Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical French flathead oil filter system

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi 4d, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just checking for any info. on creating a full flow oil system on a french block. ( well OK not true full flow the rear main misses out) It is an SF flathead block with the governor taken off and plugged. I have done a couple of ford blocks before but this one is different. Can we put plug in the internal passage that goes further into the block past the two oil outlets the same as a stock ford block. And can we use the outlet that is way down low on the block that comes in a parallel passage from the oil pump? Sorry i dont have any pics at present its at the shop.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

If you can get your hands on a Mike Davidson 'flat attack" book it's got the diagrams of what to drill and what to block off. Hes a smart guy. Nigel.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have "Flathead Fever" , "Street Flathead" and "Flathead Tuning". Unless I missed it these books didnt cover the French block oil system. The Frenchies have another oil port down low on the block.
    He shows the standard oil drill plug and plumb method.

4. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Yes you can. Just enlarge the top hole. Drill and tap the the internal passage that comes up from the oil pump. Then use the bottom outlet to go to the filter then back in at the top. Hope that makes sense. I have done this method on about 20 French Flatheads.
    The bottom outlet on the block is a metric thread not NPT.

Cheers Jim

www.royalkustoms.com

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, So you drill and tap the block vertically in the top internal passage . Rather than horizontally ,like ford blocks. I suppose we could re tap the lower oil port NPT. Thanks will be aware of metric threads now.

6. big jungle jim

big jungle jim

Yep. In the vertical passage at the top. Just make sure the plug sits below the horizontal passage.

7. FlatJan

FlatJan

so the none plugged hole on the right in the photo is metric?
    do you know the size?

Attached Files:

• oil2.JPG
      oil2.JPG
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
  8. FlatJan

FlatJan

does anybody know the thread size?