Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Ron Lincoln Song

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 08racer, Jan 13, 2009.

1. pair of deuces

pair of deuces
    from western WA

I would seriously like to contact the current owner of this car concerning an upcoming major event and the possibility of having it there. Can you help make that happen?

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how I remember the story as it was told by Charlie Ryan to one of the mags years ago.

When Charlie Ryan was young, he drove a V12 Lincoln. He and his band-members did a lot of traveling from town to town to play their music. Charlie drove fast. So fast in fact, that a couple of the lines of the song were originally uttered by his fellow musical artists, while riding as a passenger. Something along the lines of, "Jeez Charlie...the lines on the road look like dots!" And/or, "The telephone poles look like a picket fence!" Anyway, Charlie eventually crashed that Lincoln, and screwed the body up real good. His dad owned a junkyard, so Charlie took the crumpled Lincoln body off the frame, shortened the chassis, and set a Model A coupe body on it.

Many years later, a group of hot rodders who were some of the few that knew of the car, and the fact that Charlie still owned it, approached Mr. Ryan about possibly restoring the car for him. Charlie and his wife were a bit apprehensive at first, not sure of the intentions of these guys. However, it didn't take long for them to realize that these gearheads had the car's best interests at heart...only wanting to preserve the car, its history, and maybe share it with the rest of the world. They restored the car, making an effort to keep it as Charlie originally built it, with the light blue paint, and of course the Lincoln 12 cylinder engine. They did a pretty nice job of it, at no cost to Mr. and Mrs. Ryan. And as an added bonus, they had a large copy of Charlie's Hot Rod Lincoln record made, and mounted it on the spare tire on the back of the car.

Then the magazine did the write-up with pics, and included the story that I have just related. I hope I got most of it right. I'm sure I still have the magazine around here somewhere...haven't looked at it for years.

So the Hot Rod Lincoln...as far as I understand it, actually has not only a Lincoln V12 engine, but also the complete chassis and drivetrain from the Lincoln that Charlie crashed. And that pic showing it in red paint is not true to how he built it.

BTW...The song "Hot Rod Race", was written by Arkie Shibley...not Shelby.

3. scotts52

scotts52

FWIW, Charlie Ryan indeed passed away awhile back. I believe he spent his last days in Spokane,Wa. I've been told the song was written about him climbing the old grade out of Lewiston, Idaho when it was nothing but a bunch of old swithbacks. I've driven it and it's scare me too to go flying up that hill.

4. Deuces

Deuces

The only version I've ever heard since the early '70's was Commander Cody's.... I think it came out in '71...

5. Graffiti32

Graffiti32
    from Illinois

Check with Voodoo Larry I saw the car at his shop.

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

All of these names, times, bands, places, song versions, cars, crashes and still no one has told who Ron is and why he is hot? I am confused.

7. [​IMG]

Fuel retention..man what a ride

8. sololobo

sololobo

This is such an iconic classic tune, Charlie Ryan r.i.p. My soul brother Bill Kirchen ( we share the same birthday) keeps this baby alive and well at his shows. Bill was the guitar slinger for Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen, and now performs with his bands or with good friends playing around the country. Bill performed with The Hacienda Brothers a few years ago in Omaha and it is the most memorable show I have ever witnessed. With his guitar prowess and the great Dave Gonzales (ex Palidins and Hacienda brothers and now the fab. Stone River Boys) it was sensory overload. And of course our late great Chris Gaffney on vocals, guitars and outrageous accordian squezzing, it was the treat of a lifetime. r.i.p. brother Gaffney. My bro Rob Lee carries on the tradition here with his awesome Hot Rod Lincoln. Caution!! The Hoodlum is in the picture in bare naked attire!! Watch for a new look on the Hot Rod Lincoln y-block for this year! ~sololobo~

Attached Files: