My buddy is a diesel mechanic at a trucking company and I got them from him. I dont know the manufacturer of the engine but if I talk to him I will ask. Mitch.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Thanks Mitch. I have some old flathead connecting rods, but they are too big.

16. Stevie, I believe that it was a THERMO-KING refer unit that the rods came out of. You possibly could GOOGLE and find the engine that has the proper crank end size and call some trucking outfits in your area to see if they have any that they are scrapping out. Its my understanding that these units get worked pretty hard and get rebuilt regularly so parts may be readily available. Mitch.

17. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

18. No he said refer trailer, that's a trailer that hauls pot. Normally seen on Sonoma County Calif.:D

He is talking about the little engine that runes the refrigeration unit for a refrigerated trailer.

19. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

mines an old con rod but yeah even though i hacked off the end and machined a new upper half its a little on the street rod side , pollished it out and put my signal indicators in it and turned a post on the lathe to attach the tach

Attached Files:

• r3.jpg
      r3.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
    • r4.jpg
      r4.jpg
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
    • r5.jpg
      r5.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • r6.jpg
      r6.jpg
      File size:
      50.6 KB
      Views:
  20. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks great but unfortunately my column is only 1 1/2", not the newer column widths...

21. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I found a nickel plated '35-'36 MOPAR 1½" column drop (its about a 3" drop) on ebay for $20.00, and fabbed a cover to hide the bracket and mount the ignition switch.

Attached Files:

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

About as Plain/Jane as you can get, but cheap, adjustable in three dimensions & able to withstand a nuclear blast. All of it was made with scrap steel, a piece of threaded rod, some nuts & a muffler clamp. Still, I do dig the more fanciful things.

[​IMG]