Register now to get rid of these ads!

Generator pulley on alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goozgaz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I'm converting my generator to an alternator.

The pulley on my original generator is a 2 groove type. Can I swap that pulley on to a modern alternator??

Actually not sure why it uses 2 belts??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

It should work, some engines use two belts for various reasons. Without knowing what engine it is, it's hard to say.

Just make sure the nut will go on all the way, and that the shaft is the same size, the fan clears, etc. If not, then you might have to find another pulley, but most alternatos with double pulleys (70s Mopars mostly) have the belts closer together

3. R Pope

R Pope

Gen pulleys are bigger diameter than alt pulleys. The alt will turn slower than it really should, might not charge real good at low speeds around town.
    Any truck or tractor dealer will have the proper double alt pulley.

4. they make aftermarket pulleys for you ! I have one kickin around someplace , along with the sling-shot bracket ,,,,, you can purchase both at Speedway

5. twofosho

twofosho

A lot of Mopar alternators had/have 2 grove pulleys on them stock. Not uncommon on Dodge pickups. Late 80s/early 90s AC setup used four belts with two of those wrapping around the alternator pulley making 2 groves mandatory. Common on slant sixes too, even if they didn't come with AC. No clue why so many slants came that way and only use one belt, but it makes it pretty easy to find an alternator with a two grove pulley.

6. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

It came out of of my 60 Lincoln 430.

So are the mopar alt internal regulated 1 wire?

What years model would I ask for at the parts store since the kid behind the counter will ask me for specifics for his computer.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

When we got belts for the 70s Mopars we'd ask for a matched pair and they would come tie wrapped together so there are factory Mopar dual belt pulleys out there. I don't know if they are still sold like that but they were at one time.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need to match the id of the pulley with the shaft diameter of the alternator.

Make sure that you get an alternator with enough amperage output to keep up with the accessories on the Lincoln.

9. squirrel

squirrel

no.

But you can buy a double groove pulley for a GM alternator from street rod shops, ebay, etc.

Looks to me like the belt spacing on yours is wider than the newer ones...

10. jimvette59

jimvette59

Ask your self, what RPMs does the generator/ Alternator have to turn at idle.