Register now to get rid of these ads!

Awesome stuff i picked up this week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Insane 49, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Insane 49

Insane 49

So my pops had fallen on rough times so i hadn't expected to get anything for Christmas, and as Christmas came and went his finances proved me right. He had came over Christmas day and we enjoyed each others company as we always do (3-4 times a week, I think he's at my house more than his own, wouldn't have it any other way I love my pops.) and we were hangin' in the shop b.sn about my car and my plans for it, and he asked if i had decided on the engine i was going to put in it and if i had located it. I said yes that i had decided and yes i had a couple located and thats where the conversation stopped. So fast forward to last Sunday, I was in the shop workin on my ride and dad calls me up and asked if i was ready to go get my engine, I said no because i hadn't procured my cash yet and in a very serious tone he said "son, now is that what i asked you?" "well dad no it wasn't" so he asked again. I said, "yes sir I am ready to get my engine." And here is where it gets really good. I had known about this engine for about 2 years or so and kept in constant contact with the man so when i called and asked him if he was ready to make some money he said sure come and get it. I was buying a 409 for my 49 deluxe for 300 dollars seemed like a bargain to me. We loaded the block and the heads and 3 large boxes of misc. parts and headed home. When we got it all unloaded we tore into the boxes to see what we got and I, being really knowledgeable about all things Chevrolet about passed out when I started laying out parts, inside one of the boxes was a brand new factory dual quad intake, all the necessary full engine gasket kit in triplicate, and a Z-11 forged crank. (yes it's legit I checked it 5 times) The block is an 814 type block, and i got a single 4 barrel aluminum intake and 2 aluminum water pumps. I about died. So there we were in the shop drooling over my new stuff that dad had got me and he leans over and says "Merry Christmas" I didnt sleep well that night, way too excited,. So I get a call a couple of days later after I had finally touched the ground again and it was dad asking if i was ready to go get my other engine? I didn't say anything stupid and he picked me up and we were gone again. This time to pick up a 280 horse 348 4 barrel out of a '60 impala, dad lays down the cash and we come home with a complete running carb to drain plug 348. I now have 2 "W" motors for a sum of 800 bucks. Today rolls around and I'm chatting with my neighbor, who is fascinated with all my cool stuff I always have laying around, and he says he has something that I may be interested in. I stroll over to his workshop and he digs around for a minute and produces a STUDA-MOTIV dual quad intake that has the baddest ass aircleaners I've ever seen and the correct carburetors for my 409 plus an equally bad ass set of polished ribbed offenhauser valve covers for a stude. I asked him what he wanted for those items and he said "Your'e probably the youngest person I've ever met with an eye for vintage speed equipment and all things traditional and actually knows what they're doing with it. Hell if you put it to good use this stuff is yours I don't need it, Hell I ai'nt even got a stude, use what you can and trade the rest for what you need." This has been the greatest week ever!!!! I had to share it with my Hamb- boys.

2. Awesome stuff.

3. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Thats great, good for you.And put it to good use;)

4. Old&Low

Old&Low

Great score, being with your Dad and Hot Rods; your engines are nice too!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the best HAMB stories I've read in a long time, thanks for sharing with us. Bob

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

A cool story like this requires pics.

7. madgrinder

madgrinder

I wanna see some intakes!!! :cool:

8. Jimv

Jimv

Pics please!
    JimV

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Very Cool story man........

If you would like to sell the Studebaker Stuff, I would like first shot please.
    Yes - I have a 55 Stude that the intake, carbs and valve covers would look period cool on my custom era stude.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cob

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. Sound's like CARMA.
    you are good man. Probubly infunce from "Pop".

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Fanbloodytastic! you sound pleased and you should be! The bonus is you got to spend more time with your "Pops". Post some photos!.

David

12. badshifter

badshifter

Pics or it's just another story.

13. pumpman

pumpman

Sounds like you should buy a lotto ticket. Great story with great results, nice to hear.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Take some of that money you saved and get yourself a $20 camera so we believe you.:eek:

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

geesh you won the score of the week prize , next thing you know some lil ole lady will drop by and ask if you can use 2 dozen warm chocolate chip cookies and a gallon of milk

16. Well, all right! That's awesome!!

17. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Pics or it ain't so

18. russ1403

russ1403

im with BBYBMR on this one

19. Insane 49

Insane 49

Hey fellas I have the craziest work schedule. Pictures of said treasures can be found in my album. Let me know what you think.

20. Insane 49

Insane 49

I work 70+ hrs. a week and with the HAMB going through a tune-up my thread had been misplaced and I coudn't find it so it has taken awhile to let you all know where you could find the pics that didn't make a story teller out of me. Happy viewing.

21. Zerk

Zerk

Your Dad is the business.

22. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Wonder what Pop wants? Most likely nothing, would be his answer. So snoop around and surprise him. Even if it is something small. Giving things to good people - when you can just leave it laying around and never say nothing about it. It will make you feel good on the inside.

23. 4psi

4psi

Cool story man!!! I am from OKC myself. Glad to see things are going your way!