Register now to get rid of these ads!

What part of a Hot Rod build do you find the most difficult???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Amen!

2. norms30a

norms30a

upholstery, when I do some it looks like very amateur work.

3. robertsregal

robertsregal

Replacing wire harness with little or no tech support from keep it clean wiring!

4. fordor41

fordor41

Trying to figure out why aftermarket companies haven't figured out that they really don't know crap about what they're selling or how/why it works or doesn't work,

5. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

sticking to the plan, money, time, dmv, allof the above, 1st one cost me a small portion of the national debt in 1960's money, 2nd 1 a whole lot less, Cliff

6. That is the real truth there....

7. n847

n847

Body work, and just plain old getting started!

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Fixing little things after the car is done.

My right turn signal doesn't work.
    Bulb? Nooooooooooooooo

It's somewhere in the new wiring under dash- probably at the turn signal toggle mounted in my gauge panel. Either bad toggle or bad crimp.
    This means I have to pull the panel for access to diagnose & repair.
    10 months later, I'm still driving w/ no right signal.

9. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Funding is a big issue, but as far as the work I guess it would be the painting anymore for me. I have asthma an the new paints out there are not people friendly so I am now dependant on other peoples help,something I am not use to doing at my age.

10. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

That's funny!!

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

For me its "Fire Starting",.... Oh,.. I mean "Wiring" :eek:,... Yes it's true,.. I have smoked two of my wiring attempts,.. And actually set one on fire. :(

After my Brother passed away,.. He left me some tools and boxes of stuff, One of the boxes was full of wire,.. Ends, fuse panels, all electrical stuff,.. Without missing a beat My Son wrote on the box,...
    "Dads Fire Starting Kit !",....Totally no respect !!!:eek:

12. Zaq

Zaq

Body work sucks.
    And finding money to get anything.

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am starting to think doing cycle fenders is no fun, now that I am onto them...

14. Mr. Carachi

Mr. Carachi

For me it's any time I have a long stint that I can't work on the project, which happens more often then I would like. Cause during that time I sure as hell can come up with some shit to do to it! Of course then I get back home and what I have is absolutely nothing like how I remembered it...so hardly ever do the brilliant ideas I had while away end up working out in reality.

15. boutlaw

boutlaw

For me, its paint and body work.

16. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

The metal work has to be the most time consuming part of the build. Unless you start with a solid body.i have already completed all new body mounts, floorpans,trunkpan,rear section around trunklid, trans tunnel,one rocker,and one lower cowl and still not done. I enjoy the build as much as the finished product.....some do not understand that-its my med's.

17. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Getting my parts purchases home and in shop without my wife seeing them.

18. Time, Money and Body Work.................

19. maximumslinky

maximumslinky
    from wyoming

Not getting too drunk. We always start with good intentions. Crack a beer and it lasts for almost an hour while we work, but then we take a break and a few more get opened and before your know it, I'm 3 shades of drunk and have to call the wife to come get me. Rolling Rock has really slowed my progress.

20. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

paying for it!

the rest of it is gravy.

-danny

21. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Just be like UPS, just make only left turns.

Thanks,
    "Skrach"
    My Vintage Blog:
    www.VividlyVintage.com
    My 55 Chrysler Worklog:
    www.Pop's55.com

22. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

True funny story poped into my head . Years ago my Dad and I went to the DMV. I call it the KGB!, Anyway Dad is in front of me in line. Im not even sure what he is regestering has an arm full of papers. His turn comes up. The woman gives him three more papers to fill out. He looked at her all serious and said "I cant read or wright you will have to help me!" I'm still in line dam near pissing myself., Others are chuckeling. The woman then made two of the papers disapear. (I guess they wern't too important.) And had him sign the last one. Good ol' DAD!~ As for the question I hate wireing. But would rather do that then go to the DMV! Next time the DMV gives you a line of crap throw that line on them!

23. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Whats difficult? Having to be patient and holding back in some ways with my build as i don't have alot of money. The hardest part has been prioritising what to do and when. I have a priced list/planner for my build on the garage wall and i'm slowly getting through it, very slowly!! I'm still saving for small parts but hopefully the car gets its first major mod very, very soon, a healthy 3" drop with new parts throughout. I just have to stay positive and get the car ready as much as i can until i have the parts. Can't wait to see it lowered:cool:

24. Like a lot of other things in life....the devil is in the details.

25. my biggest problem is keeping the enthusiasm(sp?)intrest up when the funds are low

and sometimes finding someone to help do something im not sure about

26. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Well my build is on going and a ways from being even a yard driver. I have to say sheetmetal repair and body work presently. But I am diving in and doing the best that I can on my budget.

27. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

28. In my opinion, finding parts is the most difficult part. Back when I was a kid and then a young man I spent hours scouring over parts cars in junk yards looking at parts and thinking what I could use it on. Now all I can find are Hyundais and other plastic crapmobiles in salvage yards. If you do spot an old car in one, its so dilapidated that nothing but stainless is salvageable from it. Thats why so many people now just order parts from Speedway and the like, they can't get stuff used anymore.If you can't afford a machine shop you have to order everything.

29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I hear you on that.
    I all ways seem to miss a little.
    Just dont seem to have the eye for it...

30. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Trying to stay focused on ne project is damn near impossible for me..