Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Cadillac 4 speed auto trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LWT, Jan 27, 2012.

1. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Hi all,
    I have a '59 Caddy I'm workin' on. I don't know anything about the stock trans. I did a search & didn't find any info on them. I'm going thru the whole car top to bottom & plan to use the 390 ( built up a bit ) with the original trans. but I've never dealt with one of these & I don't know if it has a converter like the powerglides & Turbo 350-400's that I'm used to or what the gear ratios are, how strong etc.
    Any words of wisdom?

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

as long as it's good, it's good. rebuilds are spendy--enough so that you can convert to a 700r4 for the same money and have a lot easier access to repair parts. PM me your info and I'll photocopy the tranny secion from my chilton's manual for you.

3. GaryM

GaryM

4. Nick

Nick

The input shaft breaks real easy if your doing hole shots. The tranny was made for smooth unnoticeable shifting not performance. Like it was said if it works great if not go 700r4.

5. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

Thanks guys.

6. D-Day

D-Day
    from NW Ohio

A Dual-Coupling Hydramatic that doesn't leak? Wow. Buy a lottery ticket...

Gotta fix that in mine soon; may as well just rebuild the whole thing while I'm at it. Keep us updated.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's a 2 coupling hydromatic used from 56-63. If it's in good shape and you dont abuse it, it should be allright