Register now to get rid of these ads!

bleeding heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brd52f2, Jan 24, 2012.

1. brd52f2

brd52f2
    from white, ga.

After a run hours my rebuilt 239 flathead is bleeding coolant from around both heads. Is this a common issue and needs retorqued or is it more serious? some say yes others say no. I need good news. It only leaks when it cooled down. And still has great compression.

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Retorque and go from there. Just out of curiousity, are they used aluminum heads?

3. brd52f2

brd52f2
    from white, ga.

No. They are as iron as is gets

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes retorque it. You did use the correct torque pattern/sequence when you torqued the heads the first time????

I think it is the norm rather than the exception to retorque flathead heads.

Although most "experts" say torquing the heads in two or three increments is fine I have found that I run into less trouble if I do more and smaller increments when torquing any heads. It takes a bit longer and is a bit more tedious but seems to help eliminate problems later.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Retorque when cool.
    My head bled for a couple weeks, but I had just had a tumour removed!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you lay a straight edge across them before installing them? Unless you had them resurfaced they may be just a bit warped.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Weeping around the outside edge, or from the studs/bolts?

8. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Make sure your torque wrench is accurate. I had your problem, and the cause was the clicker type torque wrench giving me a very incorrect too-low torque.

9. brd52f2

brd52f2
    from white, ga.

Ill check in to it. Thanks

10. brd52f2

brd52f2
    from white, ga.

Ill try the retorqued method. As far as i know the guy that rebuilt it which i trust did it to his best of knoledge. I know he followed the bolt pattern and even sealed some of the bolts. As far as being warped. God i hope not. Hopefully this can be fixed with a little turn of the old fashion wrench.

11. I always use a good pipe sealer and head studs kit on my 8ba's. I also use a small amount of block sealer of some sort like solder seal or bars leak just for security. after break in I drain all breakin fluids and replace them. Then I add antifreeze and watter pump lube as needed just use caution in winter time, dont want that puppy to freeze...

12. brd52f2

brd52f2
    from white, ga.

I hear ya. There no leaking from bolts just outer edges. Im sure a retorque will fix it. This is first restoration and alot of things im finding out the hard way. Ill know next time..

13. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Even the stock heads can warp, I had to have mine milled. If you can't get them to stop leaking, you might have to do that. It's not that expensive, just a pain to take it all back apart.