Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 inch Posi or Locker Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheRustyRanch, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

I just took the third member out of my car because it was making a bad noise. When I took the carrier in half I had one bad spider gear. My question is that I have never seen a posi like this. It has no clutch at all and its not a detroit locker either. I has 4 spider gears and 4 coil springs with wear buttons that put pressure on one if the splined axle gears that is a cone style on the back side. What the crap is this think and were do I get parts. Cant order parts if I dont know what it is. Any Help????

2. SLCK64

SLCK64

If its like this, its Fords Trac-lok. Their Limited slip, Posi was GMs term.

[​IMG]

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Sounds like an Auburn locker or just a four pinion open Ford carrier.

4. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

Nope not like that, the four springs are in the case not a a center block. frome the outside it looks like a regular open carrier. And there are no clutches.

5. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

Not an open, and the carrier looks like a regular open 4 spider from the outside. But it has four springs and one of the axle gears is a cone on the back side were it goes into the carrier.

6. SLCK64

SLCK64

Can ya get a pic?

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Bolts that attach the ring gear on will look like they are counter sunk on a posi

8. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

I'll second the Auburn.

[​IMG]

9. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

Nope, not like that.

10. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

Here are some pics

9 inch 1.jpg

9 inch 2.jpg

9 inch 3.jpg

9 inch 4.jpg

11. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

That looks like something from the 50's era due to the fact there are no "webs" showing on the long side (picture 3) as in SLCK64's photo he provided.

Also notice the dates on the photo provided, maybe your is pre-1969 but after 1959 ?

12. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

I think I have one of those also, "Traction Loc" I will look when I get home, I can send you some pics. PM me. OOPS, just saw the exploded view

13. SLCK64

SLCK64

Def not an auburn. Well atleast it doesn't look like the auburns I've seen in recent past.

14. SLCK64

SLCK64

Also, trac lok was the name Ford used in the mid 60s not just late, like in the pic I provided. There should be some numbers on it somewhere. Any tags on the axle itself?

15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Looks like a "Lockrite" to me

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

This is not a trac lok, thare no clutch plates.

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ford had something called an Equalock before the Tractionloc...wonder is that what it is???

19. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

I did some checking and an Equalock is an early version of the track Lock and has clutches also. My unit doesnt have clutches at all.

20. Fordtudor37

Fordtudor37

Got this information from "therangerstation" website.

Axle Widths:
    • 65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches
    • 67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches
    • 71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches
    • 77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches
    • 67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches
    • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches
    • 66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches
    • 77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches
    • 67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches
    • 71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches
    • 64 Falcon 58 inches
    • 67 Cougar 60 inches
    • 67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)
    • 72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
    • 73-86 65.25 inches
    • 57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)
    • 66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
    • 67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches
    • 67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
    <HR>Where To Find:
    • 67-73 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars
    • 66-71 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks
    • 57-59 V8 Fords and Mercurys
    • 77-81 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks
    <HR>Type Of 9" Housings:
    • 67-73 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines
    • 57-68 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines
    • Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops
    • 69-77 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount
    <HR>How To Recognize 9" Housing Centers:
    • 57 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug
    • 58-59 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes
    • 60-67 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover
    • 63-77 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears
    <HR>Types of 9" Axles:
    • 28 spline axles cannot be shortened and resplined (they're tapered)
    • 72 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened
    • 73 and later 9" (cars) have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened

• 67-73 Mustang axles identified by wheel flange:
      • oval hole - 28 splines
      • two large holes and counter sunk center - 31 splines
    <HR>

More Facts:
    • 5 on 5 lug pattern is a truck pattern
    • A 9" complete rear axle is approximately 35 pounds heavier than an 8.8 rear axle with approximately the same components.
    • It is common to find a 9" in a old Falcon or Comet that has had a HIPO SMALL block with 31 splines and a locker.
    • If the case has two verticle RIBS ,from top to middle of case it is a good IRON type IF in the very center of this case there is the letter "N" than this is a NODULAR CASE (GREAT) this is the strongest factory case made BY FORD!!!
    • The ranger truck works good with a 9" from a 64 to 71 Falcon, Comet, some 65 to 69 Mustangs or 64 to 67 Ranchero V8 cars.

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

aint nothing ive ever seen,but you might try the ford barn them boys know their fords.if it was made by ford someone there will know what it is.

