Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rubber rake spare ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john worden, Jan 23, 2012.

1. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

When running a mild rubber rake what size spare do you recommend? Front size, rear size or a size in between?

2. squirrel

squirrel

depends...does it have an open rear or some type of locker or limited slip? can you fit a larger tire on the front?

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

One size fits all...
    [​IMG]

I know most people hate this crap (especially tire guys) but it will get you 30 miles in a pinch.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

You ever tried cleaning that out of a rim?? You'd change your mind on using it!

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I know, I know, believe me I know..... But sometimes drastic times call for drastic measures.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hell no! Doesn't work. Makes a helluva vibration maker though!

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

Does the spare in a can work in a tire with a tube?
    or will it just blow out where the valve stem fits thru the wheel?

8. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I just carry a tire plug kit in my too lbag .I also carry an air hose that I can hook to the other tires to refill the flat one steel a little from the other three then air them all back up when you get to a gas station.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd choose a tire size in the middle of your range. Or get a tire plug kit and a small air compressor (I can use my air ride tank!) as it takes up less space than a spare. Or just skip it and just call road service. If you do get a spare, be sure to check it for air now and then!!! Gary

10. squirrel

squirrel

My wife has a plug kit and small compressor in her OT sporty car that has serious tire size difference front/back.

She has the stuff to fix a flat, only to prevent her from getting one. Something about Murphy's Law. It's worked so far....

11. My spare matches my front tire ... full fendered car, rear tire size won't fit under the front fender without issues.

I also carry a plug kit and a small compressor (wired in a "lighter" so I can charge the cell and power my GPS). I won't go near that aerosol tire repair stuff (although it did save a friends motorcycle from a tow years ago).

12. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Years ago for an OT 4WD truck I had a hose with a fitting that screwed into the spark plug hole and you ran the engine to pump up a plugged or slow leaker with raw fuel fumes..it worked well.

13. Well Traditionally a pair of tubes and a pair of spoons would do. Seriously if it's full fendered you would have to carry the front tire size. With a big rake and a rear flat, it makes for an interesting ride. Been there, done that, can you say teeter-totter?

14. Carry a plug kit and fix a flat on the road. Both have lasted thousands of miles after a fix.

15. That's what I was thinking. Or just the tubes and AAA to get you to a tire place and make them do it.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The real answer to your question is REAR.
    Most flats occur in rear tires for the simple fact that a nail or screw in the road lies down harmlessly until the front tire hits it and it tumbles. The rear tire catches it and there's your puncture.
    Also it's better for your differential to carry the rear size spare.

17. outlaw256

outlaw256

never have thought about it. i just grab a wheel that fits the car that has a decent tire on it and off i go. if i have a flat i put the spare on it till i get home.then fix my flat and away i go again.

18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Thanks for the tips. John

19. darkk

darkk

You carry a spare?

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have a problem on my 37 Buick, 'cause there's no rubber rake. I do, however, carry a spare water pump, fuel pump and ignition components. For some reason the Straight 8 parts aren't usually on the shelf at NAPA anymore.

21. Gator

Gator

I carry a space saver in my '33 Plymouth, hardly room for anything else. I do also carry a tire plug kit, a mini compressor, and a can of fix-a-flat. I agree with Squirrel, kind of a Murphy's law deal.

Funny thing, had a shock break in my '51 Caddy on the way to the Hunnert car pileup a few years back. Had to borrow a jack for a roadside repair - someone asked "No jack? What would you do if you had a flat?"

I said it wouldn't matter, as I didn't have a spare.

BTW, on the Fix-a-flat stuff, I've heard you always when you get the tire fixed you need to let them know you used it, as the gas/mixture is flammable. Not sure if that's an 'urban myth' or what.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

BTW, on the Fix-a-flat stuff, I've heard you always when you get the tire fixed you need to let them know you used it, as the gas/mixture is flammable. Not sure if that's an 'urban myth' or what. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

No, but it ruins the rubber making a correct repair difficult as the patch cement won't bond as well.

23. More than that, it is a courtesy to tell the tire guy there is sealant in the tire so he doesn't get a facefull of slime:eek: Never had an issue if I let them know ahead of time.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm going to run something in the middle. Right now I have 7.50's out back and 5.50's up front. So for my spare I was thinking about a 6.50 so I can at least hobble it home whether I need to put it out back or up front. If all else fails, AAA Gold Card is the best investment when driving and old car.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't carry a spare because I don't have room for a 29" tire anywhere, and anything smaller would not help unless the flat was up front. I have AAA to help in a pinch, and keep good rubber underneath. So far I haven't needed AAA, or a spare, so hope my luck holds out.

26. oldpaint

oldpaint

Back when I was a kid I blew a rear tire on my 53 chevy. It was after midnite and there was any traffic, tire was shot, so I drove it home about 5 miles on the rim. It was a little bumpy at first but when the tire came off it was smooth running. Sure ruined the steel wheel, but we had plenty of those. Parked out back so dad won't see it in the morning.

I wouldn't recommend driving on the rim, but a small spare will get you out of trouble. I carry space saver spares in my rides.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  27. grazy

grazy

Yes always tell the guys about fix-a-flat, they dont like to spill that stuff down the front of their clothes . We get alot of cars headed to Goodguys events close by so I see what is forgotten . Another thing we see is guys have lugnuts on mags that cant be used on spare wheels . If thats the case make sure you have 5 lug nuts for your spare. We carried a low profile jack from a mid 80s Trans-Am in our leadsled lowered 57 Ford it had a good safe larger base also. Space savers fit under the fenders they clear disc brakes and just about all suspension set ups .They only are only needed to run you to a tire shop. We use newer Lincoln space saver spares in our cars they are on standard Ford bolt pattern 5 lug alloy wheels.