Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

2. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

That top middle picture of Ronnie Evans in the 7/11 also shows Lou Fray standing in front of the car. Great shots. Denny Z

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I’m still looking for &/or info. on the #4 Tommy Smart/Tony Bonadies (Bronx, NY) ... BILL ZERILLO (Long Island, NY) .... AliJon (Al & John Depelagreni) (Bronx, NY) .... Harry’s Jewlers (Pawling, NY) car pictured below.

Yes, that's the same car.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      474.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      497 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      120.3 KB
      Views:
    • 7.png
      7.png
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

What a strange coincidence, Ken! I just came across this car looking through things this morning and was very curious about the history!

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here is a really VERY belated reply to this one, but I was waiting to find my verification.

This definitely was not the USAC 200 mile road race (two 100 mile heats) at IRP on June 24th 1961.

I had a very close up and personal view of Ward as he lapped me 10 times total in the two heats, in his LEADER CARD PORSCHE. LOL

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I believe that is 1962 or 63. Ward had that helmet visor one of those years, but not 1961.

7. Flubyu

Flubyu

I asked Mike a week ago about this such photo of him fying in the Porter Goff Easter Egg car, he said they were getting tangled up ahead of him and the best way to miss the accident was to floor it and head straight for the infield tire barrier. The car came down on all fours as if nothing happened but it does make for a good photo op. Mike had a birthday a few weeks back so Happy Birthday even if a couple of few weeks late!

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Justin ..

I just sent an eMail your way.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

28dreyer and Jim Nise, I appreciate the help in getting the date right on the Rodger Ward pic at IRP.

10. jimg12

jimg12

Again John how good these posts are. Also I have never seen a nose on a midget likethat in Roger's photo. Jim Graybeal

11. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Neither have I, Jim. I was there that day and meant to ask Watson about it, but never got around to it. During the race, they wrote "OUT TO TEA" on the blackboard, propped it up against a tool box, and hid somewhere behind the rail when Rodger came by.

12. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Northeastern Midget Association

Attached Files:

13. the shadow

the shadow

Well my search continues for a complete In & out with a quick change set up. after PM'ing a few fellow members at the advice of "28dreyer" I figured I'd put my request under this post for any of you other guys that may have a lead or have one for sale?
    the box needs to be an In/ Out set up with a quick change to go behind a V8-60, I don't have a QC rear so thats why I need the Qc on the I/O. I have found a bunch of regular I/O's and one that has the QC but that one is in-complete or rigged up wrong?
    PM me if you have any promising leads, I am kinda at a standstill till I find one!
    thanks,
    Paul

14. DocF

DocF

I'm trying to round up names and phone numbers of several of the old midget racers in West Michigan who might have information for you. Do you need an in/out plus change box for a cut or an uncut V8-60 block?

Doc

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

17. the shadow

the shadow

I was planning on a I/O w/QC box for a cut v8-60 block. If there is a I/O with a QC for a v8-60 block with a full bell I could make that work as well? I appreciate you guys trying to help me out. thats what I like about the Hamb, someone is always helping someone out if they can! I wasn't around when my car or others ran so everyday that I work on it . talk to you guys ,read posts or view old pics I learn alittle more about the brave guys who drove these mighty midgets.
    Just let me know if you find out any leads.
    thanks,
    paul

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  18. the shadow

the shadow

wanted to give you guys a heads up on some good pictures of early midgets from the north east. I stumbled on a Face book page dedicated to exactly that "Early Midget racing in the north east" go to face book and do a search with that title. You don't have to be a facebook member to view the pics. I signed up and put my info in hopes someone from the upper north east may recognize my car? check it out if you can.

Paul

19. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Paul,

Tried that search on Facebook but got 0 results for a FB page. Can you post a link to the page maybe? Thanks.

Mike

20. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

What a great collection of photos,one of the best I've seen on the web. Thanks.

22. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks again, Jim.

24. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

<a href="http://www.sodahead.com/living/is-midget-a-racist-word/question-23824/?link=ibaf&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q-UGS8uIOOI/SqQfCrL6T2I/AAAAAAAAAHc/ec3QhTSax9U/s400/Midgets.png&q=">[​IMG]<br> pics on Sodahead</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Just found two more full boxes of negatives, from shots I took in the 70's & 80s (probably more than 1000 35mm negs). Here is an Original Gordon Outboard, that came into the shop as a "genuine" basket case. Came in with the original frame cut into three sections, Original alum, tail, cowl & nose, * and a couple of ACTUAL bushel baskets were in his back set, filled with running gear parts and pieces etc! and axles and other parts in the trunk...Turned out pretty darned nice, I think..<O:p></O:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Flubyu

Flubyu

Doing research on a Washington state driver Stan Muir who was the Washington state midget champion in 1948 and was a very tallented shoe from what I have read, he appears to have race well into the 1950's and then no more info? I have found a few photos of his ride and from what my research turns up he had a brother Johny who also raced. I believe he was from around the Spokane Wa area and raced into all over the West Cost. Can anyone help fill in the blanks for me, cant find alot of info on him and to be honest and it seems odd with what accomplishments he has credited not to find much by way of "world wide web"?

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Too bad Santa has already been here. Check this out on e-bay...

<TABLE class=sp1 cellPadding=3 summary="Other item info"><TBODY><TR><TD class=inf_lab vAlign=top align=left width="1%">Item number:</TD><TD vAlign=top>280814526599</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

29. DocF

DocF

Well, this is certainly a midget of real history. It is so far over-restored that it is not funny. The question is do you want a showpiece that is trailered and parked in a glass box or do you want something that you can take a lap at Eldora at a decent speed.

If I had the money to buy this, I would take it out, get it muddy, get some stone dings in it and generally make it look like a race car.

This ranks right up there with the "restoration" of Greg Flato's old #52 D&D Heet Offy. Greg had a good, not great, Kurtis Offy that many very fine drivers drove over the years. It was rarely washed, let alone polished. The wheels were all painted a hideous shade of yellow, the chrome was peeling and the upholstery ratty. The car had a heavy crank in the engine, so it was really at home on the miles. A brave shoe could flat foot the big tracks without risking blowing the engine.

Doc

30. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Joe,
    This beauty is now on display at EMMR. You folks did some great work.
    You are right about the found condition of this car, it was just pieces that looked like an old TQ. I saw it at Carlisle and thought it was beyond restoration.
    You lucked out having your dad. He taught you a hell of a lot about these early cars. I was lucky to have known him. He was always kind and helpful to me.