Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed with Mercury 51 restoration

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by KariVee, Dec 2, 2011.

1. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

Hi to all of you, and sorry to bother with "not so kustom issue".
    I would appreciate if someone could help us out with this one.

My father inlaw had a 51 Mercury in his barn here in Finland, and we made a restoration deal with a pro, to bring the car back alive. Estimated date to be finished in summer 2013, so 1,5 yrs to go.

Now, I do need some parts for it, and I do not have a clue where to find old Mercury parts in USA. I know that model is one of the most kustomized car there is, so all those needed parts like moldings, switches, rear lamps, door handles etc will lay in many garage shelf ripped off from original cars, I just need to find some of those places. OR any contacts with possible source of parts. OR Mercurys in any junkyard.

Now, I do have some people I know in your country, and those I know does not know much about old cars, but I do hope some of you could give us at least some connections or hints, so I could find a link to a specific chat forum, website, club, etc, in order to find people who has those parts needed in this project of ours.

So if anyone could help me, with not investing too much effort, I'd appreceate that a lot.

My plan and hope is to find a contact in USA, so we could fly there and bring some of those smaller parts back to Finland in our suit cases, at the same time we would have a few days holiday and adventure in your country

Well that "suit case" was more or less a joke, we would gargo them here, but we would fly there, because it's almost 9 years ago I visited your country last time, so I want to be back, and now I would have a good reason for it.

So, if someone has a lead, please post it to me if possible, thanks.
    And hey, my facebook profile is here:
    http://facebook.com/virtanen.kari
    click to be a friend, I would appreciate that.

Thank you and all the best,
    sincerely,
    Kari V-
    Finland

[​IMG]

2. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

Ok, thank you so much!
    I will first go through those links, thanks.

Kari-

3. Karvi,Welcome to the HAMB,,,Now please INTRODUCE YOURSELF to all members..a little personal history ,,READ the "sticky" at the top of this page..follow Ryans protocol..The "wanted" section here in the HAMB classifieds is also available to you.

4. ford51

ford51
    from sweden

Welcome.cool!

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Welcome from Finland!
    I am not sure,but i think i've heard about your car...If the pro lives near Pori,who you have hired.

6. low merc51

low merc51

Welcome !!!!!!

7. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

Jep, Kaitsu is the guy, you are right Finnrodder :) I was visiting him Friday again. Car is in pieces now and all is in order. Some parts are already on their way from USA.

And about introduction, I really do not know what might be "important information", but let's try: 48 yrs, male, married, biker, driving black -99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate, wife has -11 750 Honda Black Spirit (I think they are selling it as "Phantom" in US). Sober, hansom, tall, intelligent, funny, as you can see :)

So, I truly appreceate you guys and your hobby (life?) and I have already got lots of help from you in this forum, thanks a lot and more is needed :)

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I knew it!
    My bro has made some deals with Kaitsu,mostly bought some Chevy Pick-up parts from him.
    And Kaitsu hired my brother to make a tin roof for his new garage.Kaitsu mentioned my bro that he is working with a barn find Merc.We dont have much barn find Mercs in here,so i figured out that this must be the same car.
    Btw.hamb classifieds are good place to spot parts for your project.I've made few really nice(and rare) scores via classifieds for my shoebox project.

9. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Welcome to the HAMB. Your Mercury looks very much like one of mine. Maybe even in better shape body wise. Mine was Banning Blue with a Mission Gray top when it was new. Your picture has the blue but with a dirty top, it is hard to tell the color.

If you can, keep a picture record of your resto project and post 1 or 2. I was brought home as a baby in a 1951 Mercury and it was the first car I drove.

Kerby

10. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

I tried to post some photos here, but need to get them smaller... Just do not know how, but I'll try to solve that.
    Thanks,
    Kari-

11. You can used photobucket to host pics, and it also uses fotoflexer to edit pictures.

12. SportSedan

SportSedan

Wellcome Kari !

13. take pics and send them 2 us... try mercuryland for alot of NOS and salvage stuff.. watch ebay, search for a post by prostreet jon (I think he posted) about a list of venders.. check on a guy named rik on here, he's posted ALOTA stuff and could be of value to you overseas

and its RIKSTER- god I suck

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  14. well its pro STOCK john- I stand corrected.. and his post is a few above this one, and he has compiled a very good list that has been a help to many of us on here.. and can never be given enough credit for it...thanks John- sorry I screwed up your tag... and you can try MACs antique auto

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Get an image resizer.I cant remember the website,but i found one with google and it was free.

16. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

Thank you very much moonlitrn! I will continue based on these advises of yours, thanks.
    Kari V-

17. KariVee

KariVee
    from Finland

Jep, thanks Finnrodder, need to get one.
    Kari V-

18. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres a link to an awesome image optimizer that I use on all of mine... Nice merc BTW. I love the 4dr 51's because the lenght of the 1/4 panel flows perfectly with the lenghth of the doors. NOT ENOUGH UN-CHOPPED MERCS LEFT.

http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Download.aspx

I ALSO HAVE A FRIEND HERE IN MISSOURI THAT HAS SOME MERC STUFF HE IS TRYING TO SELL.

19. Glad the list is helpful, I'm still buying parts myself. :)

20. king of the mercs

king of the mercs

Welcome to the hamb.....

21. 60 ford

60 ford

Welcome from Indiana.

22. marman1950

marman1950

Here is a great place for mercury parts. They are called Merc-land. I have bought from them before with no problems. 1-308-946-2564

23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

24. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!