22. SLCK64

SLCK64

Im thinking its not a limited slip.

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

<CENTER>How to identify a “Posi”
    </CENTER>

The two basic types of “posi” units (posi is the G.M. name for its positive traction system which has been become a part of the nomenclature) are the early Equa lock and the subsequent Traction lock units ( I will refer to them here as “spools” to simplify things). I am not exactly sure when the Equa-locs first appeared, early units are scarce – I haven’t seen many prior to 1964/65 and these are quite rare.From what I have seen the Equa locs were used up until 1969, which is when I believe the Traction Loc units first appeared. There are visual and internal differences between the two spools and most parts do not interchange.

<CENTER>[​IMG]
    </CENTER>
    Shown above is an example of an equa loc in its carrier, you will note the recessed bolt holes and 5/8” headed bolts, as well the rough cast appearance of the cover assembly, it is not machined as it is in the Traction Loc units.

<CENTER>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </CENTER>
    Internally the number of clutch disc and plates differs between the equa loc and trac loc spools, the equa loc having only 3 fiber plates and 4 steel with one large belveder spring applying force.The trac loc unit utilizes 4 fiber plates and 5 steel plates, with 4 smaller springs applying force.Both equa lock and trac loc units were available in 2 pin and 4 pin varieties, in either 28 spline or 31 spline versions.The four pin 31 spline unit would be more commonly found as a trac loc piece. The four pin being the heavier duty unit utilizing 4 spider gears vs just two in the two pin variety (as noted in figure above a four pin variety will have actually just 3 pins and a two pin will in reality just have 1 pin- the number of spider gears is actually what is being referred to).Shown below are the internals of a four pin equa loc, note the five “fingers” on the steel clutch plates-the tiny circular tabs on outer edge- (trac loc units will have only 4).

<CENTER>[​IMG]
    </CENTER>

<CENTER>The traction loc

[​IMG]

</CENTER>Shown above is an open 28 spline spool (on left) and a traction loc “Posi” 28 spline 2 pin spool ( to the right).

<CENTER>[​IMG]
    </CENTER>
    Here is a close up of the trac loc spool, note recessed bolt holes through cover for holding ring gear on.

<CENTER>[​IMG] </CENTER>

Notice the flat surface around holes on the open spool.

<CENTER>[​IMG]

</CENTER>The heads of the bolts which pass through cover and fasten ring gear to the spool are also smaller on the trac loc piece 5/8” socket size, and they use a thin metal washer.

<CENTER>[​IMG]

</CENTER>The bolt retaining ring gear on the open spool is 3/ 4” socket size, no washer used.

<CENTER>[​IMG]
    </CENTER>
    Above are a 28 spline 2 pin traction loc unit and a 31 spline 4 pin trac loc unit, notice anything wrong?

[​IMG]

The arrows are pointing to the cracks in the 31 spline unit removed from an N case carrier.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this is the end result, a destroyed posi unit, this is even the improved cover – D0O part number, earlier units were even more prone to cracking here, thus the necessity for the Detroit Locker units used behind many of the higher performance applications.

<CENTER>Gears, Yokes etc.

</CENTER>[​IMG]

24. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

Its got to be a posi, I have never seen a open carrier with springs and a cone shaped side gear before. I dont think it is ford, because ford put there name and numbers on everything and its completely free of numbers or a name.

25. TheRustyRanch

TheRustyRanch
    from oregon

I figured it out. It is an early Auburn unit, with only one cone shaped side gear. Thanks for all your help. Thanks RustyRanch

26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Rusty.....I use Six States Driveline in NE Portland to do all my 9inch RearEnd Rebuilds. The two older guys in the shop at the back of the building really know their stuff. They carry parts as well. Not cheap, but really good and warranteed.....May at least be worth a call if you need pieces. Ask for Don. Cheers....

27. oldskoolsalt

oldskoolsalt

I just did a search and found this thread so I thought I would give a little info and ask a question.

First off I just got this NEW Auburn unit which looks like the one in question here, so they are still making them!

Second, does therustyranch or anyone else have good or bad experience with this unit ?? I know his spider gear failed but was this while racing or street use....As I have no experience with this type of unit.

Thanks,

Greg

Attached Files:

28. oldskoolsalt

oldskoolsalt

Anyone??????????

29. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas