Register now to get rid of these ads!

What year and size mustang tank is this? Also where to buy sending unit and filler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I aquired this yank a while ago and I am planning on using it in my 1951 chevy hardtop. Im tired of the P.O.S. fuel cell it has in the trunk.

Attached Files:

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Looks to be a 65-68. It's an original because it still has the drain plug. Dearborn Classics,NPD,Tony Branda or Mustangs unlimited will have your parts. I also got a sending unit from Autozone last year. They have a rare parts division and it was in stock. About 50.00 I think.

3. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

that looks alot like a 67 68 mustang. you might try mustang unlimited, or yearone.

4. dcwest32

dcwest32

National Parts Depot catalog can be a great source of info and new ones are reasonable if contents are in doubt, may be cheaper to buy new than clean and take chance on old interior,,,hope this helps

5. I was actually contemplating on buying a new tank on ebay. It comes with sending unit and all that. Im just not sure was size and year to get for my 51.

6. Willy301

Willy301

That also looks identical to my 63 Falcon tank. Probably a little larger if it came out of a mustang though. I got a tank with sender from a place in New England area, nice tank and all. You can get sending units to match most gauge Ohm requirements from Jegs too. If your running aftermarket gauges, I have used that one from them with good success.

7. Yes I plan on running some nice white faced aftermsrket gauges in the stock dash.

8. FWIW, When I built my 50 Chevy I used a Mustang tank. The best price for a non overseas made tank was Kentuckey Mustang. Came with a sending unit too. Todd

9. George

George

Go to the store & look in the Mustang magazines for vendors, there's a bunch of them to compare prices with.

10. Bob's Mustang parts

11. i used a mustang tank on a 57 chev pu with stock gauges so a chev sending unit was attached to the mustang pick up to get the proper reading

12. 65-67 tanks are 18gallons 68-69 are 19 galls 70's are 20gals the only difference between all of them is the space above the crimp seam any ford parts house that has mustang parts can get you the sender

for my gf's 69 we bought a 70 tank, sender,and filltube hose for 110.00 acouple of years ago i think we got it from kentucky mustang

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you look at the filler necks on the separate page where they are listed, there are larger images. If you look at the hole at the flanged end, you will see that it has two notches in the lip. That is what retains the cap.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Filler-Tubes/

The "regular" Mustang and Shelby caps are large, and look elaborate, but, it you turn them over, you will see that they appear to be nothing more than a standard 1/4 turn gas cap, which can be had at most auto parts stores.

You can buy rubber fuel neck hose, and use exhaust tubing to move the filler neck to where it works best for you.

15. Am I the only guy who knows they repop 49-54 Chevy tanks and they only cost about $200 a shot, bolt right on and the filler's in the right place? You can even buy them in steel or plastic, and in versions with baffles and senders for fuel injection. What's the advantage to using this one? Unless your trunk floor is shot anyways -

16. If the car wasnt soo low and if the fuel door wasnt shaved off...Then I would have concidered it,

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The advantage is fill from the trunk w/out any welding/relocating on the stock gas neck.
    This is for guys that like shaved everything look i suppose.

I bought mine from CJMustangs for 125$ all included (sendin unit, bolts, gaskets, rubber neck....) it has a drain plug too.
    I suggest the 64/67, 18gallons is a lot of fuel. its also very short, so if you plan to bag it and you bolt it to the stock floor w/out rising it it will not scrape.

I suggest buiding a frame to mount it thou, not boltin it straight to the floor.

18. Ok....sounds like I found the tank. Thanks bonez

19. I filled my door too. I used a short filler neck fom TANKS inc. and vented it to the outside. Clean and simple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tugmaster, can you post a picture of which one you bought from them? Also you dont have a spare tire? Are you going to fill it in?

21. mustangs unlimited, 70 mach one tank, 24 gal, sending unit neck hose included, 129.00 plu tax. used one in my 48 f-1 and converted the stock gauges to 12 volt and the gas gauge works perfect.

22. Ok heres the thing.....I see the mustang tanks go for under $100 on ebay all day with sending units. But I dont want a tall tank because this car sits low. Also im in california and dont want a huge shipping charge. I also like the filler neck on tugmasters tank in his chevy.

23. Those cheap ones are probably made overseas. The one I bought from Kentukey mustang was made in Canada. Much better quality. The one I got was 65-66 (I think) and was not to tall. Todd

24. Are there any US made tanks?

25. At the risk of being run out of this place on a rail, I'll admit that I work at a Mustang parts wholesaler. lol!:) Unfortunately unless you buy a handmade tank or fuel cell, your choices for a Mustang fuel tank are from SPI (Spectra Premium) out of Canada or a tank that is stamped out in Tiawan. Actually both are pretty nice pieces and we sell a lot of both. If I were going to use one in my car, I would probably go with the SPI version. That tank looks galvanized where as the one from overseas just has a dull grey finish to it. To be honest though, we haven't had any problems out of either one. They are all over the internet for very cheap. A tip though is to try and find one close to where you live as the new UPS/Fed Ex shipping rates will eat you alive. Ok so after I wrote this, I just remembered another option. You can now get these tanks in stainless steel as well. We don't sell them (nobody wants to pay the extra price) so I haven't seen one in person but I believe they are stamped out in Tiawan as well. Anyway, I hope this helps somewhat in your decision....

26. I am still trying to find a tank,sending unit and filler here in caifornia.

27. You have an early Mustang 16 gallon tank. I installed one my 51 Chevy as well.
    I made the trip to Ventura to NPD and bought the tank and sending unit. Look them up.

These guys are a bit closer.There prices are a bit more than NPD but they have what you are looking for.
    Mustang Classic Auto Supply
    8719 Passons Boulevard, Pico Rivera, CA 90660-5519
    (562) 949-5193 ‎

Frank

28. Thanks frank. I am also thinking about putting one in my 56 ford 2dr sedan aswell.